Drive chain 'click' question

Old October 30th 04, 04:13 PM
Dave Hallsworth

Default Drive chain 'click' question

Hi - I'm sure you get hundreds of these requests, but I'd be extremely
grateful for any help!

My bike has developed a intermittent click - by intermittent, I mean it will
happen for a few minute, then disappear for a period of time; this could be
a few minutes, could be an hour. It's a definite, short 'click', not a
grind or anything like that. I seem to notice it more going uphill. It
happens at the same stage of the pedal cycle (with the left crank at 10
o'clock). It doesn't happen if I peddle with my right foot only (i.e. left
foot unclipped), but does happen (intermittently) if I peddle with my left
foot only. It happens on both sides of the SPD. I can't reproduce it
pedalling backwards, or with the bike on the stand. I've tried tightening /
loosening the SPDs with no effect. I haven't noticed it if I ride with
normal shoes, but then again I didn't ride it for long to test it.

The bike is a Raleigh steel frame road bike, Sora throughout, Ultegra hubs
handbuild with Mavic CXP22s. The peddles are Wellgo MTB SPDs, and I ride
them with a relatively cheep pair of Luck road shoes and Shimano cleats.
The gears are set up pretty much perfectly, and as far as I'm aware (the
bike is second hand from a careful owner), it's never been crashed.

My intuition says it's something to do with the left SPD pedal / cleat, but
I've heard something about a 'mavic tick'?

Any suggestions of things I can try before taking it into the shop would be
very much appreciated.

Cheers,
David

Old October 30th 04, 04:25 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Dave Hallsworth wrote:
[...]

Wear ear plugs. ;-)

Seriously, I *was* going to guess your FD cable tip was hitting your right
foot, pedal or crank arm, but then you mentioned... hey wait, that could
still be it! Is the cabe end moving to a position allowing this when FD
shifts to small ring?

Bill "if it were me, I'd guess it's my KNEE clicking" S.

Old October 30th 04, 04:29 PM
Scott Ehardt

"Dave Hallsworth" wrote in message
[...]

I had the same problem with a mountain bike I had, but I only noticed the
problem while riding it on roads. I thought for the longest time it was the
pedals but it turned out to be the intersection of the seat and seatpost. I
have no idea if this is common or not, but my main point is if you can't
find the problem in your pedals you should check the rest of the frame
because sound travels so well through it.

--
Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com

Old October 30th 04, 05:21 PM
RP10128

"Dave Hallsworth" wrote in
:

[...]

I also had an intermittant click. I solved the problem by
tightening the lock ring. You need a special lock ring wrench to do
this, but your LBS will probably lend you theirs.
Old October 30th 04, 05:41 PM
Dan Daniel

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:13:56 GMT, "Dave Hallsworth"
wrote:

Any suggestions of things I can try before taking it into the shop would be
very much appreciated.

Cheers,
David

Pull the bottom bracket and grease all surfaces and reassemble. Make
sure crank arm is tight. Grease the seat post. Tighten the seat clamp.
Check pedal bearings for play. Check your clothing for any loose
change or keys in a pocket.

When I had an SPD cleat/pedal problem, I could *feel* it, not hear it.
Old October 30th 04, 05:44 PM
Arthur Harris

"Dave Hallsworth" wrote:
[...]

Mavic tick has to do with Mavic rims. That would not occur only at a
particular pedal position or left foot pedaling only.

At the 10 o'clock position you would be putting close to max power on the
left crank (if I'm visualizing this right), especially when climbing.
Anything from a handlebar stem to a seatpost/saddle could cause a click, but
in your case, I'd suspect either the pedal, the crank attachment to the BB,
or the BB itself.

Check that the pedal is screwed in tight. Borrow a different pedal if
possible to isolate. Check that the crank bolt is tight. Check chainring
bolts for tightness. Add grease or teflon tape to the BB threads.

First make sure it's not something silly like the right crank intermitently
hitting the Front der. If the click isn't getting worse or driving you mad,
learn to live with it.
;-

Art Harris

Old October 30th 04, 05:45 PM
Stan Cox

Dave Hallsworth wrote:

[...]

I had something similar & it turned out to be one of the pins/rollers
on the chain had broken. I had convinced myself it didnt happen when I
pedalled one footed too.

Stan Cox

Stan Cox
Old October 30th 04, 08:37 PM
Martin Wilson

My intuition says it's something to do with the left SPD pedal / cleat, but
I've heard something about a 'mavic tick'?

Any suggestions of things I can try before taking it into the shop would be
very much appreciated.

Cheers,
David

To eliminate the possibility of it being the crank/bb connection or
pedal/crank thread you could use some copper anti-seize type grease.
This can eliminate noise/clicking especially where steel and aluminium
are connected together or aluminium to aluminium.
Old October 30th 04, 09:36 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Dave Hallsworth wrote:

[...]

It can be almost ANYTHING. Check all the easy things first: spray WD40
on the SPD pedal claws, check the cranks are tight on their spindle,
remove and replace the saddle after cleaning and greasing the rails (the
saddle can be the source of more "pedalling" clicks than you'd credit)
and grease the bar/stem interface. Check everything for cracks while
you're at it.

Finally, remove the bottom bracket, check it spins smoothly and refit it
in the frame with copious amounts of anti-seize. Sod's Law dictated that
this, being the most annoying and time consuming job, was the cure for
my click.

It won't be a stiff link in the chain; this would not happen at the same
point in every crank revolution, or at least only in one gear.
Old October 31st 04, 02:16 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

dave- but does happen (intermittently) if I peddle with my left
foot only. BRBR

Overhaul the pedals.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Drive chain info needed Tim Hall UK 2 April 5th 04 01:08 PM
replacement chain question R Zych Techniques 18 February 14th 04 04:20 AM