Does Slow Johnny still pull the wings off flies

Old January 13th 21, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Does Slow Johnny still pull the wings off flies

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 11:57:31 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 12:58:06 +0700, John B.
wrote:
But of course, back in the day, the common people were not encouraged
to read the bible which was intended for only the Clergy. Imagine, if
one allowed the Hoi Polloi to read it think of all the different
interpretations of "The Word" that might emerge.

No need to imagine. The story of William Tyndale and his printed
translation of the Latin bible into English in 1535 illustrates what
did happen with the GUM (great unwashed masses) were able to read the
bible without requiring a priestly interpretation or a knowledge of
Latin:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyndale_Bible

Before moveable type They would engrave and entire page and print with that.. These engravings had limited life because the tinplates would wear out rapidly. The advantage of the moveable type was that you could replace a single worn out character. his allowed mass manufacturing of Bibles. Originally they were all in Latin until the Reformation. Martin Luther made an impression. Up until the 1950's in printing rooms they would employ people that checked for worn typefaces.
Old January 13th 21, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 3:28:55 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 10:29:58 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 4:37:08 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 15:24:25 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 15:19:35 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 1/11/2021 1:21 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Among architects, the use of custom fonts is quite common. The idea
is that if someone pirates the architects work, the unique fonts would
make the theft obvious in a court of law. In the distant past, we had
three architects offices in the office building. All of them used
custom fonts. I don't know if they still do that today.

Right, I had my all-caps scrawl digitized as a TrueType
font. Probably something like that.

Sorry, but your scribbling has probably been copyrighted:
https://www.1001fonts.com/illegible-fonts.html
https://www.fontget.com/discover/illegible/
https://www.myfonts.com/tags/illegible
etc...

My favorite font is "Faux Hebrew". Sending formatted email or letters
to my Jewish friends often results in confusion (followed by
profanity):
https://www.google.com/search?q=faux+hebrew+font&tbm=isch

The ultimate in penmanship are the torah scribes. They transcribe the
entire 304,805 word Torah with pen and ink by hand. It takes about 2
years. No corrections are allowed. One mistake and the scrolls are
destroyed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sefer_Torah
It's quite an art and takes many years of practice to achieve
perfection. A new torah scroll will cost between $15,000 and $50,000
depending mostly on the quality and consistency of the script:
https://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Kosher-Written-Scroll-Reconditioned/dp/B003AT9RKM
One of my uncles was a draftsman in Israel back in the 1960's. He
augmented his income transcribing torah scrolls.
Not to disparage the Torah but until the 1440's all "books" were hand
written :-)

More fake news? Books were printed with hand made metal presses in the 1300's. 1440, was the first Guttenberg movable type press.

Were they? Can you prove your statement that hand made metal presses
were in use in the 1300'? or is it just another figment of your
imagination?

Old Joe Gutenberg's first identifiable work is the Gutenberg's 31-line
Indulgence which is known to already exist on 22 October 1454.
The so called Gutenberg Bible, which was completed and according to
contemporary sources first sold in 1455.

John, you continue not only to prove you aren't a Catholic, but have no religion at all. The Catholic church mass printed bibles in Latin for every diocese and most priests had to READ the service since they hadn't been trained in the church but were members of the royalty for that area. Are you suggesting the literally hundreds of thousands of Bibles were copied by hand? Take your "show me proof" and shove it up your ignorant ass.
Old January 13th 21, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

So tell me Tommy, just when did this Catholic mass printing take
place? Or is this another of your delusions?

And "and most priests had to READ the service since they hadn't been
trained in the church but were members of the royalty for that area."
Again a reference for this.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 13th 21, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 06:11:10 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Do you wear Payot
(possible spelling error here)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payot
Nope.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/jeffl/

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old January 13th 21, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

John, you continue not only to prove you aren't a Catholic,
but have no religion at all. The Catholic church mass printed
bibles in Latin for every diocese and most priests had to
READ the service since they hadn't been trained in the church
but were members of the royalty for that area. Are you suggesting
the literally hundreds of thousands of Bibles were copied by hand?
Take your "show me proof" and shove it up your ignorant ass.

