Reading/posting on usenet rbm and rbt

Old March 21st 05, 02:08 AM
Joshua Lee

Default Reading/posting on usenet rbm and rbt

Hi folks,

Anyone understand well how the usenet works? I look at it in three ways
and can't figure out how the lag time works between when a new subject
has been posted and when it appears in different forums. More
specifically, I use outlook express with a news server, cyclingforums
and google. When I post using Outlook Express, I can't see it for
hours, if not a whole day, on the other two forums. I also know google
has a delay of minutes or sometimes hours compared to cyclingforums.
Can anyone shed some light on this? While you're at it, where is all
the info posted stored? Some University server?

Joshua

Old March 21st 05, 03:12 AM
Pete Biggs

Joshua Lee wrote:
Hi folks,

Anyone understand well how the usenet works? I look at it in three
ways and can't figure out how the lag time works between when a new
subject has been posted and when it appears in different forums. More
specifically, I use outlook express with a news server, cyclingforums
and google. When I post using Outlook Express, I can't see it for
hours, if not a whole day, on the other two forums. I also know google
has a delay of minutes or sometimes hours compared to cyclingforums.
Can anyone shed some light on this? While you're at it, where is all
the info posted stored? Some University server?

I can't answer all your questions, but the time it takes for a message to
appear after posting from Outlook Express depends on which news server you
use. (You don't have to use your ISP's). I'll post this and see how long
it takes with mine..... Back in a tick.

~PB

Old March 21st 05, 03:12 AM
Pete Biggs

.....Hello again, how's that? That was just a few seconds.

See http://news.individual.net

~PB

Old March 21st 05, 03:22 AM
Kenny

Go to:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...p=rec.bicycles
and use Google for all your posts and replies. I quit using my ISP's
news server because it would get too delete happy. There is almost time
delay.

Old March 21st 05, 03:25 AM
Kenny

"There is almost no tiime delay."

Old March 21st 05, 06:05 AM
Tim Lines

Joshua Lee wrote:
Hi folks,

Anyone understand well how the usenet works? I look at it in three ways
and can't figure out how the lag time works between when a new subject
has been posted and when it appears in different forums. More
specifically, I use outlook express with a news server, cyclingforums
and google. When I post using Outlook Express, I can't see it for
hours, if not a whole day, on the other two forums. I also know google
has a delay of minutes or sometimes hours compared to cyclingforums.
Can anyone shed some light on this? While you're at it, where is all
the info posted stored? Some University server?

Joshua

Read here first:
http://www.adelphiapowerpage.com/syn...oup_Faqs.cfm#4

Cyclingforums and google are not straight usenet. They are web based
representations of Usenet. That means they have to recieve all the
messages everyone else does and then process them to put them in a web
displayable format. So they're slower. But if their server gets the
message before your server, they could concievably still be faster.

I doubt if that clarifies much.

Old March 21st 05, 02:22 PM
Mark E

Tim Lines wrote:
Joshua Lee wrote:

I believe it works something like this...
your internet service provider has a server that subscribes to certain
NG's and then posts/retrieves the news postings when you request (if you
have had a variety of internet servers over the years, you may note that
some NG's are NOT available while others are... that is because that ISP
does not subscribe or host that NG; usually if this is the case, you can
send a request to the ISP and they will oblige... but I digress)

Some ISP's will open their gateway to post the news postings IMMEDIATELY
(or have dedicated connections ... e.g. if I post a posting and refresh
my list, I see it right away). But time is money, and certain ISPa *may*
only periodically open their gateway and post your news messages a few
times a day. In the old days, AOL would not send their e-mail messages
out immediately. Often, a day might go by before I'd get mail from my
AOL friends... ISPs may be paying for access from another larger ISP...
if they only connect every 2-3 hours, they may be able to SAVE $$

in general, News Groups are not a money maker for ISP's; hosting the
messages on a server takes up a lot of room and bandwitdth, and with the
# of NG's going up every day (there must be 40-50 thousand groups), it
is not hugely profitable. There is a dedicated core of NG users, but it
likely represents just a small % of total subscribers to the service.

*plink plink*

Old March 21st 05, 06:51 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Joshua Lee wrote:

Hi folks,

Anyone understand well how the usenet works? I look at it in three ways
and can't figure out how the lag time works between when a new subject
has been posted and when it appears in different forums. More
specifically, I use outlook express with a news server, cyclingforums
and google. When I post using Outlook Express, I can't see it for
hours, if not a whole day, on the other two forums. I also know google
has a delay of minutes or sometimes hours compared to cyclingforums.
Can anyone shed some light on this? While you're at it, where is all
the info posted stored? Some University server?

NNTP (network news transfer protocol) is a distributed service, so
basically you have to wait for the messages to find their way to your
own ISP's news server. They get copied around in an arcane order
depending on where they were first posted. They'll stay on the local
server until they're deleted according to the ISP's archive policy.
Google News, which does keep postings indefinitely, is often a couple of
hours behind - I don't know about cyclingforums, except that some of the
forums are an attempt to cash in on the free (as in beer and speech)
Usenet by making you look at adverts.