AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old May 30th 16, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Squirrel!

On Sun, 29 May 2016 14:17:11 +0700, John B.
wrote:

What is a "Newspaper sleeve"? It sounds like some sort of paper bag?

On rainy days, the paper boy delivers our paper in a long, narrow
plastic bag.

I've become accustomed to referring to plastic bags of this shape as
"sleeves", as in "we have twelve sleeves of paper cups". That meaning
of "sleeve" would be a good topic to post on alt.usage.english, but
that group has too much traffic already.

A newspaper sleeve makes a good bootie for riding in bitterly-cold
weather, but we've moved a few miles south of where we used to live,
so I no longer need shoe covers. I haven't shaken the habit of not
throwing them out, and I don't need many for snack organizers and map
covers, so I've collected a grocery bag full.

But now that I have given up wearing shoes, I might need the bread-bag
trick next winter. (The traditional shoe cover was a bread bag.) For
walking to the church on a slushy day a few years ago, I pulled
newspaper sleeves over my heavy socks, then held the bags in place
with black nylon knee socks, the cheap, thin kind that won't hold much
water. Then sandals over that. It kept my feet warmer than my snow
boots.

For cycling, one puts them on over the shoes -- and carries spares for
the trip back. Slot cleats cut a hole in the plastic in exactly the
right place; I don't know whether the trick would work with clipless
cleats.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old May 30th 16, 07:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

What is a "Newspaper sleeve"? It sounds like some sort of paper bag?

On rainy days, the paper boy delivers our paper in a long, narrow
plastic bag.

O.K. I understand. Over here we have "umbrella bags, to store your wet
umbrella in when you enter a store. Perhaps a little longer though :-)

I've become accustomed to referring to plastic bags of this shape as
"sleeves", as in "we have twelve sleeves of paper cups". That meaning
of "sleeve" would be a good topic to post on alt.usage.english, but
that group has too much traffic already.

I see. I've always refereed to them as "tubes" of paper cups.

A newspaper sleeve makes a good bootie for riding in bitterly-cold
weather, but we've moved a few miles south of where we used to live,
so I no longer need shoe covers. I haven't shaken the habit of not
throwing them out, and I don't need many for snack organizers and map
covers, so I've collected a grocery bag full.

But now that I have given up wearing shoes, I might need the bread-bag
trick next winter. (The traditional shoe cover was a bread bag.) For
walking to the church on a slushy day a few years ago, I pulled
newspaper sleeves over my heavy socks, then held the bags in place
with black nylon knee socks, the cheap, thin kind that won't hold much
water. Then sandals over that. It kept my feet warmer than my snow
boots.

Give up wearing shoes? Goodness, it must get a bit nippy wading
through the snow back there. Christmas time, sleigh bells in the air
and yuletide by the fireside (and cold toes :-)

For cycling, one puts them on over the shoes -- and carries spares for
the trip back. Slot cleats cut a hole in the plastic in exactly the
right place; I don't know whether the trick would work with clipless
cleats.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 1st 16, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:17:37 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I see. I've always refereed to them as "tubes" of paper cups.

Pretty much the same idea. I wonder whether "sleeve" is unique to me
.. . . but I picked it up from a fellow who worked in the kitchen when
he was in college. Maybe I *will* post the topic in A.U.E.; it would
make a pleasant change from folks wasting their time (and my
post-skipping energy) responding to our resident troll.

I couldn't have said a "newspaper tube"; that's the open-ended box
bolted to a mailbox post or, in our case, the side of the house beside
the north door. Well, we call ours a "newspaper box" but I've seen
newspaper receptacles that I wouldn't hesitate to call "tubes".

Old June 1st 16, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:17:37 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Give up wearing shoes?

To be more precise, I've given up trying to find shoes in my size.

I didn't find any adjustable-toe sandals at this spring's clearance,
but I have at least four pairs of sandals, so I should manage until
it's sandal-buying season again.

I should have taken a look at the men's shoes while I was in the shoe
stores. Seldom very many sandals in that department, though.

The Lace mailing list reported that Walmart had lace espadrilles, and
I'll be able to ride that far soon, but I imagine that they are
already gone.

