Drive chain in a state of flux.

Old August 12th 08, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Default Drive chain in a state of flux.

My two year old (circa 7000-8000 mile (all weather)) ridgeback was
presented with a shiny new chain on Saturday evening. On Sundays ride,
it was slipping and clunking etc.
I have always replaced the chain somewhere between .75% and 1% stretch,
as measured by my park tool tool.

I know I need to replace the rear sprockets, but should I replace the
front chain rings as well, or are these ok.

If I need to replace the chain rings, then I will chuck the old chain
back on, and ride it into the ground, but if it is just the sprockets, I
will replace them.

Martin.
Old August 12th 08, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

Martin writes:

I know I need to replace the rear sprockets, but should I replace the
front chain rings as well, or are these ok.

Chain rings are bigger and (I think) usually tougher too, so they're
probably OK

-dan
Old August 12th 08, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Martin wrote:
My two year old (circa 7000-8000 mile (all weather)) ridgeback was
presented with a shiny new chain on Saturday evening. On Sundays ride,
it was slipping and clunking etc.
I have always replaced the chain somewhere between .75% and 1%
stretch, as measured by my park tool tool.

I know I need to replace the rear sprockets,

Check for stiff links in the chain before assuming that.

but should I replace the
front chain rings as well, or are these ok.

They're probably still OK. Try the new chain on them first anyway.

~PB

Old August 12th 08, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_5_]

Martin said the following on 12/08/2008 15:06:

I know I need to replace the rear sprockets, but should I replace the
front chain rings as well, or are these ok.

Depends where the slipping is :-) But probably your chainrings are OK.
I mean, Shimano ones look worn out when they're brand new but work
wonderfully!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old August 12th 08, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:06:34 +0100, Martin wrote:

My two year old (circa 7000-8000 mile (all weather)) ridgeback was
presented with a shiny new chain on Saturday evening. On Sundays ride,
it was slipping and clunking etc.
I have always replaced the chain somewhere between .75% and 1% stretch,
as measured by my park tool tool.

I know I need to replace the rear sprockets, but should I replace the
front chain rings as well, or are these ok.

If you keep an eye on the chain then the front ones are probably OK. My
front chainrings (or rather the big one which I used nearly all the time)
wore out after about 2000 miles but I had let the chain stretch a bit too
much.

If you use one of the front chainrings more than the others then you can
compare the shape of the holes/teeth to see how worn they are.

peter
Old August 13th 08, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Daniel Barlow wrote:
Martin writes:

I know I need to replace the rear sprockets, but should I replace the
front chain rings as well, or are these ok.

Chain rings are bigger and (I think) usually tougher too, so they're
probably OK

Thankyou, I have replaced the sprockets, and it is running very well.
(also replaced the rear brake cable, but that is another story).
Old August 13th 08, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Pete Biggs wrote:
Martin wrote:
My two year old (circa 7000-8000 mile (all weather)) ridgeback was
presented with a shiny new chain on Saturday evening. On Sundays ride,
it was slipping and clunking etc.
I have always replaced the chain somewhere between .75% and 1%
stretch, as measured by my park tool tool.

I know I need to replace the rear sprockets,

Check for stiff links in the chain before assuming that.

Funnily I had a stiff link when I first put the chain on, it was one of
the links the power link attached to, so I removed the (stiff) link on
Saturday evening.

Double checked for stiff links yesterday.

Martin.