bicycle to control blud pressure

Old March 4th 04, 06:47 PM
Dennis Johnston

Default bicycle to control blud pressure

after work yesterday my bp was 163/122 higher than it has ever bin,, I got
on the rollers and did 10 mi. hart rate up to 168 and over 150 for a lot of
the time. half hour after showering the bp was 122/74 . at 58 yrs old can
some one give me guidance as to the good and bad of this ,how to regulate
the exercise.. this amount of exertion is greater than the 12 mi. commute.

Old March 4th 04, 07:02 PM
S o r n i

Dennis Johnston wrote:
after work yesterday my bp was 163/122 higher than it has ever bin,,
I got on the rollers and did 10 mi. hart rate up to 168 and over 150
for a lot of the time. half hour after showering the bp was 122/74 .
at 58 yrs old can some one give me guidance as to the good and bad of
this ,how to regulate the exercise.. this amount of exertion is
greater than the 12 mi. commute.

Might I suggest talking to your doctor? (And a decent spell-checker
wouldn't kill ya, either.)

High BP is not something to self-treat or ignore IMO.

Bill "blud sucker" S.

Old March 4th 04, 08:25 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:47:31 -0600, "Dennis Johnston"
wrote:

after work yesterday my bp was 163/122 higher than it has ever bin,, I got
on the rollers and did 10 mi. hart rate up to 168 and over 150 for a lot of
the time. half hour after showering the bp was 122/74 . at 58 yrs old can
some one give me guidance as to the good and bad of this ,how to regulate
the exercise.. this amount of exertion is greater than the 12 mi. commute.

The first isn't a real comfortable number, absent a singular cause.
The second is too high, period. I'm not a fan of stress tests (the
bills keep coming for months afterwards, for piddly stuff), but if
your BP is accurate, you could probably use one. Ignoring it is taking
a real chance on a stroke.

That it drops to 122/74 just means that post exercise puts you into a
high normal range. I'd still do a check an hour or two after that.

Caveat: the majority of people who do their own blood pressure with
the old style cuffs don't get accurate reads and don't know when to
retest. Even with the new style, which are more idiot proof by a
bunch, and having a nurse (my wife) do it, it still produces an
occasional bad reading that requires a redo.

Best part of the new cuffs is that with the old, if my wife was
irritated with me, she start at about 300 and let it work down...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Not a doctor, but have heard more lectures about my blood pressure
than any intern hears in medical school. 124/62 isn't good, but you
should have seen the peak.

Old March 4th 04, 11:01 PM
onefred

"S o r n i" wrote in message
Dennis Johnston wrote:
after work yesterday my bp was 163/122 higher than it has ever bin,,
I got on the rollers and did 10 mi. hart rate up to 168 and over 150
for a lot of the time. half hour after showering the bp was 122/74 .
at 58 yrs old can some one give me guidance as to the good and bad of
this ,how to regulate the exercise.. this amount of exertion is
greater than the 12 mi. commute.

Might I suggest talking to your doctor? (And a decent spell-checker
wouldn't kill ya, either.)

LOL! But "bin" and "hart" are spelt correctly!

Dave

Old March 4th 04, 11:44 PM
Luigi de Guzman

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:01:10 -0600, "onefred"
wrote:

"S o r n i" wrote in message
. ..
Dennis Johnston wrote:
after work yesterday my bp was 163/122 higher than it has ever bin,,
I got on the rollers and did 10 mi. hart rate up to 168 and over 150
for a lot of the time. half hour after showering the bp was 122/74 .
at 58 yrs old can some one give me guidance as to the good and bad of
this ,how to regulate the exercise.. this amount of exertion is
greater than the 12 mi. commute.

Might I suggest talking to your doctor? (And a decent spell-checker
wouldn't kill ya, either.)

LOL! But "bin" and "hart" are spelt correctly!

"Just as the hart thirsts for the waters' font,
So doth my soul thirst for Thee, O Lord."
-Psalm 42

-Luigi

Old March 5th 04, 12:32 AM
rb

Right. Dennis, your initial measurement of 163 / 122 is quite high.
The 122/74 levels are within normal range.
To be frank, those high levels will shorten your life! Get to a
doctor pronto and get a thorough checkout. Listen to what he says.
Almost always you can keep on exercising. Sometimes just getting
yourself into a normal weight range can reduce B.P into the normal
range too.
From my experience, I found my drop in B.P. is short-lived, usually
for only 8 hours or less. I still need to take medication.

r.b.

Old March 5th 04, 02:05 AM
Mike Schwab

All blood pressure measurements are based on RESTING BP. How long after
stopping exercise did you take the reading of 163/122? I highly
recommend taking the heart rate about the same time. If the heart rate
is still high, repeat 5 minutes later.

Old March 5th 04, 02:54 AM
Denver C. Fox

I take my blood pressure daily at the same time (early in the am), so I get a
good base.

After exercise (such as lifting weights) it would go up on anyone.

A good nurse would take your blood pressure 3 times in a session, with about
2-3 minutes between each reading, and take an average. It will differ markedly
from one reading to the next.

I have an excel spreadsheet I have developed which averages everything for
automatically.

Beware of Motrin. Some late research from the National Nurses Study (a
longitudinal study over many years of some 80,000 nurses) shows a marked
correlation between high blood pressure and NSAIDS - Ibuproven, for example.

http://www.meridianhealth.com/index....BreakingNews/b
loodpressure.cfm

and many other references. Do a Google.

I could not figure out why my blood pressure was so high after being
controlled. I read the study, stopped the Ibu, and it cam downin days!

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
(Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)

Old March 5th 04, 03:01 AM
Luigi de Guzman

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 15:25:58 -0500, Curtis L. Russell
wrote:

Best part of the new cuffs is that with the old, if my wife was
irritated with me, she start at about 300 and let it work down...

Hey that's how I learned to do it back in high school...!

Sthethoscope, too, & wait for the needle to waggle right?

-Luigi
Jack of all trades
Master of the obvious