time trial helmets

Old August 1st 04, 11:37 AM
Katharine & Paul

Default time trial helmets

Hello all!

Any news on when the time trial helmets (as seen in the tour), will be
avaiable to the public???

Paul

Old August 1st 04, 04:02 PM
RonSonic

Katharine & Paul wrote:
Hello all!

Any news on when the time trial helmets (as seen in the tour), will be
avaiable to the public???

Supposedly, that was required of all the TT helmets before the tour this year.

Ron
Old August 1st 04, 04:04 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Katharine & Paul wrote:

Hello all!

Any news on when the time trial helmets (as seen in the tour), will be
avaiable to the public???

Loads of people in our club use them, or something very much like them.
They offer no crash protection, which may be one reason why helmets
aren't compulsory in UK time trialling.
Old August 1st 04, 05:01 PM
Rick Warner

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:04:55 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
wrote:

Katharine & Paul wrote:

Hello all!

Any news on when the time trial helmets (as seen in the tour), will be
avaiable to the public???

Loads of people in our club use them, or something very much like them.
They offer no crash protection, which may be one reason why helmets
aren't compulsory in UK time trialling.

That is the reason for the question. This year in the TdF the TT
helmets *had* to provide crash protection. The days of the
non-protective aero fairings is ending; TT helmets will now need to be
protective.

- rick

Old August 1st 04, 09:13 PM
JayofMontreal

You can currently get the LAS TT helmet, it is CE and UCI approved. Make
sure it is one of the newer ones.

wrote:

Katharine & Paul wrote:

Hello all!

Any news on when the time trial helmets (as seen in the tour), will be
avaiable to the public???

Loads of people in our club use them, or something very much like them.
They offer no crash protection, which may be one reason why helmets
aren't compulsory in UK time trialling.

That is the reason for the question. This year in the TdF the TT
helmets *had* to provide crash protection. The days of the
non-protective aero fairings is ending; TT helmets will now need to be
protective.

- rick

---

Old August 1st 04, 09:16 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Rick Warner wrote:

That is the reason for the question. This year in the TdF the TT
helmets *had* to provide crash protection. The days of the
non-protective aero fairings is ending; TT helmets will now need to be
protective.

I wonder what the effect of a foot-long point sticking out of the back
of one's head has on neck injuries, then?
Old August 2nd 04, 12:41 AM
Kinky Cowboy

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:37:22 GMT, "Katharine & Paul"
wrote:

Hello all!

Any news on when the time trial helmets (as seen in the tour), will be
avaiable to the public???

Paul

The Louis Garneau Prologue helmet has been available for at least a
couple of years. The MET Stradivarius TT is in the shops over here, as
is the LAS. All are protective headwear, not just fairings. I'd expect
the other manufacturers (e.g. Giro) to try to recoup development and
testing costs by offering their new helmets to the public, but some of
the protective aero helmets seen this year in UCI sanctioned events
are old designs (e.g. Brancale and Bell), and are probably NOS from
the manufacturer or distributor, so don't expect to see any on sale.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary
Old August 2nd 04, 10:11 AM
Katharine & Paul

It is exactly the type used in the tour I am referring to.

In the recent track worlds, many riders were using standard road helmets, as
the time trial ones were not crash protective. The helmet makers didnt have
aero helmets that were protective out in time

For the tour, the helmet makers did have time. I was just wondering if they
will be available to the public. I will buy one (as long as the cost isn't
ridiculous)

Paul