Strange problem with cassette lock-ring

Old January 27th 10, 02:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
damc2000

Default Strange problem with cassette lock-ring

Got a problem with my cassette that's got me stumped. On tightening the
cassette lock-ring the freehub itself becomes harder and harder to spin.
I can only run the bike if the lockring is at a very low torque but this
is hardly satisfactory.

I've just fitted a new hub axle and cones etc but I'm pretty sure it is
fitted properly and is not what is actually over-tightening.

The freehub is relatively new and runs okay until the cassette is
fitted. I wanted to get some advice before investing in a new freehub body.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony.

Old January 27th 10, 03:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"damc2000" wrote in message

Got a problem with my cassette that's got me stumped. On tightening the
cassette lock-ring the freehub itself becomes harder and harder to spin. I
can only run the bike if the lockring is at a very low torque but this is
hardly satisfactory.

I've just fitted a new hub axle and cones etc but I'm pretty sure it is
fitted properly and is not what is actually over-tightening.

Tee hee. I wonder if it's the ever so slight stretch the lockring will be
applying to the freehub body. No, never happened to me :-)

Have you adjusted the cones correctly, such that when the QR is tightened,
the axle still runs freely? It needs to be slightly loose, since the axle
compresses.

Or is it the freehub bearings rather than the main axle ones? In which case,
what happens if you put the lock ring on without a cassette on it? That'll
tell you if it's something the lock ring is pressing on, or the tension
opposing the compression of the cassette.

Is the freehub body cracked anywhere?

Old January 27th 10, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Happi Monday[_3_]

On 27/01/2010 02:13, damc2000 wrote:

I've just fitted a new hub axle and cones etc but I'm pretty sure it is
fitted properly

I doubt it! Hope you find the answer and let us know.

Old January 28th 10, 02:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
damc2000

Tee hee. I wonder if it's the ever so slight stretch the lockring will be
applying to the freehub body. No, never happened to me :-)

Have you adjusted the cones correctly, such that when the QR is tightened,
the axle still runs freely? It needs to be slightly loose, since the axle
compresses.

Or is it the freehub bearings rather than the main axle ones? In which case,
what happens if you put the lock ring on without a cassette on it? That'll
tell you if it's something the lock ring is pressing on, or the tension
opposing the compression of the cassette.

Thanks for tip on checking lockring without cassette on. The lock-ring
was just pressing on the dust cap on the hub when fully screwed on. I'm
not sure why it was doing that but I took everything apart, cleaned it
up, put it together again and it now seems to be working okay.

Cheers,

Anthony.
Old January 28th 10, 03:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"damc2000" wrote in message

[...]

Yay! And ta for coming back and telling us what happened.

Lock ring for 9-sp Campy hub pb in sdca Techniques 2 November 26th 09 01:29 PM
Campy lock Ring Jeff Techniques 1 April 3rd 08 07:00 AM
Campy lock Ring Jeff Techniques 1 April 3rd 08 03:47 AM
Campagnolo Record titanium 10 speed cassette 12 - 21 with lock ring [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 9th 08 09:30 PM
NEW - Shimano Ultegra 10 speed cassette with lock ring [email protected] Marketplace 0 April 1st 06 02:12 AM