different riding position

Old December 6th 03, 03:52 AM
dailuggs

Default different riding position

yo, im currently on a hybrid in the mtb riding position but know a racer
with the drop handle bars would suit my needs a lot better, however what
i want to know is how much different is the riding position, because i
dont wanna spend 700 quid on a nice racer only to find out it causes a
twinge in my back and i gotta sell it on for much less, would it be
worth spending 50 on a cheap racer just ot try out for a while and if
all is well then go for the expensive 1?

any adice is much appreciated

P&L

Jim

Old December 6th 03, 09:23 AM
Pete Biggs

dailuggs wrote:
yo, im currently on a hybrid in the mtb riding position but know a
racer with the drop handle bars would suit my needs a lot better,
however what i want to know is how much different is the riding
position, because i dont wanna spend 700 quid on a nice racer only to
find out it causes a twinge in my back and i gotta sell it on for
much less, would it be worth spending 50 on a cheap racer just ot try
out for a while and if all is well then go for the expensive 1?

A 50 quid old "racer" won't give you a fair impression of what decent
modern road bikes are like, nor will a brief test ride on any good bike
either. I suggest risking £300 to £400. Quailty would be respectable for
a first-time road bike - and this would also provide the opportunity to
gradually learn what exactly would suit before spending the large money in
say one or two years time.

Riding position can be pretty stretched-out but it could be changed to a
more upright "touring" or MTB position by swapping the handlebar stem if
it did do your back in/whatever, yet performance and feel would still be
better on-road than what you'd get from an MTB. Make sure you don't get a
frame that's too large or small and you'll be alright.

Practical tip (for bikes with threadless forks): If there is any choice
(and there often won't be unfortunately), try and get bike with forks with
a longer than minimal steerer tube* (longer the better: can always be cut
down later). This allows the stem to be raised/lowered. Don't worry if
you don't get one like this, though, as stems with more rise angle are
available.

* Bit on top of front forks that sticks up through the frame that
handlebar stem clamps to.

~PB

Old December 6th 03, 11:04 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

yo, im currently on a hybrid in the mtb riding position but know a racer
with the drop handle bars would suit my needs a lot better, however what
i want to know is how much different is the riding position, because i
dont wanna spend 700 quid on a nice racer only to find out it causes a
twinge in my back and i gotta sell it on for much less, would it be
worth spending 50 on a cheap racer just ot try out for a while and if
all is well then go for the expensive 1?

any adice is much appreciated

Well, I'd never rode drops until a couple of years ago. It took me an *age* to
get "used to" them, even though the bike was/is comfortable. Now I am "used to"
them, I am fine when cycling with drops. What I would say, as with any bike,
it's vital you have a bike that fits you - so get properly sized. Put it this
way, the last time I rode my hybrid was *months* ago and I use my bikes with
drop handlebars on an almost daily basis. Hopefully that will speak volumes
about which bike I prefer to ride.

It's highly unlikely a fifty squid racer is going to do you any justice and in
all likelihood, it'll be a waste of 50 squid :-)

Get thee saved up of pennies, get thee to a proper bike shop (if in the
vicinity of Norwich I highly recommend 1. Specialized Cycles and 2. Pedal
Revolution - in that order. Try out lots of bikes - don't be rushed into buying
the first you try. Get thee a properly spec'd properly fitted road bike and
you'll have many, many happy miles & years of cycling :-)

Cheers, helen s

p.s. The reason I recommend Specialized first is that my t'other half had a
bike built for him by Specialized and the build quality is *excellent*. The
attention to detail is superb and after-sales customer care cannot be faulted.
Plus other stuff bought from said shop is excellent.

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old December 6th 03, 07:35 PM
Simon Brooke

dailuggs writes:

yo, im currently on a hybrid in the mtb riding position but know a racer
with the drop handle bars would suit my needs a lot better, however what
i want to know is how much different is the riding position, because i
dont wanna spend 700 quid on a nice racer only to find out it causes a
twinge in my back and i gotta sell it on for much less, would it be
worth spending 50 on a cheap racer just ot try out for a while and if
all is well then go for the expensive 1?

any adice is much appreciated

The real issue is the relative height of the bars and the saddle. If
you mount bends at the same relative position as your current straight
bars, then when you hand are on the tops you'll be in the same
position you are now; with you hands on the hoods you'll be stretched
a bit further forward and thus a bit lower, and with you hands on the
bends lower still. But at 'cruising speed' you'll probably find you
ride on the tops a lot anyway, so it will make no difference to your
back. Obviously when you drop down onto the bends to sprint or to deal
with a headwind you'll be more crouched, but if it isn't comfortable
you can vary it by moving around. That, after all, is the good thing
about drops.

.::;===r==\
/ /___||___\____
//==\- ||- | /__\( MS Windows IS an operating environment.
//____\__||___|_// \|: C++ IS an object oriented programming language.
\__/ ~~~~~~~~~ \__/ Citroen 2cv6 IS a four door family saloon.
Old December 8th 03, 11:18 AM
Peter Clinch

dailuggs wrote:
yo, im currently on a hybrid in the mtb riding position but know a racer
with the drop handle bars would suit my needs a lot better

What exactly are your needs? If you want better aerodynamics and aren't
wanting to race other folk on drop bar machines or head out in a chain
gang with same, a recumbent bike (or at least one of a subset of them)
will give you much better aero than a drop bar bike *and* it will
enhance the comfort by an order of magnitude at the same time.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old December 8th 03, 11:45 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message

What exactly are your needs? If you want better aerodynamics and aren't
wanting to race other folk on drop bar machines or head out in a chain
gang with same, a recumbent bike (or at least one of a subset of them)
will give you much better aero than a drop bar bike *and* it will
enhance the comfort by an order of magnitude at the same time.

As soon as I saw the subject I thought.... but then I held back. Now,
though, the subject is broached!

Jim "dailuggs" - the dark side is calling! Wind resistance is futile!

--
Guy
===

http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Old December 8th 03, 04:44 PM
Dave Kahn

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message ...
"Peter Clinch" wrote in message

What exactly are your needs? If you want better aerodynamics and aren't
wanting to race other folk on drop bar machines or head out in a chain
gang with same, a recumbent bike (or at least one of a subset of them)
will give you much better aero than a drop bar bike *and* it will
enhance the comfort by an order of magnitude at the same time.

As soon as I saw the subject I thought.... but then I held back. Now,
though, the subject is broached!

Jim "dailuggs" - the dark side is calling! Wind resistance is futile!

On the other hand he could try fitting some clip on tri-bars to his
current bike. That'll get him more forward and give a more aero
position than at present.

--
Dave...
Old December 8th 03, 06:18 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Dave Kahn" wrote in message
om...

Jim "dailuggs" - the dark side is calling! Wind resistance is futile!

On the other hand he could try fitting some clip on tri-bars to his
current bike. That'll get him more forward and give a more aero
position than at present.

Still be sitting with his arse in the air instead of reclining on a nice
comfy seat, though ;-)

--
Guy
===

http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Distance riding Rockey Unicycling 3 March 18th 04 06:25 AM
MUni riding – Eastern Kentucky - weekend of April 23-25 billham Unicycling 5 January 26th 04 04:45 AM
Road riding tips/advice onewheeldave Unicycling 26 January 1st 04 12:33 PM