Uncomfortable seats

Old April 25th 04, 02:31 AM
tennisgh22

Default Uncomfortable seats

i used to ride a savage, and those seats are worse than a bed of nails.
I'd get rashes and bruises on the insides of my legs when awhile ago,
becuz as a beginner i clenched my thighs together to grab the seat.

unicycle.com posted a little section about saddles in their FAQ:

Which seats specifically would you say are the best? Are certain seats
better for different styles of riding (MUni, touring, etc.)?
We rate saddles according to how far we can ride them before noticing
discomfort.
1. Miyata air saddle: 10-15 miles
2. Semcycle Deluxe air saddle: 5-10 miles
3. Kris Holm: 4-8 miles
4. Viscount: 3-5 miles
5. All others 1-3 miles

hope this helps,
-grant

--
tennisgh22 - Learning to muni

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

Old April 25th 04, 02:47 AM
UniBrier

If you have the older Schwinn/Semcycle Deluxe seat, with the metal base
and the removable vinyl cover, it is really easy to convert it to an air
seat.

See the last several pics in the gallery:
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/bigwheelhubtransplant.

Another wonder brought to you by Duct Tape.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve De Cuckoo

"Only an idiot would try to ride a pointed stick with a wheel on the
bottom."

‘tiped again’ pretty much summing up what we all thought after our
first ½ hour ever of unicyling.

UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old April 25th 04, 05:05 AM
hopeful

I am particuarly fond of an old schwinn saddle that I converted to
airseat, I have miyata airseats as well, but I prefer the schwinn (which
also has a KH handle and bumper bolted on) I also enjoy the viscount
standard for racing (after fixing the bumpers)

--
hopeful - revelling in the glory of 700c

a sawzall...!? why not just use an axe. -- Jagur

Long live the Lotus -- Mojoe
hopeful's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4470

Old April 25th 04, 08:35 AM
Jayne ZA

busnutmedic wrote:
*Do you care to divulge any details about how you made you airseat?
I'd be very interested, as my dad is handy with making things. Feel
free to PM me.*

Hi Bonnie
Thought I'd add this here rather than PMing in case it can help somebody
else.

I got my airseat on the coker (yes I'm the loon learning to ride on one)
as it was second hand and the previous owner did LONG races on it. I'm
not sure what brand the seat is, but the seat cover is removable. When
you take the seat post off the cover can be removed (It basically hooks
on to the bolts). Then (I think) he just took the foam out and replaced
it with a 12 inch inner tube. Anybody here have a guess as to the seat
brand?

As an alternative, and if you don't want to spend too much cash, you can
use the duct tape and inner tube method. Basically partially inflate a
12 inch tube, fold it up so it covers the top of the seat nicely, and
tie it in place with duct tape.

Advantages - cheap and easy and you can change the position of the tube
if you don't like your first attempt.

Disadvantages - you need to change the duct tape every now and again or
else your seat becomes self adhesive. It doesn't help you stay on the
unicycle but it leaves duct tape glue marks on your trousers and makes
your thighs stick together.

Jayne

--
Jayne ZA - Learning to ride on a Coker

Being a statistician means never having to say you're certain

Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878