Hell Ride (the Empire strikes back)

Old March 15th 04, 01:15 AM
Hitchy

Default Hell Ride (the Empire strikes back)

G'day All

An interesting (& damn annoying) development at Saturdays (13/3/04
'hell ride'....(yes I attempted it again!). Most of you will recall th
'kicking' that bunch rides in general & the 'hell ride' in particular
took from channel 7 recently. It appears that the empire (Mr. Plod) ha
decided on some different tactics to control the 'hell ride'!.....

Arriving at the Blackrock start at 6.55am, all the riders who had com
from the South, to the start were full of warnings of a large polic
presence 'down every side street'....this'll be interesting. We set of
with a police escort of 3 pursuit vehicles & 3 motorcycles, (a littl
overkill methinks!). Everyone behaved & stayed in one lane, & stoppin
at Red lights, (shock horror). I was actually enjoying having th
coppers around, not only did the riders behave, but the motorists wer
forced to as well....this isn't so bad I was thinking....until.....

........Mr motorcycle plod was heading off the front of the bunch to ge
to all the pedestrian lights before the bunch....& pushing the button t
make the lights turn Red!......Mr. pursuit vehicle plod was hanging ou
the window taking digital photos of anyone who failed to stop!.......I'
not sure what this was supposed to achieve apart from ****ing off th
'hell riders' & drawing some unsavory remarks directed at the coppers.
dunno what the photo's will achieve either...last time I looked I didn'
have a rego plate, so I'm not sure how they plan to identify anyone....

Eventually the 'hell ride' broke up into several smaller bunches, cos o
the lights (which may well be the idea?)........interesting....for thos
interested, I held on until Seaford before becoming a victim of th
lights!......madoneman had his piccy taken...he's escaping to Brazil t
avoid arrest

cheers

Hitch

-

Old March 15th 04, 02:45 AM
madoneman

Hitchy wrote:
G'day All,
An interesting (& damn annoying) development at Saturdays (13/3/04)
'hell ride'....(yes I attempted it again!). Most of you will recall the
'kicking' that bunch rides in general & the 'hell ride' in particular,
took from channel 7 recently. It appears that the empire (Mr. Plod) has
decided on some different tactics to control the 'hell ride'!......
Arriving at the Blackrock start at 6.55am, all the riders who had come
from the South, to the start were full of warnings of a large police
presence 'down every side street'....this'll be interesting. We set off
with a police escort of 3 pursuit vehicles & 3 motorcycles, (a little
overkill methinks!). Everyone behaved & stayed in one lane, & stopping
at Red lights, (shock horror). I was actually enjoying having the
coppers around, not only did the riders behave, but the motorists were
forced to as well....this isn't so bad I was thinking....until......
........Mr motorcycle plod was heading off the front of the bunch to get
to all the pedestrian lights before the bunch....& pushing the button to
make the lights turn Red!......Mr. pursuit vehicle plod was hanging out
the window taking digital photos of anyone who failed to stop!.......I'm
not sure what this was supposed to achieve apart from ****ing off the
'hell riders' & drawing some unsavory remarks directed at the coppers. I
dunno what the photo's will achieve either...last time I looked I didn't
have a rego plate, so I'm not sure how they plan to identify anyone.....
Eventually the 'hell ride' broke up into several smaller bunches, cos of
the lights (which may well be the idea?)........interesting....for those
interested, I held on until Seaford before becoming a victim of the
lights!......madoneman had his piccy taken...he's escaping to Brazil to
avoid arrest,
cheers,
Hitchy

Hitchy,

When the cop took my photo, I smiled. When they put me on TV on the
Crime Stopppers segment, I don't want to look like those criminals and
their mug shots. They should get a video camera from the patrol car and
show it on the Worlds Most Dangerous Drivers show.

Looks like on the next Hell ride, I will have to wear a disguise so they
don't recognise me at the start. I might even have to resort to riding
the Madone as I think I was the only rider on a Blue Cannondale.

Madone Man,

Old March 15th 04, 02:45 AM
flyingdutch

madoneman wrote:
PS,
If the cops want me, I will be at the Sunbury Crit this Saturday. For
all those who want to ride in it click on the following Links. Its a
great event with lots of spectators.
http://marcan.customer.netspace.net.au/
Madone Man Again,

got a mate who's a cop who mentioned a 'new' tactic was going to b
'applied' to the hell group. He's a cyclist (and he rides in th
hellgroup occasionally so beware who you talk to lads! :-)

he was called in 'for a chat' by superiors a few months back an
apparently thet ran their theories apst him as what would be the bes
way to 'discourage' such a large group gathering

i had forgot all about this but will ring him tonight and get th
goss (altho he was a bit cagey giving away any more when I grille
him last time...

As for the photo's, my guess would be identify the rider/bike/helmet an
single them out the following weeken

sounds like the winds of change may be in the air gentlemen..

