Danger to pedestrians?

Old June 3rd 20, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Danger to pedestrians?

Not a cyclist in sight.
QUOTE:
Two men have been taken to hospital after being hit by a car in London's Sloane Square, police say.

Government minister Greg Hands tweeted a vehicle had "mounted the pavement and struck pedestrians" before being abandoned nearby.

Cordons have been put around the area while the vehicle is searched by officers. The Met said the incident was not terror-related.

A man has been arrested on suspicion of committing driving offences. London Ambulance Service said it was called out at just after 12:00 BST to reports of a collision "involving pedestrians".

"We dispatched two ambulance crews and a medic in a car, with the first of our crews arriving in under four minutes," it said in a statement.

"We treated two men at the scene and took them both to hospital."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...DKgceZw2FQKUAU
Old June 3rd 20, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 03/06/2020 19:35, Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

Probably being used by a qualified cyclist (someone with no driving
licence).

Old June 3rd 20, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Wed, 03 Jun 2020 19:13:56 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]
Probably being used by a qualified cyclist (someone with no driving
licence).

You are getting tediously repetitive.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old June 3rd 20, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 03/06/2020 20:18, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Wed, 03 Jun 2020 19:13:56 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]
Probably being used by a qualified cyclist (someone with no driving
licence).

You are getting tediously repetitive.

A typical symptom that occurs from excessive shouting at traffic.
Quite common in usenet trolls.

--
Bod
Old June 3rd 20, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 7:35:02 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
Not a cyclist in sight.
////

I stand corrected - a cyclist WAS involved.
QUOTE:

Two people have been taken to hospital after the horror but there is no update on their condition.

Police revealed a man has now been arrested on suspicion of driving offences but have given no further update.

They confirmed the incident was not terror-related.

Stunned eyewitnesses reported seeing several people hit by the car before the driver fled the scene.

The car was found in nearby Exhibition Road with nearby offices evacuated "as a precaution" while police investigated.

Charles Birch said his 69-year-old dad Bill McGhee was hit along with a cyclist aged in his 30s.

The 30-year-old said: "My dad was going to meet a friend for a coffee when he was hit.

"When I got to the scene my dad was already in an ambulance.

"He said he had pain in his chest and down his back. I asked him what happened and he responded: 'a car hit me and lots of people. He was going very fast.' "I asked him how fast and he said: 'fast enough for me to go over the car bonnet.'"

Charles also revealed his dad is in a "stable" condition at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital.

Stuart Graham, 31, narrowly avoided being hit by the car as it slammed into the two people today.

He told The Sun Online: "I was walking along outside Cote Brasserie and had my headphones in. I heard a crack and luckily looked up just in time to see the car had mounted the pavement.

"I saw the two people get run over. The man must have been going quite quickly when he hit them, around 30 or 40mph.

"He was driving down the pavement and it looked like it was intentional.

"I managed to dive behind a planter outside a hotel and out of the way off him as he was still on the pavement at this point.

"I'm in no doubt that planter outside saved my life. I think he would've come for me as well had I not ducked behind it and out of the way.

"I realise how much of a lucky escape I had."

Stuart said one man was left with blooding pouring from his head after the crash as stunned onlookers feared they were caught up in a terror attack.

He also revealed a delivery driver had "tailed" the driver after he sped off around a corner, which helped police to find him.

Stuart added: "I looked in his eyes before he fled and he didn't look normal.
"My immediate thought was terrorism especially as it's the anniversary of the London Bridge attack but it's not hugely busy area at the moment so you don't expect something like that to happen there."

London Ambulance Service said they were called to the area at around 12.08pm following reports of a collision "involving pedestrians".

They added two people were treated at the scene before being taken to hospital.

Scotland Yard said: "Police are on scene in Sloane Square, SW1 where they are dealing with a vehicle which has collided with two people.

"We await a condition update. The car was found abandoned. "A man was subsequently arrested arrested for driving offences. Further details await. "Enquiries continue."

Drivers have been asked to expect delays in all directions on the A3217 in the area due to a "collision".
Old June 3rd 20, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 03/06/2020 20:18, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Wed, 03 Jun 2020 19:13:56 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]
Probably being used by a qualified cyclist (someone with no driving
licence).

You are getting tediously repetitive.

The truth irritates you?
Old June 3rd 20, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 03/06/2020 20:26, Bod wrote:
On 03/06/2020 20:18, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Wed, 03 Jun 2020 19:13:56 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]
Probably being used by a qualified cyclist (someone with no driving
licence).

You are getting tediously repetitive.

Someone with no regard for law or its requirements and who has no
intention of complying with the law by learning roadcraft, control of a
vehicle or applying for (let alone paying for) a driving licence - and
has absolutely no regard for the safety of others - is still a fully
qualified cyclist. The law requires no more of him.

That irritates you, doesn't it?

It's still the truth.
Old June 3rd 20, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

JNugent wrote:

[...]

All well and good. But you do realise, on that basis, any seemingly
driver only related incident that occurs is on topic for this group?
At least until such time as we know for sure a valid driving licence
exists for each and every driver concerned. There will surely be
plenty of reports available to post in, and in answer to the question,
"Where's the cyclist?" - the answer, of course, will be that he's
driving the motor vehicle for all we know.

Old June 3rd 20, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 8:33:48 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 7:35:02 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE:
"The man must have been going quite quickly when he hit them, around 30 or 40mph."
ENDS

Must be one of those cyclists that rides along seaside promenades at 30mph and faster that get reported now and then by swivel-eyed, barking-mad busybodies. :-)

Either that, or a nutcase car driver.
We shall see.
Old June 3rd 20, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 8:40:19 PM UTC+1, Kelly wrote:
and in answer to the question,
"Where's the cyclist?" - the answer, of course,

Here he is:

QUOTE:
Charles Birch said his 69-year-old dad Bill McGhee was hit along with a cyclist aged in his 30s.
ENDS

Therefore my post was 100% on topic.