Swindon schoolteacher brutally attacked by thug in car near Crickladewhile on charity bike ride

Old August 11th 20, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Swindon schoolteacher brutally attacked by thug in car near Crickladewhile on charity bike ride

More sivk thugs in cars.
QUOTE:
A school teacher from Swindon was brutally attacked while out on a charity bike ride.

Peter James was riding near Cricklade to raise money for the Alzehiemer’s Society after his grandad died from dementia in 2014.

But while he was out, a Mercedes drove past very close to his bike.

Peter, 34, signalled to be given more space and the car stopped and waited for him to catch up.

When he did, a man stepped out, yelled abuse, and punched him off his bike and proceeded to attack him for more than five minutes.

Eventually the thug left, and Peter reported the incident to the police.

The attack potentially left him with a broken nose, eye socket and wrist.

Peter, who lives in North Swindon, said: “I just went out for a cycle ride.

"I was cycling through the Chelworth Industrial Estate, I’d just crossed an intersection and a car passed me within touching distance.

“I signalled for more space but he drove up, pulled over, approached me and was shouting and swearing.

“He punched me in the face, which knocked me off the bike.

“Then he stood over me and continued punching me for a good five or 10 minutes.

“At the end of it, he gave me this tirade of abuse and kicked me in the kidneys a couple more times.

“Then he threatened if I got back on my bike he would run me off it..”

Peter started cycling more this year but this is the first time he has experienced anything like this.

“I wouldn’t say I’m a novice cyclist,” he explained, “but I took it up as an interest and to raise a little bit of money.

“This is the first time this has ever happened to me.

“I’m just stunned, I can’t believe that asking for more space warrants that assault. I don’t understand it.

“The driver obviously had a bit of beef against cyclists. He said things like “bloody cyclists, you think you own the f***ing road”.

“I just could not believe it, I was completely shocked.”

Wiltshire Police confirmed they were conducting enquiries into the incident..

A statement said: “We are investigating an assault which occurred in Cricklade shortly after 3pm on Sunday August 9.

“The driver made threats towards the cyclist before driving off in the direction of Malmesbury Road.

“He is described as white, approximately 6ft 3 inches tall, stocky, with greying hair which was slightly balding.

“He was wearing a long-sleeve check shirt and jeans.

“The victim attended the Great Western Hospital following the incident.”

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/...ity-bike-ride/
Old August 11th 20, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 11/08/2020 11:43, Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

An attack lasting more than "five or ten minutes" and then the attacker
left in a car.

Surely the cyclist had enough presence of mind to remember the vehicle's
registration number?

As an aside, does anyone know what this "signal for more space" is?

Which Rule of the Highway Code defines it?

Is it provided for in an Act of Parliament or a Statutory Instrument?

If so, which one(s)?

Old August 14th 20, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 11:43:31 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
Driver has been arrested for the cowardly attack.
QUOTE:
A Swindon motorist in his 50s has been arrested after beating up a charity cyclist in a fit of road rage. The incident apparently came about after schoolteacher Peter James objected to a close pass.

The Swindon Advertiser (link is external) reports that James was cycling along the Ashton Keynes Road near Chelworth Lodge Industrial Estate at 2.45pm on Sunday, August 9 when a man overtook him in a Mercedes without leaving enough room as he passed.

James signalled that the driver should have left more space, only for the man to stop ahead and wait for him to catch up.

As James approached, the man got out of his car and started abusing him. He then punched him off his bike. The man is said to have continued attacking him for over five minutes.

James, who suffered a fractured wrist, reported the attack to police and the driver was arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent.

He has been interviewed and released under investigation while enquiries continue.

Police have appealed for witnesses and specifically wish to speak to the driver of a dark-coloured car – possibly a black Ford people carrier – who was heading towards Ashton Keynes at the time.

PC Jonathan Kilburn said: “This was a serious incident and the cyclist required hospital treatment for his injuries.

"I am really keen to speak to the driver of this vehicle as they may have information which could assist our enquiries.

"Additionally, if you think this may have been you but you do not believe you have any further information, please do let us know so we can eliminate this line of enquiry.

“Cyclists are vulnerable road users but it is vital that we are all considerate when using the road space – keep your distance when overtaking and be mindful of oncoming traffic when doing so.

"We all have a responsibility to keep each other safe when using the roads.”

https://road.cc/content/news/driver-...cyclist-276457

Thug who attacked a cyclist nabbed. Simon Mason UK 1 November 2nd 10 09:29 PM
Cyclist attacked by thug driver. JNugent[_7_] UK 11 October 30th 10 06:21 PM
Cyclist attacked by thug driver. The Medway Handyman[_3_] UK 1 October 30th 10 04:23 AM
Bike Ride for Charity davek UK 2 February 5th 05 10:17 AM
[Texas] Bridgewood Farms "Ride From the Heart" Charity Bike Ride Greg Bretting Rides 0 January 15th 04 05:38 AM