Torque Applied to Saddle Clamp?

Old July 6th 18, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bruce 'Not Glug' Lee

Default Torque Applied to Saddle Clamp?

As Subject:. I know (since it's marked on the clamp) that 8.9 N-m is the
torque to apply to the seat post on my Surly. What about the clamp that
actually holds the saddle to the seatpost? I'm tempted to give it the
same. Any ideas?

--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
Old July 6th 18, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 06/07/18 14:50, Bruce 'Not Glug' Lee wrote:
As Subject:. I know (since it's marked on the clamp) that 8.9 N-m is the
torque to apply to the seat post on my Surly. What about the clamp that
actually holds the saddle to the seatpost? I'm tempted to give it the
same. Any ideas?

What sort of clamp is it?

~ Steel band with threaded stud and two nuts probably impossible to
overtighten.
~ The washboard type with one large vertical Allen bolt, grab the seat
and firmly pull it in all directions to make sure the two washboards are
properly locked together.
~ Infinitely variable with two smaller vertical Allen bolts, mine has
12Nm stamped on it.
Old July 6th 18, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bruce 'Not Glug' Lee

TMS320 wrote:
On 06/07/18 14:50, Bruce 'Not Glug' Lee wrote:
As Subject:. I know (since it's marked on the clamp) that 8.9 N-m is the
torque to apply to the seat post on my Surly. What about the clamp that
actually holds the saddle to the seatpost? I'm tempted to give it the
same. Any ideas?

What sort of clamp is it?

~ Steel band with threaded stud and two nuts probably impossible to
overtighten.
~ The washboard type with one large vertical Allen bolt, grab the seat
and firmly pull it in all directions to make sure the two washboards are
properly locked together.
~ Infinitely variable with two smaller vertical Allen bolts, mine has
12Nm stamped on it.

'ang on - it says it on it. 22 Nm. Sorry, I hadn't noticed that.

Old July 6th 18, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim Ericsson

On 06/07/2018 15:22, TMS320 wrote:
On 06/07/18 14:50, Bruce 'Not Glug' Lee wrote:
As Subject:.Â* I know (since it's marked on the clamp) that 8.9 N-m is the
torque to apply to the seat post on my Surly.Â* What about the clamp that
actually holds the saddle to the seatpost?Â* I'm tempted to give it the
same.Â* Any ideas?

What sort of clamp is it?

~ Steel band with threaded stud and two nuts probably impossible to
overtighten.

lol, someone will use a 500mm ratchet drive.

I normally just do it hand tight with a little Allen key (7cm) so I
guess about 7 N-m. I did have my saddle come loose a couple of weeks
ago, but I take a tool kit on rides so not really a problem.