Willing to try: Type of pedal / shoes

Old January 18th 07, 03:16 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ken C. M.

Default Willing to try: Type of pedal / shoes

I am willing to give this NG another try.

Now this has probably been covered here before, but for the sake of any
newcomers it might be worth covering again.

What type of pedal / shoe combo do you like to use on your bents? I have
tried several different types and haven't yet found one that does not
exaggerate the starting / low speed stability problem that many newer
and some not so new bent riders have with their ride. I have wobbled a
bit more than I feel comfy with while next to a motor vehicle. And I
have seen the same with other riders as well. I have tried road pedals
and shoes, toe clips with straps and last but not least platforms. The
toe clips and straps were the best I have tried so far. I would like a
clipless and am considering mtb shoes and pedals.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without
Old January 18th 07, 03:31 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Ken C. M. wrote:

What type of pedal / shoe combo do you like to use on your bents? I have
tried several different types and haven't yet found one that does not
exaggerate the starting / low speed stability problem that many newer
and some not so new bent riders have with their ride.

I personally like Time ATAC clipless with MTB/touring shoes or sandals,
The shoes/sandals are chosen because I want to be able to walk in my
cycle shoes more than I want an absolutely optimised power transmission,
the ATACs because they seem to provide better float, more positive
engagement, engagement over a greater area, and are less prone to cleat
wear problems than SPuDs, and don't need any of that mucking about with
temsion adjustment. Haven't tried eggbeaters, which I imagine would
have similar advantages.

If you find you wobble if you clip in one before staring... just wait
until you're going before you clip in: it's easy enough to cycle with
the cleat over the mech rather than in it. If you find the smaller
platform of a typical clipless pedal makes this a problem then you might
try the pedals that have a clipless mech one side and a plain platform
the other. Get going on the plain side, flip and clip.

Overall, I find a clipless easily the best solution for my 'bent: holds
my feet in place with no pressure on the toes (especially important for
me as I like to cycle in sandals when it's warm enough), and is more
efficient than straps or platforms.

The Shimano sandals for clipless pedals are great for summer riding,
highly recommended.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old January 18th 07, 03:36 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Curtis L. Russell

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:16:03 -0500, "Ken C. M."
wrote:

I am willing to give this NG another try.

Now this has probably been covered here before, but for the sake of any
newcomers it might be worth covering again.

What type of pedal / shoe combo do you like to use on your bents? I have
tried several different types and haven't yet found one that does not
exaggerate the starting / low speed stability problem that many newer
and some not so new bent riders have with their ride. I have wobbled a
bit more than I feel comfy with while next to a motor vehicle. And I
have seen the same with other riders as well. I have tried road pedals
and shoes, toe clips with straps and last but not least platforms. The
toe clips and straps were the best I have tried so far. I would like a
clipless and am considering mtb shoes and pedals.

Ken

On my diamond frames I use the new Shimano snap-in pedals with the
larger, flatter cage, but I still use the two sided Shimano SPDs, one
side platform and one side clip. Its easy to ride in tight situations
on the platform and then flip it over and snap in once traffic opens
up a bit.

At one time they were 323 pedals, but I think the number has changed
over time. There is also a MTB pedal, also a SPD, that had a large
cage and clip on each side. You could use the platform to ride, but on
a couple of occasions I accidentally snapped in when I wasn't
intending to do so.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old January 18th 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Dan B.

Ken C. M. wrote:
snip

What type of pedal / shoe combo do you like to use on your bents? I have
tried several different types and haven't yet found one that does not
exaggerate the starting / low speed stability problem that many newer
and some not so new bent riders have with their ride. I have wobbled a
bit more than I feel comfy with while next to a motor vehicle. And I
have seen the same with other riders as well. I have tried road pedals
and shoes, toe clips with straps and last but not least platforms. The
toe clips and straps were the best I have tried so far. I would like a
clipless and am considering mtb shoes and pedals.

snip

I've used Shimano sandals and mountain shoes, both of which are
SPD-compatible, and both of which have sufficient tread to not produce
that "ball bearings on glass" feeling of road shoes on smooth asphalt.
No real preference between the two, other than the sandals possess a
distinct advantage in hot-weather comfort.

As far as pedals go, I've used the Crank Brothers Candy Cs and the
Shimano single-sided SPD pedal (model escapes me, but it's platform on
one side, clipless on the other). I found that the Candys were more
comfortable for longer rides, but the Shimano pedals were nice for
stop-and-go city traffic where you didn't necessarily want to clip and
unclip between every traffic signal and stop sign.

