Near Miss of the Day 453: Punishment pass on two-abreast cyclists

Old August 11th 20, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

Default Near Miss of the Day 453: Punishment pass on two-abreast cyclists

On 11:56 11 Aug 2020, Simon Mason said:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 11:44:57 AM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 17:21 10 Aug 2020, Simon Mason said:

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...3-two-abreast-
punishment-pass-276327

I was watching the video and waiting to see this "punishment pass" when
it ended.

All I saw was a van driver overtake some cyclists and make a courtesy
toot

QUOTE: A horn should not be used to indicate your annoyance. ENDS

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/answ...llegal-to-use-
your-horn

As far as I can see the horn was sounded as a warning of the vehicle's
presence. Nothing to do with annoyance.

What I saw was hardly a "punishment pass" by any standard.

It was a long blast, not a "toot". Anyway, what the point of using it
when he had gone past the cyclists?

Poor timing perhaps.
Old August 11th 20, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 3:55:08 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 14:01 11 Aug 2020, Simon Mason said:

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 12:00:52 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:

Whereas drivers DAMAGE 100% of road infrastucture and people and
houses and bridges and the air. They should pay MUCH more than the
pittance they already do.

It's not entirely clear on what basis cyclists rest their claim to be
allowed to use roads.

The Highway Code has a full section that relates to cyclists' use of the
roads. Have you ever read a copy?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...lists-59-to-82

How does the Highway Code confer the right to use the road? It offers
guidance for those who do use the roads but it does not guarantee they can
always do so.

Cyclists do not have licences that can be taken away from them - drivers, on the other hand, can be banned from using the roads. They are then free to cycle on the roads while they serve their ban and take another test if applicable.

Pedestrians and cyclists have a right to use the roads, drivers need a licence, usually VED, insurance and usually an MOT. Failure to comply with these laws can lead to the vehicle being seized and crushed. They are then free to use a bicycle.

Old August 11th 20, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 5:14:55 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:

It was a long blast, not a "toot". Anyway, what the point of using it
when he had gone past the cyclists?

Poor timing perhaps.

Agreed - poor all round.
Old August 12th 20, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 11/08/2020 11:41, Pamela wrote:
On 11:37 11 Aug 2020, Simon Mason said:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 11:35:00 AM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:

If everyone rode a bicycle, who would pay for the roads the
bicycles ride on?

Council tax payers, as they do now?

Local council receive most of their funding from central government.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/uploads/Engli...Report-166.pdf

"English councils are budgeting for revenues of £55.7 billion or £988
per person in 2019–20. Of this, 48% is set to be from council tax, 29%
from retained business rates revenues and 23% in the form of grants from
central government. The vast majority of revenue from grants is in the
form of specific or special grants, which are sometimes ring-fenced for
particular services such as with the public health grant and some
funding for adult social care services."

That 23% is of course an average. Some councils get less (some nothing),
some get more.

It is calculated that 7% of all national tax income is paid by
motorists.

Then it's a bargain.
Old August 12th 20, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 11/08/2020 11:44, Pamela wrote:

All I saw was a van driver overtake some cyclists and make a courtesy toot
to warn them of his presence. Cyclist are prone to wobbling and also not
knowing what is behind them.

In continental countries such toots to announce a vehicles's presence is
very common.

They do it before overtaking, not while overtaking. The idea of a
warning is that it gives the target time to react or prepare.
Old August 13th 20, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 22:00 12 Aug 2020, TMS320 said:

On 11/08/2020 11:41, Pamela wrote:
On 11:37 11 Aug 2020, Simon Mason said:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 11:35:00 AM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:

If everyone rode a bicycle, who would pay for the roads the
bicycles ride on?

Council tax payers, as they do now?

Local council receive most of their funding from central government.

That 23% is of course an average. Some councils get less (some nothing),
some get more.

It is only in the last year that local government's own contribution has
crept past 50%. What I say remains true for the full decade. Here is a more
accurate assessment. You can watch the pictures if the words are too
difficult.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...al-government-
funding-england

Old August 13th 20, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 13/08/2020 11:51, Pamela wrote:
On 22:00 12 Aug 2020, TMS320 said:

On 11/08/2020 11:41, Pamela wrote:
On 11:37 11 Aug 2020, Simon Mason said:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 11:35:00 AM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:

If everyone rode a bicycle, who would pay for the roads the
bicycles ride on?

Council tax payers, as they do now?

Local council receive most of their funding from central government.

That 23% is of course an average. Some councils get less (some nothing),
some get more.

It is only in the last year that local government's own contribution has
crept past 50%. What I say remains true for the full decade. Here is a more
accurate assessment. You can watch the pictures if the words are too
difficult.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...al-government-
funding-england

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/local-government

[avoiding wrap problems]
Old August 13th 20, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 11:37Â* 11 Aug 2020, Simon Mason said:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 11:35:00 AM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:

If everyone rode a bicycle, who would pay for the roads the
bicycles ride on?

Council tax payers, as they do now?

Local council receive most of their funding from central government.

That 23% is of course an average. Some councils get less (some nothing),
some get more.

It is only in the last year that local government's own contribution has
crept past 50%.Â* What I say remains true for the full decade.Â* Here is
a more
accurate assessment.Â* You can watch the pictures if the words are too
difficult.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...al-government-
funding-england

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/local-government

[avoiding wrap problems]

No, it didn't work. That website appears to defy attempt at URL copying.

Old August 13th 20, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 13/08/2020 11:51, Pamela wrote:
On 22:00 12 Aug 2020, TMS320 said:
On 11/08/2020 11:41, Pamela wrote:
On 11:37 11 Aug 2020, Simon Mason said:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 11:35:00 AM UTC+1, Pamela

If everyone rode a bicycle, who would pay for the roads the
bicycles ride on?

Council tax payers, as they do now?

Local council receive most of their funding from central
government.

That 23% is of course an average. Some councils get less (some
nothing), some get more.

It is only in the last year that local government's own contribution
has crept past 50%. What I say remains true for the full decade.
Here is a more accurate assessment.

You can watch the pictures if the words are too difficult.

It looks as though that's all you managed to do. It obviously goes with
your inability to pack a bag.

When the government steals business rates it's dishonest to claim the
portion returned is "government funding".

My LA also has to pay tax on the profit of its business activities.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...unding-england

There, I've fixed the link for you. (It's rather sweet how you and
Nugent cuddle up to each other.)

Old August 13th 20, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 12:07 13 Aug 2020, JNugent said:
[...]

Some newsreaders automatically form a URL of a link within delimiters but I
post without because if you CnP folded links then delimiters are a nuisance.