Does Slow Johnny still pull the wings off flies

Old January 15th 21, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Does Slow Johnny still pull the wings off flies

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 15:20:42 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
I was surprised by the number of times the Bible uses "****eth against a
wall."
https://www.biblegateway.com/quickse...ainst+the+wall

Your final link doesn't seem to mention it. I guess everyone knows what
it means.

I didn't know, so I had to look it up.

WHY DOES THE KING JAMES BIBLE SAY, "****ETH AGAINST THE WALL?"
https://forwhatsaiththescriptures.org/2017/08/17/****eth-against-the-wall/
The original Hebrew phrase did not mean any and
every male, but rather indicative of male children.
It singles out little boys, signifying that they
will die before reaching adulthood. The King James
Bible text is specific - boys rather than adult men.
This narrowing-down allows us to see that these
individuals will not even be allowed to reproduce.
Their dying as (childless) juveniles is much more
devastating to a family than dying adults who have
already reproduced. The youngest generations are
vital to the perpetuation of the family.

I suspect that the next translation of the bible will be into text
message abbreviations and acronyms, which is the common language of
todays youth:
https://www.webopedia.com/reference/text-message-abbreviations/

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old January 15th 21, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 15:24:25 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/14/2021 1:15 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I don't believe that a new universal simulation is possible. We're
more likely to continue the present simulation forever by repeating
the same lessons and mistakes an infinite number of times.

That does happen on rec.bicycles.tech ...

Far too often. I'm a member of 2 local amateur radio clubs. As the
old regime became older and faded into the background, the new and
younger regime has taken over. However, rather than ask the old
regime for advice or the reasons why some things were done, they
prefer to blunder forward without the benefit of past experience. Of
course, the older regime is expected to do damage control when
something fails miserably, as it did in the past. History really does
repeat itself.

But is it real?

It doesn't matter. If you can't tell the difference between arguing
with a computer AI and arguing with a real person, it's about as real
as things can get. Where the fun starts is in the surreal, where
things are stranger than in reality. See the current situation in
Washington DC and ask "are they for real"?

Old January 15th 21, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 14:15:19 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

https://images.wsj.net/im-282485?width=1260&size=1

The middle ground between dismal failure and perfection is called
mediocrity. Perfection sells better than mediocrity.

Old January 15th 21, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 10:54:00 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 08:47:14 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 8:50:35 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 15:57:35 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 11:49:49 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 09:26:39 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 11:28:22 PM UTC-8, wrote:

The smaller Swiss Army knives lack a blade suitable for opening
cardboard boxes, cutting thick cordage, stripping wire, and opening
theft proof packaging. So, I gave up on multiplex knives and switched
to something more practical:
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Hand-Tools/Cutting/48-22-1530

Quite so, so telephone installation people used special hardened
and sharpened scissors for cutting phone wire and on the back edge
it has a slot for stripping the wire.

Sigh. Telco "scissors" are called "snips". There's no "special
hardening". Snips can be a little dull so that they don't cut through
the wire insulation when scoring the outer jacket. Hardened cutting
edges also have a habit of chipping. What you want is hardened and
then tempered. Note that this model has a serrated edge allegedly to
grip the wire when cutting:
http://www.southwiretools.com/tools/tools/ESP-1

This video does a rather nice job of explaining the difference between
snips and scissors, as well as demonstrating how the tool is used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMpS2Ctfmg8

https://www.amazon.com/Electrician-Scissors-Theater-Klein-Tools/dp/B000VL03NC/
Klein tools are very good.

This style (as shown in the video) is allegedly better. However, the
only thing the oversize handle does is give you a better grip when
stripping wires:
https://www.amazon.com/Electrician-S...dp/B0015SBIL6/

https://www.amazon.com/Internets-Best-Premium-Utility-Retractable/dp/B01M27QHE2/
Not good. That will nick the insulation when cutting through the
jacket. If there's any braid, it will also damage the braid. It also
takes quite a bit of skill and practice to partially cut through the
jacket using a knife. I can do it because I've had a lifetime of
practice, but I wouldn't recommend using a knife if you have better
tools available. For example, I sometimes use these for stripping
CAT5, coax cables, and some electrical wires:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cat5+stripper&tbm=isch
They work well, but require a different die for each size of cable and
become dull if you allow the blade to touch the copper wire.
For cutting carboard boxed
and their wrapping the only tool to use was a razor knife.
Methinks the official name is a "box knife":
https://www.google.com/search?q=box+knife&tbm=isch
The trick for me is one handed deployment, operation, and retraction.
However, razor blade knives do not have a serrated blade edge, which
is useful for sawing open fiberglass reinforced packing tape, cutting
boxing rope, and dealing with multiple cardboard layers in one pass..
That's why I prefer the Milwaukee knife.