Perhaps these will help:

"How was the Bible distributed before the printing press was invented
in 1455?"
https://www.biblica.com/resources/bible-faqs/how-was-the-bible-distributed-before-the-printing-press-was-invented-in-1455/
The work of copying the Scriptures was undertaken in
earnest in the monasteries in the Middle Ages. Several
thousand monasteries were established across Europe,
and for many of the monks making copies of the Scriptures
was their chief task. They became the true guardians of
the text and produced literally thousands of magnificent
Bibles.

The artwork in the early bibles was amazing:
"Vienna Moralized Bible (circa 1220 to 1480) made specifically for the
French royal house."
https://www.google.com/search?q=Vienna+Moralized+Bible&tbm=isch
http://www.caareviews.org/reviews/82#.X_5qCRaIa70
One of the most striking of Lowden’s codicological findings
is that identical underdrawings in both Bibles were
pressure traced with a stylus and then independently
worked up and provided with accompanying texts.

However, the various Bibles Moralisee were not identical:
...Lowden persuasively asserts that the Bibles Moralisées
were not produced by a process of transmission that
presupposes a single authoritative original and involves
subsequent attempts to reproduce the model without error.
Instead, each version set out to be unlike the others,
in some way intended to surpass its predecessors.

So it is written, so it must be.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old January 13th 21, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 08:31:55 +0700, John B. scribed:

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a juxtaposition of several common 'factoids' about feudal
life. Of course, like in the past you will not get an answer.

Old January 13th 21, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

Do you wear Payot
(possible spelling error here)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payot
Nope.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/jeffl/

In a couple of pictures you look like a Sheitel might improve things
though :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 13th 21, 05:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Well, certainly there are various "versions" of the Bible and some of
the instructions are a bit different. "Thou shall not kill" in some
versions and "Thou shall not commit murder" in others for instance
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 13th 21, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 15:57:35 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 11:49:49 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 09:26:39 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 11:28:22 PM UTC-8, wrote:

The smaller Swiss Army knives lack a blade suitable for opening
cardboard boxes, cutting thick cordage, stripping wire, and opening
theft proof packaging. So, I gave up on multiplex knives and switched
to something more practical:
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Hand-Tools/Cutting/48-22-1530

Quite so, so telephone installation people used special hardened
and sharpened scissors for cutting phone wire and on the back edge
it has a slot for stripping the wire.

Sigh. Telco "scissors" are called "snips". There's no "special
hardening". Snips can be a little dull so that they don't cut through
the wire insulation when scoring the outer jacket. Hardened cutting
edges also have a habit of chipping. What you want is hardened and
then tempered. Note that this model has a serrated edge allegedly to
grip the wire when cutting:
http://www.southwiretools.com/tools/tools/ESP-1

This video does a rather nice job of explaining the difference between
snips and scissors, as well as demonstrating how the tool is used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMpS2Ctfmg8

https://www.amazon.com/Electrician-Scissors-Theater-Klein-Tools/dp/B000VL03NC/

Klein tools are very good.

This style (as shown in the video) is allegedly better. However, the
only thing the oversize handle does is give you a better grip when
stripping wires:
https://www.amazon.com/Electrician-S...dp/B0015SBIL6/

https://www.amazon.com/Internets-Best-Premium-Utility-Retractable/dp/B01M27QHE2/

Not good. That will nick the insulation when cutting through the
jacket. If there's any braid, it will also damage the braid. It also
takes quite a bit of skill and practice to partially cut through the
jacket using a knife. I can do it because I've had a lifetime of
practice, but I wouldn't recommend using a knife if you have better
tools available. For example, I sometimes use these for stripping
CAT5, coax cables, and some electrical wires:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cat5+stripper&tbm=isch
They work well, but require a different die for each size of cable and
become dull if you allow the blade to touch the copper wire.
For cutting carboard boxed
and their wrapping the only tool to use was a razor knife.

