Rules of Thumb

Old June 3rd 16, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Rules of Thumb: Another squashed Portland cyclist

On 6/3/2016 8:04 AM, AMuzi wrote:

People have various opinions. At least Frank is civil about it.

In some benighted societies, you will either accept Jesus Christ as you
savior or by order of Their Catholic Majesties you shall be tortured and
or executed:

And similarly, these days people who DO accept Jesus Christ are getting
tortured, executed, shamed, evicted etc. :-/

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 3rd 16, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

Default Rules of Thumb

On 03/06/2016 9:58 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 9:10:30 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 02/06/16 14:54, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I've seen other riders do what Sir did. I've seen even more riders skim
within inches of disaster to their right, riding the last couple of
inches of passable pavement so they would never obstruct a motor
vehicle. I think those people put themselves at _more_ risk. In fact,
I think the latter are the majority of "hit from behind" cases.

It would be nice if cyclists didn't need to learn special lane position
skills to affect the psychology of motorists approaching from behind
such that they do not become a trauma statistic.

I get the impression that in countries where it is extremely safe for
young and old to ride a bicycle, the transport engineers have found ways
to make it virtually unnecessary to learn special mind reading skills,
or be able to project thoughts into the heads of motorists to stay alive.

In US cities as they currently exist, one does need some minor mind-reading or mind-control skills to ride safely. Unless we elect Harry Potter as president, not much is going to change infrastructure-wise in the near future.

Out in the country, I've been told that the cobbled goat roads in Europe are safer because the locals have a more relaxed attitude towards cyclists. I have no idea how traffic engineers can make that happen in the countryside around here -- not unless they put Xanax in the water.

It's hard to say. The rural areas just outside of Montreal can be
pretty bad in that respect. I guess it's because they get a LOT of
cyclists in their area using their small rural roads. Further from the
city it's not bad at all.

But we often ride in upstate New York or Vermont because of the better
roads and the attitude is usually pretty good toward us and there are a
lot of cyclists there as well.

Maybe it's the proximity to the big city somehow?

Old June 4th 16, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

AMuzi writes:

On 6/3/2016 2:28 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 12:35:33 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/1/2016 10:36 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 3:18:15 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/1/2016 10:48 AM, AMuzi wrote:

of special note to the geriatric crowd:

http://www.mybikeadvocate.com/2011/0...killed-by.html

Yet again: Bike lane plus helmet. What could go wrong?

--
- Frank Krygowski

A driver not paying attention or intoxicated leaves their lane and hits the bicyclist!

And yet, Sir, you very recently said "Frank doesn't seem to want to
admit that there are cases where bicyclists in the center of the lane
were struck from behind by a motor vehicle and the bicyclists died."

Obviously, there are cases where bicyclists in a nice safe bike path AND
wearing the magic helmet were struck behind by a motor vehicle and died.

Again, we've traded anecdotes.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Ah hell Frank we're talking about taking the lane on the approach to a very narrow bridge with no where for a bicyclist to bail once on that bridge and that there were three 18-wheelers gaining on the bicyclist just before the bicylist got onto the bridge. Ergo, e driver of the 1st truck either didn't see the bicyclist or simply didn't care. the bicyclist WAS RIDING LANE CENTER and decide to bail onto the shoulder and did so with the trucks whizzing by mere seconds later.

You Frank have a take the lane anyway agenda and you always tell people they should have stayed in the lane and the overtaking vehicle would have slowed down for them. That's patently untrue as there are instances of bicyclsits in the center of the lane being struck by moroe vehicles. There are also many cases where a motor vehicle in the center of a land was struck from behind.

You have more strawamn arguments than Carter has little liver pillsd.

Many here find your constant harping on their riding choices based on rtheir perceptions at the time to be the harping one extremely egotistical aggravating and even stupid twit. What's worse is that a lot of your bad advice could get someone killed if they followed it. they'd be right perhaps but they'd be dead right. Just like i'd have been dead right had I not bailed at that bridge.

Cheers

People have various opinions. At least Frank is civil about it.

In some benighted societies, you will either accept Jesus Christ as
you savior or by order of Their Catholic Majesties you shall be
tortured and or executed:

http://cnsnews.com/commentary/hans-v...change-deniers

Eppur si muove.

Sore Thumb WHampson Unicycling 0 January 9th 09 03:52 AM
Your thumb is probably more accurate [email protected] Techniques 17 February 1st 08 02:40 PM
Thumb test Ben C Techniques 133 October 9th 06 08:52 PM
WTB: 6-spd Thumb shifters pete5609 Marketplace 0 May 31st 05 09:23 PM
Thumb pain? jmk General 8 July 25th 03 04:46 PM