Great Steel Ride Across the Golden Gate Today

Old March 8th 09, 06:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Great Steel Ride Across the Golden Gate Today

Rode my steel Montague Urban folding bicycle across the steel, 73 year
old, Golden Gate Bridge today. My son was on a steel Jamis, but my
daughter was on an aluminum Specialized, and my wife was on an aluminum
K2. I brought our bikes up from Silicon Valley in my steel chassis,
steel bodied vehicle equipped with a steel hitch rack.

Beautiful day. Saw a lot of steel bicycles on the bridge and down in
Sausalito and Larkspur, as well as on the Embarcadero. There's just
something about steel that makes a nice day even nicer. It's just so _real_.

Peeked into the repair area of Mike's Bikes on Bridgeway and saw a
beautiful steel roadster on the floor, of some unknown Chinese brand
(not Flying Pigeon or Feng Huang).

Did I mention that I prefer steel frames?
Old March 8th 09, 07:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sergio

On 8 Mar, 07:42, SMS wrote:
Did I mention that I prefer steel frames?

Lucky you!
What should we ride over bridges we still have, that the Romans built
with stone?

Sergio
Pisa
Old March 8th 09, 07:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"SMS" wrote:Rode my steel Montague Urban folding bicycle across the steel,
73 year
old, Golden Gate Bridge today. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This should have been posted to rec.crafts.metalworking.

Old March 8th 09, 09:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Sergio wrote:

SMS wrote:

Did I mention that I prefer steel frames?

Lucky you!
What should we ride over bridges we still have, that the Romans built
with stone?

I reckon you should stick with tradition and ride a mule. Mule is
real. Wait, that doesn't rhyme. Mule is kewl. Yeah, that's the
ticket.

Chalo

Old March 8th 09, 09:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
Chalo wrote:

Sergio wrote:

SMS wrote:

Did I mention that I prefer steel frames?

Lucky you!
What should we ride over bridges we still have, that the Romans built
with stone?

I reckon you should stick with tradition and ride a mule. Mule is
real. Wait, that doesn't rhyme. Mule is kewl. Yeah, that's the
ticket.

Chalo

Oh, if only you were joking...on the Greek island my father-in-law came
from, the older residential areas are built on a hill and with "streets"
so narrow that they are impassable to motorized vehicles*. To this day,
stuff like construction materials and other heavy loads are transported
for the last few hundred metres by donkey.

*I rode them on my bicycle once. This made me a lunatic, a terror to the
foot traffic, and I still had to CX-dismount a few times to cope with
stairs.

Old March 8th 09, 12:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Mar 8, 7:29*am, Sergio wrote:
On 8 Mar, 07:42, SMS wrote:

Did I mention that I prefer steel frames?

Lucky you!
What should we ride over bridges we still have, that the Romans built
with stone?

I have just the bicycle for you Sergio! Made in the second year of the
reign of the God Augustus, well cared for, the square stone wheels
almost chipped round by now, so, as you can see, nearly run in. 90
sisterces or nearest offer, or your sister in exchange.

Andronicus of Flintstone Cycles, Via Capistrano
Old March 8th 09, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Mar 8, 9:38*am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article
,

*Chalo wrote:
Sergio wrote:

SMS wrote:

[...]

What's "CX-dismount"? Is that what us common people call "leg-over"?

Andre "The Prolerarian" Jute
Old March 8th 09, 12:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Mar 8, 7:31*am, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:

This should have been posted to rec.crafts.metalworking.

Hmm. The two most pleasing bicycle frames I've had since I took up
cycling seriously have been steel, and both notable for their
craftsmanship, the Peugeot for its superior fillet brazing on an
otherwise standard design, the Utopia for a design only possible in
steel, for the delicacy of its proportions, for the lugs, for the
quality of the craftsmanship in the manufacture. Steel bikes offer a
great many aesthetic and practical satisfactions.

You're not one of these materials fascists, are you, Leo?

Andre Jute
Let a thousand materials and technologies bloom in bicycles
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html

Old March 8th 09, 12:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Mar 8, 9:05*am, Chalo wrote:
Sergio wrote:

SMS wrote:

Did I mention that I prefer steel frames?

Lucky you!
What should we ride over bridges we still have, that the Romans built
with stone?

I reckon you should stick with tradition and ride a mule. *Mule is
real. *Wait, that doesn't rhyme. *Mule is kewl. *Yeah, that's the
ticket.

Chalo

There are certain similarities in obstinacy between a mule and a
multi-speed derailleur/multi-cluster setup...

H G B Jute
Habit is the nursery of errors. -- Victor Hugo

Old March 8th 09, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Chalo wrote:
Sergio wrote:
SMS wrote:

Did I mention that I prefer steel frames?

Lucky you!
What should we ride over bridges we still have, that the Romans built
with stone?

I reckon you should stick with tradition and ride a mule. Mule is
real. Wait, that doesn't rhyme. Mule is kewl. Yeah, that's the
ticket.

They don't allow horses or mules on the Golden Gate Bridge.