Repair stand

Old March 19th 07, 10:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Campag_nut

Default Repair stand

Hi,

Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what to look for in an OK repair
stand - mobility is not really an issue at this point, but if anyone has
pointers on any bad experiences I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
CN

Old March 19th 07, 01:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Mar 19, 9:51 pm, "Campag_nut" wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what to look for in an OK repair
stand - mobility is not really an issue at this point, but if anyone has
pointers on any bad experiences I would greatly appreciate it.

I have the cheapy Minoura stand, it's ok, but doesn't support bikes
all that well, it's a cradle, and works ok unless you have a close
clearance between seat tube and rear tyre. My housemate has the
cheapy stand from torpedo-7, which seems pretty good, it's a clamp
rather than a cradle, so you have to be more careful with it and it's
a bit clunky with the clamp mechanism (it's a hub QR skewer that holds
the clamp shut) but seems to work ok. It would suck with a heavy bike
and doesn't let you pick angles to hold the bike at, but on a roady it
seems quite usable for basic stuff.

Old March 19th 07, 08:14 PM posted to aus.bicycle
MikeyOz[_4_]

I have the crappy Minoura cradle stand as well, sucks the big one.

I recently bought the one from Torpedo-7 that was on a massive sale, I
can see why, but it is a clamp stand and works great on my Road bike
and Mountain bike. For what I paid I think it was 30 or 40 bucks on
their sale, it is awesome.

--
MikeyOz

Old March 19th 07, 11:01 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Duracell Bunny[_13_]

Campag_nut Wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what to look for in an OK
repair
stand - mobility is not really an issue at this point, but if anyone
has
pointers on any bad experiences I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
CN

I got a second hand Park Tools Professional repair stand - the yoke at
the bottom of the upright proved not strong enough for serious use,
it's broken a couple of times in the last few months. The bike clamp &
rotation device on it is superb, though.

The Park unit is probably strong enough for a road bike but not strong
enough for an MTB.

For the MTB I had to get a stronger one, an Ultimate. Stronger, more
stable, but the clamping is nowhere near as good, and rotation is poor
(takes a lot of effort to tighten up after rotation)

--
Duracell Bunny

Old March 19th 07, 11:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle
jh

On Mar 19, 8:51 pm, "Campag_nut" wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what to look for in an OK repair
stand - mobility is not really an issue at this point, but if anyone has
pointers on any bad experiences I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
CN

I have a Minoura RS-X that I got from Dean Woods Direct for $175 it is
pretty stable and the bike does not move around when cranking by hand
as the forks are locked in. I would suspect the cradle type stands
that allow you to keep the front wheel on would be not very stable.

This is the model I have but a bit dearer than what I paid:
http://www.bikesportz.com.au/product...epair/rsx.html

Not on the Dean Woods website, maybe they are out of stock.

jh

Old March 19th 07, 11:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:14:37 +1100
MikeyOz wrote:

I have the crappy Minoura cradle stand as well, sucks the big one.

I recently bought the one from Torpedo-7 that was on a massive sale, I
can see why, but it is a clamp stand and works great on my Road bike
and Mountain bike. For what I paid I think it was 30 or 40 bucks on
their sale, it is awesome.

How big is the clamp? How big a tube can it take?

And could it be bodged to take a bigger one by someone with a drill
and no shame?

Zebee

Old March 20th 07, 12:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

MikeyOz wrote:

I have the crappy Minoura cradle stand as well, sucks the big one.

I recently bought the one from Torpedo-7 that was on a massive sale, I
can see why, but it is a clamp stand and works great on my Road bike
and Mountain bike. For what I paid I think it was 30 or 40 bucks on
their sale, it is awesome.

How big is the clamp? How big a tube can it take?

And could it be bodged to take a bigger one by someone with a drill
and no shame?

It won't work for a 'bent.