Methinks the official name is a "box knife":
https://www.google.com/search?q=box+knife&tbm=isch
The trick for me is one handed deployment, operation, and retraction.
However, razor blade knives do not have a serrated blade edge, which
is useful for sawing open fiberglass reinforced packing tape, cutting
boxing rope, and dealing with multiple cardboard layers in one pass.
That's why I prefer the Milwaukee knife.

Tell me Jeff, when did you work for the Telephone Company?

1966 or 67. I went through the training for GTE in Santa Monica CA
while attending Santa Monica City College. However, I had to quit
before I was done because the draft board wanted me. So, I went full
time at SMCC in order to get a 2-S deferment. In 1967, I worked for
about 2 months for Pacific Bell in a CO battery room. However, that
didn't involve terminating signal wires and should not be considered
relevent wiring experience.

Since I was partner in a telephone installation firm putting phones
into San Francisco skyscapers for several years what leads you to
believe that you can tell me what tools I used?

You didn't mention which tools you used. I also wasn't aware that I
need your permission to suggest that you might consider using my
favorite tools. Your failure to use the common name of "snips" and
your mistaken impression that razor knives are suitable for
terminating wires, failed to provide me with any suggestion that you
had training or experience. It's really amazing how much one can
deduce from only 3 lines of text.

Why you're so amazing
you can tell the actually contradict the people who actually make
them.

Thank you. However, please note that I did not "contradict" anything
you said. Were you really recommending that one should use a razor or
utility knife for preparing network or station wire for termination?

Over the last 10 years I've bought and assembled probably 100
bikes of all sorts from FS29ers, to every steel bike imaginable
to cyclocross bikes, touring bikes, and aluminum and carbon fiber
road framesets. They ALL came in heavy cardboard boxes and using
a razor knife not only did I unpack them without a problem but I
cut every one of the boxes up into small pieces that would fit
into my recyclable trash can. I have replaced ONE razor and the
knife came loaded with several replacements. So precisely WHY
would I need a knife that has a saw edge on it and a cutting
edge that wouldn't even slice the boxes open let alone cut them
into small pieces.

If you are sufficiently skilled to cut through heavy cardboard without
hitting whatever was packed inside, then by all means, continue using
your 10 year old razor knife blade. Heavy cardboard might make it
easier as it's likely that the bicycle manufacturer also put some
protective distance between the bicycle parts and the box. If you
were opening smaller and thinner cardboard boxes, such as USPS
priority mail boxes, you would probably need to be more careful.

Oddly, I've never had the experience of cutting up cardboard boxes so
that they fit in the tiny residential recycling bins. My office
building had a shared dumpster for recycled cardboard. I would cut
through the tape, fold the box flat, sometimes cut the flat box in
half, and drop it in the dumpster. At home, I recycle all my
cardboard at the nearby transfer station, which also has a dumpster.

The serrated edge on my knife is most used for rope, cordage, and
webbing used to secure some larger boxes. I don't use it often, but
things that need to sawed, a serrated edge makes cutting easier.

Incidentally, I try to save as many cardboard boxes as possible. That
became important when I closed my formerly palatial office and moved
everything to my house. I eventually had to recycle most of the
salvaged boxes, but kept enough to help (slowly) re-organize the mess:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/cardboard-boxes.jpg
There's another pile of about equal size in the shop. Also, for odd
size boxes, I use a Uline H-101 carton resizer:
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-101/Carton-Tool/Carton-Sizer

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old January 13th 21, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

Do you wear Payot
(possible spelling error here)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payot
Nope.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/jeffl/

In a couple of pictures you look like a Sheitel might improve things
though :-)

I had to look that one up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheitel
That's for orthodox married women, not men.

I'm beginning to look too much like my father, who lost most of his
hair when he was about 50. I'm doing a little better, but not much.
One of the benefits of being almost bald is that I can easily give
myself and haircut and not have to pay and tip the barber. A laptop
and a USB camera are useful hair cutting aids.

Incidentally, here's the real me:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/jeffl/jeffl-wolf.gif
Give it time to load.

--