Tell me Jeff, when did you work for the Telephone Company?
1966 or 67. I went through the training for GTE in Santa Monica CA
while attending Santa Monica City College. However, I had to quit
before I was done because the draft board wanted me. So, I went full
time at SMCC in order to get a 2-S deferment. In 1967, I worked for
about 2 months for Pacific Bell in a CO battery room. However, that
didn't involve terminating signal wires and should not be considered
relevent wiring experience.
Since I was partner in a telephone installation firm putting phones
into San Francisco skyscapers for several years what leads you to
believe that you can tell me what tools I used?
You didn't mention which tools you used. I also wasn't aware that I
need your permission to suggest that you might consider using my
favorite tools. Your failure to use the common name of "snips" and
your mistaken impression that razor knives are suitable for
terminating wires, failed to provide me with any suggestion that you
had training or experience. It's really amazing how much one can
deduce from only 3 lines of text.
Why you're so amazing
you can tell the actually contradict the people who actually make
them.
Thank you. However, please note that I did not "contradict" anything
you said. Were you really recommending that one should use a razor or
utility knife for preparing network or station wire for termination?
Over the last 10 years I've bought and assembled probably 100
bikes of all sorts from FS29ers, to every steel bike imaginable
to cyclocross bikes, touring bikes, and aluminum and carbon fiber
road framesets. They ALL came in heavy cardboard boxes and using
a razor knife not only did I unpack them without a problem but I
cut every one of the boxes up into small pieces that would fit
into my recyclable trash can. I have replaced ONE razor and the
knife came loaded with several replacements. So precisely WHY
would I need a knife that has a saw edge on it and a cutting
edge that wouldn't even slice the boxes open let alone cut them
into small pieces.
If you are sufficiently skilled to cut through heavy cardboard without
hitting whatever was packed inside, then by all means, continue using
your 10 year old razor knife blade. Heavy cardboard might make it
easier as it's likely that the bicycle manufacturer also put some
protective distance between the bicycle parts and the box. If you
were opening smaller and thinner cardboard boxes, such as USPS
priority mail boxes, you would probably need to be more careful.

Oddly, I've never had the experience of cutting up cardboard boxes so
that they fit in the tiny residential recycling bins. My office
building had a shared dumpster for recycled cardboard. I would cut
through the tape, fold the box flat, sometimes cut the flat box in
half, and drop it in the dumpster. At home, I recycle all my
cardboard at the nearby transfer station, which also has a dumpster.

The serrated edge on my knife is most used for rope, cordage, and
webbing used to secure some larger boxes. I don't use it often, but
things that need to sawed, a serrated edge makes cutting easier.

Incidentally, I try to save as many cardboard boxes as possible. That
became important when I closed my formerly palatial office and moved
everything to my house. I eventually had to recycle most of the
salvaged boxes, but kept enough to help (slowly) re-organize the mess:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/cardboard-boxes.jpg
There's another pile of about equal size in the shop. Also, for odd
size boxes, I use a Uline H-101 carton resizer:
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-101/Carton-Tool/Carton-Sizer

Jess, I would like to ask you when and where I EVER questioned you
on your expertise in your job.

You haven't asked me because I don't have a job. I work for myself.
All I have asked from you is the same respect.

I see. You want me to ignore the all insults you've prepended and
appended to your postings. You want me to ignore your mistakes and
bad information when I offer corrections. You want me to ignore your
lack of substantiation and proof of your erroneous claims. In
exchange for not questioning your claims and misinformation, you want
me to provide you some measure of respect which I interpret to mean
accepting all this without question or comment. I don't think so. If
you want respect, you have to earn it. You gain respect for doing
something that your audience considers exceptional. You gain respect
by being correct and accurate. You gain respect by acting in a
professional manner and calling people childish names. You gain
respect by actually writing something that is worth reading. You gain
respect by proving your contentions in a believable manner. You gain
some respect by winning awards, prizes, diplomas, certificates and
endorsements.

The search for respect is a sure sign of its absence. I judge people
by their willingness and ability to learn new things. Have you ever
thanked someone for explaing something that you misunderstood or
didn't know? Have you ever taken the time to work through a problem
and post the calculations? Have you ever attempted to do some reading
and then comment on something you admittedly didn't know much about?
Have you ever gracefully accepted suggestions? Methinks not. If you
don't understand these questions, think about what it takes for the
people you consider to be authoritative, to have achieved that level
of respect.
You said that they were not called snips rather than scissors even
after I supplied a picture of the tool.

Where did I say that? My comments, which are still attached to this
message, do not show that.

Incidentally, scissors are generally used for cutting thin material.
Snips (and shears) are generally used for cutting thicker material,
such as cable jackets.
On a better note. I have received a call from a man I used to work
with and he needs someone that knows mainframe database programming.
This isn't something I do so if you know anything that meets these
qualifications please have him contact me and I will direct him to
Colin.

It would be helpful to know which database. SQL, DB2, IMS, etc?
Sorry, but I don't know anyone in the mainframe database programming
business. I do PC's and hardware. I tend to avoid the programming
aspects of the business mostly because I'm a terrible programmer.