Goodness, it must get a bit nippy wading
through the snow back there. Christmas time, sleigh bells in the air
and yuletide by the fireside (and cold toes :-)

I do have a pair of insulated hiking boots I bought in the sixties,
when we passed near R.E.I. on our way back from Hawaii. I said they
pinched, I was going to have to try on men's shoes, the clerk said
"wait" and went into the back room and brought out another pair of the
same brand, model, and size -- and this pair fit.

I wear them only once or twice per winter; the "ankle support" makes
steps awkward.

Old June 1st 16, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

I see. I've always refereed to them as "tubes" of paper cups.

Pretty much the same idea. I wonder whether "sleeve" is unique to me
. . . but I picked it up from a fellow who worked in the kitchen when
he was in college. Maybe I *will* post the topic in A.U.E.; it would
make a pleasant change from folks wasting their time (and my
post-skipping energy) responding to our resident troll.

I couldn't have said a "newspaper tube"; that's the open-ended box
bolted to a mailbox post or, in our case, the side of the house beside
the north door. Well, we call ours a "newspaper box" but I've seen
newspaper receptacles that I wouldn't hesitate to call "tubes".

Well, one definition of "tube" is " small case into which an object
fits" so it seems to be a reasonable description :-)

We have those sections of "drain pipe" with a newspaper's name on them
here. As the Sunday paper is so large it won't fit in the "tube" I've
always wondered what the "paper boy" did then? Throw it over the fence
I suppose :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 1st 16, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

Give up wearing shoes?

To be more precise, I've given up trying to find shoes in my size.

I didn't find any adjustable-toe sandals at this spring's clearance,
but I have at least four pairs of sandals, so I should manage until
it's sandal-buying season again.

Here I would guess that the majority wear some form of sandal, ranging
from rubber flip-flops to very elegant "shoes" that are essentially a
sole with a few tiny straps to hold the foot on top.

Flip-flops are, of course, considered down market apparel and worn
only by the "lowly" and of course by "tourists".

I should have taken a look at the men's shoes while I was in the shoe
stores. Seldom very many sandals in that department, though.

The Lace mailing list reported that Walmart had lace espadrilles, and
I'll be able to ride that far soon, but I imagine that they are
already gone.

Goodness, it must get a bit nippy wading
through the snow back there. Christmas time, sleigh bells in the air
and yuletide by the fireside (and cold toes :-)

I do have a pair of insulated hiking boots I bought in the sixties,
when we passed near R.E.I. on our way back from Hawaii. I said they
pinched, I was going to have to try on men's shoes, the clerk said
"wait" and went into the back room and brought out another pair of the
same brand, model, and size -- and this pair fit.

When I was in the Air Force I wore "brogans", ankle high work shoes,
and so did the WAF's (Women in the Air Force). Of course, most WAF's
were office workers or other jobs where a "dress" uniform was worn,
but occasionally you would see one in her "fatigues" clomping along
with her brogans so apparently sturdy work shoes are made for smaller
feet.

Old June 5th 16, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Seize the day, not the lane

When I was learning to manipulate vulgar fractions, I was taught that
if you have the same number in the numerator that you have in the
denominator, the two "cancel out" -- if you multiply by five and then
divide by five, it's the same as if you'd done nothing, so you might
as well do neither and save yourself the effort.

When I taught vulgar fractions, the students came in knowing that
"cancel" meant "add up to zero" and much confusion resulted -- not
least because I tried to switch to "divide out" and my long years of
saying "cancel" kept sneaking in.

So I drop in here from alt.usage.english to say: LANGUAGE MATTERS!!!!

Every time riding style comes up in discussion, the advocates of
sensible cycling are sure to say "take the lane" -- in the latest
kerfuffle, it's been escalated into "seize the lane".

A good rider does nothing of the sort. He doesn't seize the lane or
even take it. He simply rides where it's sensible to ride: sometimes
that's the right wheel track, sometimes it's the left wheel track,
sometimes it's straight down the middle, sometimes it's the next lane
over, sometimes it's on the shoulder.

And, of course, he always leaves himself room to dodge unexpected
obstacles, but I find that I have enough to say about lane position to
fill another post, and my buffer *is* scraping the barrel, so I'll
save that for another time.