-

Old March 15th 04, 05:45 AM
ftf

Hitchy wrote:
[...]

hehe, very interesting if not a little crazy! Lets just hope that
this isnt the beginning of some sort of bike registration push.
Interesting times...

cheers, Troy

Old March 15th 04, 11:00 PM
amirm

Hitchy wrote:
[...]

umm, conspiracy

So the The Truth Is Still Out There. :

Cheers

-

Old March 16th 04, 12:00 AM
Paul J

Originally posted by Hitchy G'day All

........Mr motorcycle plod was heading off the front of the bunch t
get to all the pedestrian lights before the bunch....& pushing th
button to make the lights turn Red!......Mr. pursuit vehicle plod wa
hanging out the window taking digital photos of anyone who failed t
stop!.......I'm not sure what this was supposed to achieve apart fro
****ing off the 'hell riders' & drawing some unsavory remarks directe
at the coppers. I dunno what the photo's will achieve either...las
time I looked I didn't have a rego plate, so I'm not sure how the
plan to identify anyone....

Are police officers not also required to abide by the law? Or do the
need some serious reminding. Sounds to me like some misconduct. Fo
instance that one on the motorcycle especially was not behaving wit
integrity. I'm not too sure about the legality of motorcyclist
stopping at intersections to push pedestrian buttons. Could b
interpreted as obstructing traffic. And has anyone advised that one i
the car that it is illegal to allow any part of your body to protrud
from a moving vehicle. Do these "plods" not have anything better to d
with their time

Perhaps channel 7 can now do one of their numerous signature storie
about corrupt police wasting tax payers money. Hey now there's a
idea. "Corrupt Police Wasting Tax Payers Money" and "Law Breakin
Evil Cyclists" all together in one story. Wow, now there's specia
edition for them

-

Old March 16th 04, 12:15 AM
Hitchy

Paul J [/i]
[b][quote][i]Originally posted by Hitchy wrote:
G'day All,
........Mr motorcycle plod was heading off the front of the bunch to
get to all the pedestrian lights before the bunch....& pushing the
button to make the lights turn Red!......Mr. pursuit vehicle plod was
hanging out the window taking digital photos of anyone who failed to
stop!.......I'm not sure what this was supposed to achieve apart from
****ing off the 'hell riders' & drawing some unsavory remarks directed
at the coppers. I dunno what the photo's will achieve either...last
time I looked I didn't have a rego plate, so I'm not sure how they
plan to identify anyone.....

Are police officers not also required to abide by the law? Or do they
need some serious reminding. Sounds to me like some misconduct. For
instance that one on the motorcycle especially was not behaving with
integrity. I'm not too sure about the legality of motorcyclists
stopping at intersections to push pedestrian buttons. Could be
interpreted as obstructing traffic. And has anyone advised that one in
the car that it is illegal to allow any part of your body to protrude
from a moving vehicle. Do these "plods" not have anything better to do
with their time?
Perhaps channel 7 can now do one of their numerous signature stories
about corrupt police wasting tax payers money. Hey now there's an
idea. "Corrupt Police Wasting Tax Payers Money" and "Law Breaking
Evil Cyclists" all together in one story. Wow, now there's special
edition for them.

G'day Paul

Agree, I'm not advocating any of the bad behavoiur that sometime
happens on the 'hell ride', either by the cyclists or th
motorists....but I think the response needs to be in line with th
extent of the problem. We're talking about 150-200 cyclists at 7am on
saturday morning for 1.5hrs......do these evil lawbreakers require
pursuit Vee Hic Als, (ya gotta say it with the jackie gleason accen
from 'Smokie & the Bandit') & 3 motorcyclists?....going out of there wa
to disrupt peaceful & lawful (lets not forget this ride is NOT illegal
assembly?.....It makes me glad to be a Victorian...our crime & ant
social behaviour are obviously at an all time low...so much so that th
coppers ar now being paid to attend gay marches & harras
cyclists......

cheers

Hitch

-

Old March 16th 04, 12:15 AM
flyingdutch

the changing of all lights does rather smell of entrapment, doesnt i

The proposed bv plans for more points to get across B Rd is going t
cause more headaches too (altho bv being successful is another thing

wasnt able to get hold of me mate the copper last night (he's workin
night shift; catching no light-using bikers perhaps?

-

Old March 16th 04, 12:45 AM
cfsmtb

Paul J [/i]
[b][quote][i]Originally posted by Hitchy wrote:
Perhaps channel 7 can now do one of their numerous signature stories
about corrupt police wasting tax payers money. Hey now there's an
idea. "Corrupt Police Wasting Tax Payers Money" and "Law Breaking
Evil Cyclists" all together in one story. Wow, now there's special
edition for them.

After watching ABC Four Corners on Monday evening, a story entitle
"Speeding Police Target Cyclists" would take on an entirely differen
context. Controlled delivery anyone

-