KH Seats

Old September 24th 03, 11:51 AM
Nick Grey

Default KH Seats

I've had a Kris Holm seat for about 6months. Recently it's started to
develop a lot of flex and makes various creaking noises when pulled on.
I'm not a particularly abusive rider, I do mostly freestyle and a bit of
light trials.

I was wondering how common this is, so I thought I'd start this thread
to do a little informal survery. Has your KH seat become suddenly more
flexible since you bought it, and if so, how long did it take to happen?
Any other problems with the seat? Please reply even if you haven't had
any problems (including how long you've not had any problems for ).

Note, I'm not criticising this product, I have found it excellent in
terms of comfort and very practical for hopping etc. I just thought
that now it's been out for a while it would be good to get an idea of
it's durability. If we find, for example, that a lot of people need to
replace their seat once or twice a year, that would be useful
information.

--
Nick Grey

Old September 24th 03, 02:18 PM
Rowan

Nick Grey wrote:
*Has your KH seat become suddenly more flexible since you bought it,
and if so, how long did it take to happen?
Any other problems with the seat? *

Don't get me started.
[image:
http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smil...rtiert007.gif]
When I got my Unicycle seat (around June) the material started pulling
out from the staples on one side, producing an unsightly bulge in the
padding. It started out like this and got worse with wear. It did not
discomfort me but seemed not to be very well constructed. The 'flex'
(http://tinyurl.com/ohqu) was there from the start. The first models of
KH seats, which mine obviously was, came with no reinforcement between
the seatpost bracket and the front handle, just steel against plastic.
This created a lever-like action - the handle bent the plastic around
the edge of the bracket, eventually weakening and snapping it. Mine
snapped in less than six months, I was not particularly hard on it, but
it was in someone elses hands at the time it broke, so I can't comment
on his inexperienced technique, and maybe excessive force used. I am
criticising this product, the first KH seats suck as far as durability
goes, but I think they have potential with a bit of modification in
future models, as they are very comfortable and practical like Nick
mentioned.

The creaking noises you are experiencing could be coming from the nuts
loosening themselves, as many people have complained about them. Be
careful not to overtighten because apparently they can spin in the
holes, making them difficult to deal with. Creaking and squeeking noises
are definitely annoying sounds to listen to, and loose nuts are equally
as annoying.

I have an airseat, but since I had a bit of trouble with corrosion on my
fasteners, I chucked my broken KH saddle back on, to test how it rides
on top of the angled rails adapter. The broken KH seat totally sucks for
hopping, but is ridable. I tried sidehopping up a tiny curb, maybe 12cm.
The seat bent upwards, crushed my nuts, and I fell off. Not good at all.
I'm going to replace my airseat fasteners, but I am not going to hurry
to replace my Kris Holm seat in case I get an old one again. I'll wait
till they all get sold, then when the ones with the reinforcing plate
come out I will consider getting one again, since I quite like how they
feel compared to other seats.

I feel I am owed some kind of discount for a seat replacement, since I
was a guinea pig given an inferior seat for testing. I don't really care
if I get nothing, I just like sitting here complaining and moaning. I am
glad that other people will reap the benefits from the improvements to
KH seats. It's a pity about everyone who got a flexy first-production
model, tough luck.

--
Rowan - •·.·´¯`·.·•
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Old September 24th 03, 07:37 PM
phil

I should probably keep my mouth shut, but I feel quite smug... I got a
KH seat when they first came out last October, and mine has been and
still is fine. Very little flex, no ripping or bending where it
shouldn't, after a year of abuse.

/me is happy...

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

Old September 24th 03, 11:31 PM
Klaas Bil

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:37:35 -0500, phil
wrote:

I should probably keep my mouth shut, but I feel quite smug... I got a
KH seat when they first came out last October, and mine has been and
still is fine. Very little flex, no ripping or bending where it
shouldn't, after a year of abuse.

Mine is as old as yours and is fine as well. I was already thinking I
don't use it enough, or hard enough. But, wait, of course we have the
European quality version!

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
If the crank is moving then it really sounds as if it's loose. - onewheeldave trying to pinpoint the cause of a clicking crank

Old September 25th 03, 12:17 AM
gerblefranklin

I have one of the early models on my 24x3 and my only complaint is that
it feels really flexy. It's still lasted me about 5 months so I'm happy.
The one that came on my Onza is much less flexy (although I've had it
less than a week) and I'm really liking it. BTW, Rowan, I know how you
feel, that happened with my miyata handle, and it really sucks.

Keep Riding

--
gerblefranklin

I don't break equipment, I make it cheaper.

Old September 25th 03, 01:56 AM
Rowan

gerblefranklin wrote:
*Rowan, I know how you feel, that happened with my miyata handle, and
it really sucks. *

I'm not sure if you understand me fully, but you probably do. My seat
snapped in the middle, and the handle is fine. It must suck to snap the
handle off, but a handle seems easier to replace than the middle of the
seat. Any parts breaking sucks. I find that if a part can break, it
usually does. The only things I haven't broken are seatposts, and
profiles. I've cracked a lollypop frame, stuffed my bearings underwater,
bent cranks, snapped an axle twice, stuffed up some pedals, tacoed a rim
beyond repair, broken the seat. The list goes on, I can't even think of
all the little things that have gone wrong. I'm glad I don't own a car,
because they have so many more moving parts to go haywire. I don't
consider myself to be particularly hard on equipment either, I think a
lot of parts are made cheaply and are not intended for real-life use.

Old September 25th 03, 02:02 AM
zach_jucha

-Originally Posted By phil-

*I should probably keep my mouth shut, but I feel quite smug... I got
a KH seat when they first came out last October, and mine has been and
still is fine. Very little flex, no ripping or bending where it
shouldn't, after a year of abuse.*

same here

--
zach_jucha - rediscovering the joy of immolation

-The whole scrotum thing had better be covered well indeed-

- Klaas Bil
zach_jucha's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4072

Old September 25th 03, 02:46 AM
andrew_carter

Mine is a bit loose but only because I'm too scared of over tightening
it and spinning the bolts. New unicycle syndrome...you know how it is.
How easily do they spin though? I love the seat.

Nick,
I know a unicyclist called Nick Green.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au!

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au - Opening soon!
I love unicycling!

Old September 25th 03, 06:52 AM
chirokid

Rowan wrote:
* I am glad that other people will reap the benefits from the
improvements to KH seats. *

Thank you Rowan, I appreciate the testing. My KH Seat seems really
good! --chirokid--

--
chirokid

"Unicycling can make you proud then humble in very quick succession."
Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old September 25th 03, 12:48 PM
Klaas Bil

Tmornstar wrote:
*Does anybody know if there is a KH freestyle saddle in the offing?*

Well Kris isn't really deep into freestyle is he. But the saddle is
available without the handle; not sure if that makes it a freestyle
saddle IYHO.

Klaas Bil

--
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict