today's ride

Old April 16th 18, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default today's ride

On 2018-04-15 21:05, James wrote:
On 16/04/18 08:51, jbeattie wrote:

Road tires generally cut through new hail and snow unless it really
accumulates fast. I've never had problems with rim brakes riding in
hail. I just don't like it because it hurts my face. The conditions
that cause hail usually don't last for very long, and the upside is
that it bounces off you -- unlike rain. If its Old Testament
apocalyptic hail, I go hide under an overhang until it stops.

I've been caught out in apocalyptic hail, with no overhang for many
kilometres. It doesn't just hurt your face. It hurts anywhere it hits.
Shoulders, back, legs, face, arms, hands, etc.

The worst is that it accumulate in all those diagonal air holes of the
helmet and almost gives a brain freeze. Note to self: Carry an oversized
shower cap in the tool kit :-)

The last hail wasn't apocalyptic, no golf-ball sized ice chunks.
However, it was coming down like someone had opened an infinitely large
ice chest up there and no useful overhang for miles until we got to an
old railroad tunnel.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 16th 18, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 4:10:46 AM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
James wrote:
On 14/04/18 22:42, AMuzi wrote:
Cold, windy, sleet, grey, dismal, blecchhh.

https://www.channel3000.com/news/loo...hail/729197821

Nope. Clear blue sky. Hardly a breeze. 31 degrees C. Very little
traffic. One other bike rider, an 80 year old fellow out for a 30km
ride on his electric assist bike.

Give it 6 months and report back. :-)

Snow, sleet, hail, freezing rain and rain here in the last 24 hours. And
45k winds to churn things up.
We are also waiting for spring in June. But we’re taking this wait and see
approach...

It's not so bad here. The people in Minneapolis mock us -- as they should: https://blogs.mprnews.org/statewide/...o-bad-weather/

Rain and even light snow is no big deal if you're dressed right. The second I feel freezing rain, I turn around and go home. Even with studs, freezing rain and sheet ice is a no-go. Apart from crashing, it is also the worst possible riding condition -- freezing and wet.

The deal is that no rain gear keeps you dry forever. You will soak through eventually, and then its a matter of whether you can stay warm. In freezing and near freezing rain, I'm miserable after soak-through even with poly pro, wool (name the magical fabric). Throw in a descent in freezing/near-freezing rain, and I go hypothermic. I did a day-long ride in near freezing rain with snow at the top of a climb (Larch Mountain). Climbing was easy because I was generating heat, but the 14 mile descent about killed me. I was shivering so hard I could barely hold my bars. I tried to channel Andy Hampsten, but it didn't work. https://tinyurl.com/yd53bgul

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 16th 18, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

James wrote:
On 14/04/18 22:42, AMuzi wrote:
Cold, windy, sleet, grey, dismal, blecchhh.

https://www.channel3000.com/news/loo...hail/729197821

Nope. Clear blue sky. Hardly a breeze. 31 degrees C. Very little
traffic. One other bike rider, an 80 year old fellow out for a 30km
ride on his electric assist bike.

Give it 6 months and report back. :-)

Snow, sleet, hail, freezing rain and rain here in the last 24 hours. And
45k winds to churn things up.
We are also waiting for spring in June. But we’re taking this wait and see
approach...

It's not so bad here. The people in Minneapolis mock us -- as they should: https://blogs.mprnews.org/statewide/...o-bad-weather/

I've been in Quebec for a long time now but I remember going for
training in Minneapolis/St. Paul. I think that it's a close call which
place is the coldest I've been between here and there.

[...]

Last race I did was in the hills north of here at Park Mauricie. 105km
with 1500 meters. The first half was pouring cold rain where you went
between freezing on the descents and sweating on the climbs. I remember
my eyes were burning on a climb when the rain washed sweat into them.

About the best you can do is to find something light enough to keep you
relatively warm so that when it stops you can pack it up easily.
Old April 16th 18, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/16/2018 2:01 PM, jbeattie wrote:
Rain and even light snow is no big deal if you're dressed right.

I guess I've never figured out how to dress right.

I took a short ride yesterday to burn off IRS frustration. About 8 miles
from home the rain hit. Rain cape and street clothes worked poorly,
partly because I forgot my mudflap. But at least my frustration had a
target other than the IRS.

