LBS owner's essay

Old August 1st 20, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default LBS owner's essay

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 1:46:22 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 7:08:33 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/1/2020 8:51 AM, wrote:
On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 5:45:42 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 7/31/2020 6:10 AM, AMuzi wrote:
Much wisdom he

https://cyclingindustry.news/why-a-b...stomer-wisely/

Interesting article. One thing though is that too many shops no longer
are willing to stock and sell the best products in each category, or any
of the more esoteric bits and pieces.

When I needed a replacement 10.5mm x 26 TPI nut for an SRAM 3x7 hub I
first drove to 4 local shops. Forget it. One shop knew what I was
talking about at least. Ordered it from YOUR shop. I wasn't trying to
save money by ordering it, I just wanted the darn part and no LBS could
help me. Later I found one LBS that had the "close enough" 13/32 x 26
TPI Sturmey-Archer axle nuts (that shop is now out of business).

It's just become too much of a hassle for many people to go all over
searching for the thing they want. Many shops have banker's hours and if
you work it's difficult to go the shop except on Saturday. I can't blame
a shop for not stocking a wide variety of slow-selling parts and
accessories, despite the high margins.

Hopefully the boom in bicycle sales will result in some sustained parts,
accessory, and repair business after Covid is over.

One might have thought that you would go to any auto parts store. You do know that the majority of autos in the USA use metric parts do you not?

Sometimes that's good advice. In this case, not so much.

Neither a 1.0 metric nor a 26tpi gauge fits exactly on those
axles and Sachs/SRAM doesn't state the thread. Even if you
decided that 'something close' would do, there are no
m11x1.0 nuts in common use anywhere, not autos, not
McMaster-Carr or what have you.

I will go to Rock Auto or Ace Hardware for my metric connectors.

What the hell is a SRAM Leasure hub?
Old August 1st 20, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

heh heh We go to Ace Hardware for SAE fasteners (we're
rolling in metric here).

Still and all that Sachs/SRAM axle is a special, so you
either buy the correct thread original part or do without.

French Atom tandem axles are 11mm with yet another
nonstandard fine thread. We stock those axle nuts as well.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 1st 20, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

The idea of rare and weird components with non-standard sizes makes me wonder why anyone would go that way. Is that SRAM hub an internally geared hub like the Sturmey-Archer? I was never much for those things because they usually had gear ratios you really couldn't use. A 9 speed and Triple would do anything. I was actually quite happy with 8 speeds since they had all of the necessary ratios with the proper spacing. They only made the 9 because Lance wanted a climbing gear added. They Shimano thought that they'd hit the jackpot since EVERYONE want to copy Lance. So multiple speeds came into being. And the only think that I can say about an 11 is that the chain is more flexible than the 10.
Old August 1st 20, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

AMuzi wrote: On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 5:45:42 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:

When I needed a replacement 10.5mm x 26 TPI nut for an SRAM 3x7 hub

Anyone surprised that SMS did not care to look up the part# or the specs in
the SRAM manuals?

SRAM Part # 65 0516 003 100 Axle Nut FG10,5
65 0516 107 000 Axle Cap Nut FG10,5

I first drove to 4 local shops. Forget it. One shop knew what I was
talking about at least. Ordered it from YOUR shop. I wasn't trying
to save money by ordering it, I just wanted the darn part and no LBS
could help me. Later I found one LBS that had the "close enough"
13/32 x 26 TPI Sturmey-Archer axle nuts (that shop is now out of
business).

Because SMS, the pathetically cheap Walmart + China shopper, and his "smart"
constituents, assume that an LBS can survive on selling a few, somewhat
exotic, axle nuts a year, preferably stocked, to lazy cagers who smugly feel
as if they are "supporting their LBS" by their grandiose spare nut purchases?

