Safety inflation

Old July 9th 18, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Safety inflation

On 7/8/2018 10:49 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jul 2018 15:15:46 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

web. meh.
The definitive work is:
https://www.alibris.com/Bicycles-in-...006?matches=11

Thanks. The book is now on order for $9.42 including tax and
shipping. If I decide to weaponize one of my bicycles, it might give
me some ideas on what can be done.

If my bookshelf collapses from being overloaded, it's your fault.

Incidentally, one of my friends has recently morphed into a "prepper"
and "zombie apocalypse" enthusiast. He's outfitting his ancient
Stumpjumper with survival supplies in case the SHTF (s**t hits the
fan) in case he needs to "bug out" quickly. (Sorry, but I'm just
learning the lingo).
https://www.google.com/search?q=prepper+bicycle&tbm=isch
So far, I'm impressed with his thinking and suspect that my efforts to
weaponize one of my bicycles will follow his example. Eventually, the
bicycle manufacturers and custom builders will discover the prepper
bicycle market, release similar products, and pollute the market with
innovative but impractical designs.

Oh great just what our industry needs, more overpriced crap
marked 'TACTICAL' only because they are matté black.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 9th 18, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 08:13:03 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Not quite. The matte black color scheme symbolizes aggression, which
makes it suitable for assault bicycles and suicidal night riders. For
a prepper bicycle, stealth camouflage colors are more appropriate,
where one wants the rider and bicycle to appear invisible.

Just think of the possibilities of selling helmets with night vision
goggles attached, rear rack mountable smoke screen projectors, high
power dynamo generators for producing power while camping in the
middle of nowhere, megalumen headlights for blinding the attacking
zombies, conversion kits for burn anything steam power (sBike), and
rear wheel centrifugal rock launchers for defense.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mythbusters+confederate+steam+gun&tbm=isc h

Golden Goose: In order to sell something new in the bicycle market,
it is first necessary to create an "activity" to support it. The only
requirements are that it be done on or with a bicycle and that the
rider or operator has a tolerable chance of surviving. A catchy name
and associated acronym are also a good idea. There should also be
some kind of association with society's losers, as is common in the
fashion industry.

So, there's the problem. All you need to do is package the "prepper
bike", "survival bicycle", "forest bike", "zombie chaser", or
whatever, into something that can be marketed to those with more money
than good sense. I think the first step should be to give it a better
name. As I recall, before "mountain bike" became the de facto
standard, Bicycling magazine had a contest for a suitable name, which
attracted quite a bit of (free) attention. Starting a fad would also
be helpful. How about wrapping knobby tires with chicken wire or wire
mesh to create "armored" tires suitable for riding through the forest
off of the trails? I'm salivating at the possibilities here (or was
it the coffee)? Anyway, if you need a swift kick in the imagination,
you know whom to ask.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 9th 18, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/9/2018 12:26 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:
(we have a Minneapolis Bike Coalition
and a St. Paul Bike Coalition that have sprung into existence to push
for these in the past few years, neither of which seem to have the
foggiest notion of competent bike lane design).

Whaddya mean?? "Any bike facility is a good bike facility!" Isn't that
the modern motto?

And if it is pretty obviously crap, they fall back on "Well at least
they're doing _something_ for us."

http://wcc.crankfoot.xyz/facility-of...h/July2004.htm

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 9th 18, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/9/2018 3:52 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/9/2018 12:26 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:
(we have a Minneapolis Bike Coalition
and a St. Paul Bike Coalition that have sprung into existence to push
for these in the past few years, neither of which seem to have the
foggiest notion of competent bike lane design).

Whaddya mean?? "Any bike facility is a good bike facility!" Isn't that
the modern motto?

Wait, I take that back.

"Anything other than a 'parking protected bike lane' is too dangerous to
ride." THAT's the current motto.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 11th 18, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike A Schwab

http://mountainbikemilitia.com/ has their own REAL MAN saddle from Sheldon Brown.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html
Old July 11th 18, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 10:46:54 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

So, there's the problem. All you need to do is package the "prepper
bike", "survival bicycle", "forest bike", "zombie chaser", or
whatever, into something that can be marketed to those with more money
than good sense. I think the first step should be to give it a better
name. As I recall, before "mountain bike" became the de facto
standard, Bicycling magazine had a contest for a suitable name, which
attracted quite a bit of (free) attention. Starting a fad would also
be helpful. How about wrapping knobby tires with chicken wire or wire
mesh to create "armored" tires suitable for riding through the forest
off of the trails? I'm salivating at the possibilities here (or was
it the coffee)? Anyway, if you need a swift kick in the imagination,
you know whom to ask.

I just realized that such a "prepper bicycle" will spend 99.999999% of
its useful life slowly rusting away in a garage awaiting the zombie
apocalypse or when the SHTF, when thousands of riders will emerge from
hiding and attack. Therefore, it is not necessary that a prepper
bicycle be efficient, light weight, or even comfortable. It merely
needs to be easy to store, quickly to deploy, and ready to ride. This
is quite different from a traditional bicycle, where the owner rides
the bicycle on an irregular basis. I gotta think about this more
carefully.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Safety inflation Frank Krygowski[_4_] Techniques 21 January 6th 18 03:24 AM
Safety inflation: The next level Frank Krygowski[_4_] Techniques 5 June 29th 15 04:09 PM
OT Inflation A.C.P.Crawshaw UK 0 August 15th 08 01:37 PM
OT Inflation Danny Colyer UK 0 August 12th 08 06:35 PM
OT Inflation spindrift UK 0 August 12th 08 03:40 PM