Ob A.U.E.: does the metaphor "scrape the barrel" make sense to people
who have never seen a barrel? They were extinct when I was born, but
for the first twelve years, my library consisted of books Mom had
bought at estate sales, and I became familiar with a great many
out-of-date customs. (Though it wasn't until I re-read it as an adult
that I realized that the Bobbsey Twins were DRINKING water from a
(GAAACK) dug well.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
The above message is a Usenet post.
Old June 5th 16, 08:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 05 Jun 2016 01:08:15 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

When I was learning to manipulate vulgar fractions, I was taught that
if you have the same number in the numerator that you have in the
denominator, the two "cancel out" -- if you multiply by five and then
divide by five, it's the same as if you'd done nothing, so you might
as well do neither and save yourself the effort.

When I taught vulgar fractions, the students came in knowing that
"cancel" meant "add up to zero" and much confusion resulted -- not
least because I tried to switch to "divide out" and my long years of
saying "cancel" kept sneaking in.

Vulgar: lacking refinement or cultivation or taste

Does one have "refined" mathematics too :-)

[...]

Yes, I think "barrel" is still used, at least in some instances
although "drum" seems to have replaced in certain instances. One has a
55 gallon drum of kerosene, for example, but one has a barrel of wine
or whiskey., and the standard for measuring crude oil is still the 42
gallon barrel.

drinking water :-) I was raised drinking water from a dug well.
And, I worked on renovating the Calvin Coolidge homestead one summer.
Cal was raised drinking water from a dug well that was piped into the
hose through a lead pipe :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 9th 16, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Cleaning bottles

Bottles are popping out all over.

A few days after posting, I wanted to walk a mile on a hot day and
couldn't find my 250 ml water bottle[1], so I dove into my
assorted-container cupboard in search of a substitute. In plain
sight, in front of the box of small containers I was after, was a
water bottle I'd put away last fall. I moved it to the bottle holder
of my Trek Pure, and hope that I don't fill it any time soon. A
reasonable hope; my pedal-powered wheelchair is easy on the knees, but
stretching up to the high, one-position handlebars aggravates my
rotator cuff. Which took me a while to discover, and delayed the
healing.

Then a few days ago I got fed up with the all-synthetic gloves I wear
under warm gloves, threw them into the laundry closet to be washed and
put away for the summer, and went looking for my weight-lifting
gloves. (Cotton-back cycling gloves are sometimes available, but
don't come small enough for my dainty hands.) When I opened the
bike-accessories cupboard, there, front and center, were two black
bike bottles. Well one, identifiable by the bottle cage still
attached, is a walk-behind lawnmower bottle. I don't know how long
it's been since we got rid of the walk-behind. Those bottles will
need a thorough cleaning before they are put back into service, which
won't be soon because I tend to carry spare water in quart-size square
Rubbermaid bottles.

Then this evening, while getting ready to roll out two and a half
hours before I normally wake up, I decided to freeze some tea in my
Sheriff Goshert bottle. (Don't ask me what that's about; I acquired
it at a garage sale, and didn't ask for provenance.) I've known all
along that it was in the fridge, but what I didn't know was that there
was half an inch of some sort of beverage and a bunch of tea leaves in
it. I hope they were tea leaves. I guess I didn't know that the last
warm day was the last one. One thorough cleaning later, it's in the
freezer, tipped on its side so the half-cup of tea won't break it when
it expands. I hope I remember to fill it and take it with me in the
groggy morning.

[1] The pocket-size water bottle was in the fridge in plain sight,
and now has a cup of water and a few sprigs of basil in it, ready for
my next sweaty walk.

Old June 9th 16, 08:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

On Wed, 08 Jun 2016 20:35:50 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

[...]

I've been freezing a bottle of drink for a year or two now. In the
climate here a refrigerated bottle stays "cool", well less than
ambient temperature, for no longer than an hour while a frozen bottle
will go for maybe two hours, or perhaps a bit shorter time.

I tried one of those stainless thermos bottles but wasn't impressed,
and will next try to freeze one and see how it lasts.

When worse comes to worst nearly every filling station has a small
"7-11" type shop so chilled bottled water is nearly always available.

--
cheers,

John B.