Neither a 1.0 metric nor a 26tpi gauge fits exactly on those axles and
Sachs/SRAM doesn't state the thread. Even if you decided that 'something
close' would do, there are no m11x1.0 nuts in common use anywhere, not
autos, not McMaster-Carr or what have you.

From the SRAM techmanual gearhubsystems pdf (archive):
Axle - Ends Diameter - FG 10,5

(FG = Fahrradgewinde)

Your old Winkler-Rauch (book) has all the data on it:
Steigung 0,977; Flankenwinkel 60°;
Außendurchmesser 10,444; Flankendurchmesser 9,924; Kerndurchmesser 9,404;
Gangzahl pro Zoll 26; Gewindetiefe 0,520; Gewinderundung 0,163

--
(any typos might be mine)
Old August 1st 20, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

The unique axle thread discussed here is on Sachs Super
Seven and P5 besides other products:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/suprsevn.html

Old August 2nd 20, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/1/2020 5:48 PM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
[...]

From the SRAM techmanual gearhubsystems pdf (archive):
Axle - Ends Diameter - FG 10,5

(FG = Fahrradgewinde)

Your old Winkler-Rauch (book) has all the data on it:
Steigung 0,977; Flankenwinkel 60°;
Außendurchmesser 10,444; Flankendurchmesser 9,924; Kerndurchmesser 9,404;
Gangzahl pro Zoll 26; Gewindetiefe 0,520; Gewinderundung 0,163

I do think it's strange that they settled on non-standard threading for
such a simple part. Despite claims, it can't be for reasons of strength.

Andrew, any clue why they would have done that?

Vaguely related: I'm in the habit of stripping fasteners or other
potentially useful bits out of devices I'm discarding. So I've got
several small drawers of 1/4-20 sorted by length, a small drawer of
5mmx0.8 stuff, one of 6mmx1, etc.

And I've got a small drawer marked "Metric Misc." which is mostly
fasteners that really shouldn't exist. They don't fit any standard I can
find.

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 2nd 20, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

[...]

I'm ****ed off that my LBS did NOT have a reverse thread, rod brake pad retaining bolt for my 1927 Bulldog ordinary!

Really, you expect a shop to carry an axle bolt that is rare even on the interweb? I could understand your complaint if they didn't have a standard inner-tube, but I would expect a shop to order some Dodo bird part from the manufacturer or some distributor and not keeping it in stock, waiting for that one guy with a SRAM leisure hub -- who somehow LOST a hub nut -- to come into the shop. Its not like a wear item.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 2nd 20, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 6:10:38 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Make that an axle nut.
Old August 2nd 20, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 18:41:15 -0700, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

Had they developed the idea of custom parts for customer lock-in back
then? Otherwise,the recently mentioned local blacksmith probably could
have knocked one up for you.

Sigh, not so recently the area lost a local business that kept all the
standards of those bolts and nuts of high quality manufacture and now we
are back to being awash in an ocean of cheaply manufactured bolts and nut
where no two are the same and you take three spanners to be sure one
matches.

Old August 2nd 20, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 3:10:38 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Well I am disappointed in my LBS not carrying any Campy stuff other than a Record chain and shift cables. Cassettes they have to order which takes a week and 30% more expensive. I can have it on my doorstep within 1-3 days. Tough choice. I understand that a LBS can't have everything on stock and/or at the same online prices but common wear items they should have on stock at a reasonable price. For my last bike purchase I was disappointed in the service of the not so local bike shop being who was the only dealer in the Netherlands.

Lou

NYT ESSAY [email protected] Techniques 2 July 14th 15 05:44 PM
STEEL/CF FRAME ESSAY datakoll Techniques 300 June 21st 13 04:30 PM
uni essay... eh? skrobo Unicycling 3 November 30th 07 05:28 PM
A Brilliant Essay on the Elections [email protected] Racing 4 November 15th 04 05:20 PM
A Brilliant Essay on the Elections [email protected] Racing 0 November 12th 04 05:03 PM