I did a day-long ride in near freezing rain with snow at the top of a climb (Larch Mountain). Climbing was easy because I was generating heat, but the 14 mile descent about killed me. I was shivering so hard I could barely hold my bars. I tried to channel Andy Hampsten, but it didn't work. https://tinyurl.com/yd53bgul

Did you have goggles like his? It's all about the goggles.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 16th 18, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

James wrote:
On 14/04/18 22:42, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

That is how I learned that I shall wear my head sweat band also in
winter weather. No more sweat washing down into the eyes. It's good
policy to carry two of those for swapping when soaked through. A sweat
band airing out under the saddle isn't a pretty sight but sure beats
burning eyes.

About the best you can do is to find something light enough to keep you
relatively warm so that when it stops you can pack it up easily.

A very thin tight rain coat would be nice, one that can be rolled up
into a very small ball when not in use.

Old April 17th 18, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 11:51:03 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
... we were appropriately dressed in rain gear, although I let my son use my favorite Showers Pass jacket. I was in a Castelli Gabba rain jersey and vest, which soaked through on the arms and shoulders. The sacrifices I make as a parent! The good part is that he gets pro deals on Showers Pass, so he's going to get his own rain jacket soon. Mine is now off limits.

Good luck with that.

AJ
Old April 17th 18, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 4:52:18 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 11:51:03 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
... we were appropriately dressed in rain gear, although I let my son use my favorite Showers Pass jacket. I was in a Castelli Gabba rain jersey and vest, which soaked through on the arms and shoulders. The sacrifices I make as a parent! The good part is that he gets pro deals on Showers Pass, so he's going to get his own rain jacket soon. Mine is now off limits.

Good luck with that.

This time, wishful thinking worked. My son works he https://stagescycling.com/us/ It is .9 mile from he https://www.showerspass.com/ He's picking up his jacket today, direct from the maker. I expect him to be modeling it when I get home along with whatever other new bicycle swag he's acquired today. He's going nuts with all the pro deals. It's time for an intervention -- after he gets me some Conti 4Seasons (my one splurge).

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 17th 18, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

James wrote:
On 14/04/18 22:42, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Showers Pass. It's the best. -- Mario.

Old April 17th 18, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 16/04/18 21:10, Duane wrote:
James wrote:
On 14/04/18 22:42, AMuzi wrote:
Cold, windy, sleet, grey, dismal, blecchhh.

https://www.channel3000.com/news/loo...hail/729197821

Nope. Clear blue sky. Hardly a breeze. 31 degrees C. Very little
traffic. One other bike rider, an 80 year old fellow out for a 30km
ride on his electric assist bike.

Give it 6 months and report back. :-)

In six months the weather will be fairly similar to now, except perhaps
a little more wind from the West. We've just started "the dry". For
six months we get cool nights, clear sky and warm days, with very little
chance of rain.

88km this morning. Only had the lycra skin suit on, and I was still
sweating.

--
JS
Old April 17th 18, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 17/04/2018 1:05 AM, James wrote:
On 16/04/18 21:10, Duane wrote:
James wrote:
On 14/04/18 22:42, AMuzi wrote:
Cold, windy, sleet, grey, dismal, blecchhh.

https://www.channel3000.com/news/loo...hail/729197821

Nope.Â* Clear blue sky. Hardly a breeze. 31 degrees C. Very little
traffic.Â* One other bike rider, an 80 year old fellow out for a 30km
ride on his electric assist bike.

Give it 6 months and report back. :-)

In six months the weather will be fairly similar to now, except perhaps
a little more wind from the West.Â* We've just started "the dry".Â* For
six months we get cool nights, clear sky and warm days, with very little
chance of rain.

88km this morning.Â* Only had the lycra skin suit on, and I was still
sweating.

we're supposed to be starting spring here in Montreal. Typically it
would be in the low teens but it's below zero with rain/sleet/hail for
the last week. And windy. The last few years we've had wet springs but
this cold is unusual. With the blowing rain or sleet it's not pleasant
to ride at all. They're saying high of 12 Saturday and dry so there may
be hope...

Today's ride Tom Crispin UK 7 October 12th 08 03:37 PM
Today's Ride Nigel Randell[_2_] UK 5 October 23rd 07 10:38 AM
today's ride Zebee Johnstone Australia 7 May 14th 06 09:02 AM
Seen on today's ride Brian G UK 31 January 25th 06 12:58 PM
Today's ride Tim Hall UK 6 February 3rd 04 11:45 AM