road tyres

Old July 26th 04, 09:11 PM
geepeetee

Default road tyres

Hi

Hope i am in the right place for this. I dont seem to have much luck with
tyres on my mtb. I use the bike to commute the 15 mile round trip to work.
The problem is the tyres (mainly the back one but i have had problems with
both) loose their shape and develop a wobble.

My first tyres were from halfords and lasted about a year so i thought i
would pay a bit more and got a pair of Schwalbe road tyres. These were
probably the best lasting about 18 months before the backone gave up with
the same problem (the front one is still ok). I replaced this with an
unbranded one (but recommended by the shop) and has developed the same
problem after a couple of months. I have tried reseating the tyres and also
the rims for rough bits but all seams fine.

Can anyone recommend some good tyres (26 x 1.5, i am in the uk) or am i
expecting too much from them.

thanks

Gary

Old July 27th 04, 04:10 PM
mark

"geepeetee" wrote...
Hi

..
The problem is the tyres (mainly the back one but i have had problems with
both) loose their shape and develop a wobble.

Gary

Are you sure it's not your rims that are giving you trouble? What you
describe sounds like spokes working loose or breaking, creating an out of
true wheel. Or is the bead of the tire actually trying to unseat itself from
the rim?
--
mark

Old July 27th 04, 07:39 PM
Neil Cherry

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:10:11 GMT, mark wrote:

"geepeetee" wrote...
Hi

.
The problem is the tyres (mainly the back one but i have had problems with
both) loose their shape and develop a wobble.

Gary

Are you sure it's not your rims that are giving you trouble? What you
describe sounds like spokes working loose or breaking, creating an out of
true wheel. Or is the bead of the tire actually trying to unseat itself from
the rim?

I kind of thought that too but he said he went to his LBS. I've seen
soemthing like what, I think, he's describing on set of Victorria
tires I had. I rode them for about 800 miles when the problem
developed. then looking the the tire from the front it looks like the
tread shifted a 1/4 of an inch. I've since change to Conti Super Sport
as they seem to last a bit longer then other tires (no sidewall
damage).

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Old July 28th 04, 10:41 AM
Quandon

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:11:33 +0100, "geepeetee"
wrote:

[...]

Are you sure your tyres are correctly inflated?

I ruined a back tyre because my pressure guage was faulty and they were
constantly overinflated.

Road or Sidewalk? K-Man General 74 June 19th 04 12:26 AM
Big Sur mcmiller General 2 May 15th 04 12:04 AM
Need to go faster / New to road bikes Ken General 25 September 11th 03 03:59 PM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp General 116 August 18th 03 11:44 PM