Of course, these are my experiences only...YMMV.

Best,

Dan

Old January 18th 07, 04:31 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

Dan B. wrote:
Ken C. M. wrote:

snip

I've used Shimano sandals and mountain shoes, both of which are
SPD-compatible, and both of which have sufficient tread to not produce
that "ball bearings on glass" feeling of road shoes on smooth asphalt.
No real preference between the two, other than the sandals possess a
distinct advantage in hot-weather comfort.

snip

I've never been a fan of sandals because of the lack of protections
they afford. I once suffered a severe leg-suck injury and from the
looks of the shoe, I wouldn't want to think of what would have happened
to my foot if I were wearing sandals ... just a thought.

As concerns pedals, I was using rat traps at the time of the injury and
decided clipless was the way to go. I have a set of SPDs and a set
Crank Bros egg beaters, neither of which I have yet tried. I'm
thinking because they are weighted in such a way as to position
themselves well for entry, that Look and Shimano (Look compatible)
pedals should work well. I have the Dura-Ace pedal on my upright and
really like the pedal. The original poster mentioned that he tried
several types. It might be interesting to learn which types he's tried
and what his observations were regarding each one.

Jim McNamara

Old January 18th 07, 04:45 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Buck

On 01/18/2007 15:16:03 "Ken C. M." wrote:

I am willing to give this NG another try.

Now this has probably been covered here before, but for the sake of any
newcomers it might be worth covering again.

What type of pedal / shoe combo do you like to use on your bents? I have
tried several different types and haven't yet found one that does not
exaggerate the starting / low speed stability problem that many newer and
some not so new bent riders have with their ride. I have wobbled a bit
more than I feel comfy with while next to a motor vehicle. And I have
seen the same with other riders as well. I have tried road pedals and
shoes, toe clips with straps and last but not least platforms. The toe
clips and straps were the best I have tried so far. I would like a
clipless and am considering mtb shoes and pedals.

Ken

I recommend you try Time Atac Alium clipless pedals, they are well priced, work well and have free float which is kind to the knees.
--

Buck

Give a little person a little power and create a big problem.

http://www.catrike.co.uk
Old January 18th 07, 04:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
chuck

On 2007-01-18, Dan B. wrote:

Ken C. M. wrote:
snip

[...]

I also have the single sided SPD's. They work out great for me. This
time of year my cleats fill up with clay/mud/snow and having the
platform option is needed. Nashbar has these for $35.

Once spring gets here I'll probably put the dual-sided SPD's on the
recumbent and the single on my hybrid.

I can't wait to get my sandals back out instead of booties. I've had
great luck with the Lake sandals and shoes.

Old January 18th 07, 04:52 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ken C. M.

JimmyMac wrote:
Dan B. wrote:
Ken C. M. wrote:

[...]

Well Jim I have tried look pedals with a pair of frugal adidas road
shoe, these are now on my road bike, I have also tried a set of Wellgo
platforms with clips and straps. And now I have a set of platforms with
no clips or straps. I liked the road pedals when I get rolling but found
clipping in at stop signs and red lights to be a major problem / hassle
with the look style pedals. The clips and strap platforms are now on my
errand DF. They worked reasonably well on the bent, the only issue I had
with them was the way they hung and trying to spin the pedal to slide my
foot into them. And of course the platforms are the easiest to use,
thats probably why the bike came with them.

Ken
Old January 18th 07, 05:33 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Robert Stevahn

wrote:

What type of pedal / shoe combo do you like to use on your bents?

I've always used Speedplay X-type road pedals. They take a little
practice like any clipless pedal, but I'm generally happy with them.
Being road equipment, I do need cafe covers for my exposed cleats. The
cleats on this system are larger than the pedals, and are worth
protecting because they are relatively expensive to replace.

I would like to give the Speedplay mountain bike pedals a try.

-- Robert
Old January 18th 07, 07:34 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
DougC

Ken C. M. wrote:

What type of pedal / shoe combo do you like to use on your bents? I have
tried several different types and haven't yet found one that does not
exaggerate the starting / low speed stability problem that many newer
and some not so new bent riders have with their ride. ....

Ken

I use Speedplay Frogs and Forte Traverse II shoes ($30, on closeout a
couple years back!). When starting out, I don't clip in, I just pedal on
the arches of my feet until I am going fast enough that I know balancing
isn't going to be a problem.