How many astronomers in this news group?

Old January 13th 05, 06:07 AM
Marty Wallace

Default How many astronomers in this news group?

We seem to have a few star gazers in this newsgroup. Put your hands up if
you watch the skies. I'm not terribly interested but a friend of mine did
build a huge set of binoculars.
http://deepsky.cia.com.au/binoculars/clive/Pages/1.html

Marty

Old January 13th 05, 06:17 AM
Tamyka Bell

Marty Wallace wrote:

We seem to have a few star gazers in this newsgroup. Put your hands up if
you watch the skies. I'm not terribly interested but a friend of mine did
build a huge set of binoculars.
http://deepsky.cia.com.au/binoculars/clive/Pages/1.html

Marty

Astronomy by association?

Old January 13th 05, 06:42 AM
suzyj

Marty Wallace wrote:

Put your hands up if you watch the skies.

I'm an engineer, not an astronomer, but I do work with them, and hav
built a telescope, including grinding, polishing, and figuring th
mirror.

Indeed, it could be said that I make telescopes for a living, excep
the telescopes I make bits for are a little bigger than what you migh
expect.

Regards,

Suz

--
suzyj

Old January 13th 05, 06:49 AM
flyingdutch

Marty Wallace Wrote:
We seem to have a few star gazers in this newsgroup. Put your hands u
if
you watch the skies. I'm not terribly interested but a friend of min
did
build a huge set of binoculars.
http://deepsky.cia.com.au/binoculars/clive/Pages/1.html

Marty

do you wanna find out how many it takes to change a lightbulb o
summat? :

--
flyingdutch

Old January 13th 05, 06:52 AM
suzyj

Flyingdutch wrote:

do you wanna find out how many it takes to change a lightbulb o

summat?

Swinburne are currently doing simulations on the supercomputer to wor
out just that. It's a really difficult question, and it may take year
to answer, but this is important science!

Regards,

Suzy (hiding from Tim now

--
suzyj

Old January 13th 05, 07:04 AM
Marty Wallace

"suzyj" wrote in message

Flyingdutch wrote:

do you wanna find out how many it takes to change a lightbulb or

summat?

Swinburne are currently doing simulations on the supercomputer to work
out just that. It's a really difficult question, and it may take years
to answer, but this is important science!

Regards,

Suzy (hiding from Tim now)

--
suzyj

My friend Clive (who I mentioned in my earlier posting) used to knock out
all of the local streetlights with his ging, (is that how you spell it?).
Only way to get nice dark viewing area. I think he views from more isolated
areas now.

Marty

Old January 13th 05, 08:16 AM
hippy

"Marty Wallace"
We seem to have a few star gazers in this newsgroup. Put your hands up if
you watch the skies. I'm not terribly interested but a friend of mine did
build a huge set of binoculars.
http://deepsky.cia.com.au/binoculars/clive/Pages/1.html

I like watching shooting stars and satellites passing by
overhead, while in the bush (too much backlight in Melb
to see many). I don't think I qualify as an astronomer
though.. )

hippy

Old January 13th 05, 08:17 AM
hippy

"Marty Wallace"
My friend Clive (who I mentioned in my earlier posting) used to knock out
all of the local streetlights with his ging, (is that how you spell it?).
Only way to get nice dark viewing area. I think he views from more

isolated
areas now.

Prison?

What's a "ging"?

You can also kick the access panels on some street
lights to knock them out for 10mins or so. Someone
told me once anyway ;-)

hippy

Old January 13th 05, 08:28 AM
Tamyka Bell

hippy wrote:

"Marty Wallace"
My friend Clive (who I mentioned in my earlier posting) used to knock out
all of the local streetlights with his ging, (is that how you spell it?).
Only way to get nice dark viewing area. I think he views from more

isolated
areas now.

Prison?

What's a "ging"?

You can also kick the access panels on some street
lights to knock them out for 10mins or so. Someone
told me once anyway ;-)

hippy

Hey, I remember doing that when I was just a wee li'l lass.
Old January 13th 05, 08:36 AM
TimC

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 at 05:07 GMT, Marty Wallace (aka Bruce)
We seem to have a few star gazers in this newsgroup. Put your hands up if
you watch the skies. I'm not terribly interested but a friend of mine did
build a huge set of binoculars.
http://deepsky.cia.com.au/binoculars/clive/Pages/1.html

Dude!

I miss my amateur astronomy days. I actually got to look through
telescopes. With my eyes!

Hunting NGC 891 through a celestron 8" before heading on over to do
the same on the 20" dobsonian at the Queensland astrofest was
particularly fun.

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the software. --me