Jeff, please don't complain about me insulting you when you either started it or attempted tp take the side of people that were doing so. You should be able to recognize when you accuse me of lying about minor details of my resume saying I have no proof of them that I am not going to take such things lightly. Someone your age should know that direct verification is difficult to get when so many managers have died over the years.
Old January 15th 21, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

By the way, did you miss the part and I quote, "Sigh. Telco "scissors" are called "snips". There's no "special hardening".

I hope that you're aware that tempering IS special hardening and the scissors I have are the same one's I bought way back in the 1990's. I've also used these scissors to electrical wires for outlets and doorbell wire and these are still as sharp as when I bought them. Sigh about that.
Old January 15th 21, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/14/2021 6:04 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I suspect that the next translation of the bible will be into text
message abbreviations and acronyms, which is the common language of
todays youth:
https://www.webopedia.com/reference/text-message-abbreviations/

Long ago I read a science fiction novel (probably by Heinlein) that
featured some sort of secret society. As I recall, to be inducted one
needed a high degree of intelligence; but once inducted, trainees
learned a new language, one that was heavily abbreviated. The claim was
that we think by internal use of language, so learning a language whose
information was very dense (in terms of ideas per syllable) allowed much
faster processing of data - i.e. faster and more efficient thinking.

So maybe these "kids these days" will carry us forward into a brave new
world where all our problems will be quickly solved! (LOL!)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 15th 21, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 3:58:27 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

When young I admired Heinlein's books but over time imagination was pretty much all they have turned out to be. Making a language expressed in much larger and more complex manner doesn't seem to have slowed the Japanese or Chinese in the least. Though they have to use many forms of trying to supplant what we do without thought in English with "inflection" such as read and read. (past tense.)
Old January 15th 21, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 10:01:56 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 11:49:04 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Well, certainly there are various "versions" of the Bible and some of
the instructions are a bit different. "Thou shall not kill" in some
versions and "Thou shall not commit murder" in others for instance

New versions appear constantly. The latest is the MEV (Modern English
Version) which takes the KJV bible and translates the 17th century
idioms and terminology, into modern English. It was finished in 2013.
https://modernenglishversion.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_English_Version

It's the idioms that drive readers nuts. One famous example is from
WWII, when a misunderstanding of the phrase "table the motion" brought
an important military meeting to a grinding halt:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_(parliamentary_procedure)
That's just one example, and the bible is crammed full of idioms.

"Thou shalt no kill" is not sufficient in a court of law. Question
arise as to exceptions and killing what? Is it acceptable to
slaughter animals for food? Some attempts have been made to clarify
such details, usually resulting in a bible that reads like a legal
document or history book:
https://gnt.bible
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_News_Bible

Incidentally, here's a vocabulary list extracted from the KJV bible:
https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.tbsbibles.org/resource/collection/D1B0BDBE-CD9E-4D12-BBDD-138677F98835/Bible-Word-List-and-Reading-Plan.pdf
Most of the words and phrases on the list are in dire need of
translation to modern terms.

Another thing, regarding the Bible is that of translation. As I have
lived in a number of non-English speaking countries I have been made
aware that literal translations are frequently meaningless, if even
possible, and even worse people often use nicknames and phrases that
when literally translated are far different in meaning then what is
meant by those using them. For example, it is very common,
particularly in Bangkok, to hear a man reference "fan phom" which
literally translated is "friend me" but actually means "my wife", a
somewhat different meaning than the translation.

Given that the Jewish holy books weren't originally written in
English, or Latin, but were likely translated first into Greek, and
then into Latin and then into English the chances of misinterpreting a
word or phrase, or even a loyal advocate of one group or another
simply inserting a totally new word into his copy seems more than
likely.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 15th 21, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 10:15:55 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 11:08:36 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/12/2021 11:50 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Incidentally, I try to save as many cardboard boxes as possible. That
became important when I closed my formerly palatial office and moved
everything to my house. I eventually had to recycle most of the
salvaged boxes, but kept enough to help (slowly) re-organize the mess:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/cardboard-boxes.jpg

I'm impressed by the thorough photographic documentation of your life.

Thanks. I find that it's easier to describe things with photos than
with voluminous text.

Is this to allow reconstruction when this universal simulation ends and
another begins?

Yes. Fairly soon, we'll all be replaced by avatars mimicking our
personal believes, prejudices, biases, and mannerisms using an AI
(artificial intelligence) driven simulation. You probably won't be
able to tell if you're discussing bicycles with a human or an AI. The
photos are a guide for anyone wanted to reconstruct me after my
inevitable and well deserved demise.

But isn't that the so called Turing test. If a machine is
intelligent, if it can fool people into thinking it is human.

Old January 15th 21, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Come now Professor

"****eth - Archaic third-person singular simple present indicative