Peck order

Old March 1st 04, 02:10 AM
amirm

Default Peck order

Went on a 120 km ride yesterday. The route was mostly on country road
in ACT. It was pretty quiet given it was Sunday morning. Although i
started as a bunch ride, very soon I found myself riding with only on
fellow rider. So we rode mostly two abreast squeezing to left as muc
as possible

I faced three really close calls by a Harly rider and her girlfriend,
sport motorbiker and a huge Patrol towing a huge horse trailer. Al
meant that they were not happy with sharing the road. Behaviours of al
three were equally rude. It's really interesting when morons conside
themselves as smart! More interesting was the two motorbike riders
action as they had plenty of room, and cyclists were posed n
inconvenience to them

Now the question is: When riding, we seem to be at the bottom of th
peck order. How many of us exert their status when not riding

I personally don't let morons at the wheels get away while I'm driving
But this seems to ruin my driving pleasure, and so I tend not to driv
recently. This way, I sit again at the bottom of the peck order. No
that's my conundrum. What's yours

-

Old March 1st 04, 02:31 AM
Jock

I don't understand your post or see your point.
Jock
.. .

Old March 1st 04, 02:50 AM
Bikesoiler

amirm wrote:
snip So we rode mostly two abreast squeezing to left as much as
possible.
I faced three really close calls by a Harly rider and her girlfriend, a
sport motorbiker and a huge Patrol towing a huge horse trailer. All
meant that they were not happy with sharing the road. Behaviours of all
three were equally rude. It's really interesting when morons consider
themselves as smart! More interesting was the two motorbike riders'
action as they had plenty of room, and cyclists were posed no
inconvenience to them.
Now the question is: When riding, we seem to be at the bottom of the
peck order. How many of us exert their status when not riding?
I personally don't let morons at the wheels get away while I'm driving.
But this seems to ruin my driving pleasure, and so I tend not to drive
recently. This way, I sit again at the bottom of the peck order. Now
that's my conundrum. What's yours?

Hmmm.. I don't think I exert any status while driving. I like to driv
so that my part in traffic has no negative effect on others, ie kee
left unless overtaking, care when merging etc. Lead by example. Pitt
some drivers just don't get it

Like yesterday, Sunday 29th. Rode out to Kinglake. Twice had abuse
threats from cars. What is it with St Andrews? 2 white holdens, P plate
& 3 young male occupants. The second car even locked it's brakes i
front of me while the passenger hung out the window yelling abuse
Neither car seemed keen to stop & 'discuss' the issue

-

Old March 1st 04, 02:50 AM
flyingdutch

Always amuses me how friends at a BBQ will complain how trucks harras
and force them off the road

"Just like riding a bike when youre driving a car". I said on th
weekend. "oh, but I dont do that", she said

"Her kid pipes up, "Yes you do mum. Whatabout that man you almost hi
yesterday"

"Oh, god Im sorry" she said "dont be sorry to me, just try to avoi
having to apologise to that guy's family next time"

Now, that's a BBQ-stopper!!

-

Old March 1st 04, 03:50 AM
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 01 Mar 2004 01:10:00 GMT
amirm wrote:

Now the question is: When riding, we seem to be at the bottom of the
peck order. How many of us exert their status when not riding?

World;'s full of idiots. Question is... how many people did the right
thing? If every single vehicle that passed you did the wrong thing,
then re-appraise how you were riding...

There will always be people who reckon they are more important than you
are, it's life.

If they endanger you, then report them. Doubt the cops will care much
but if enough do it, and there are multiple reports, then who knows?

Zebee
Old March 1st 04, 07:37 AM
D&M Johnston

I'll bet she was driving either a Volvo (first car that comes to mind) , or
a 4WD (usual senario)!!

DJ
"flyingdutch" wrote in message
news
Always amuses me how friends at a BBQ will complain how trucks harrass
and force them off the road.

"Just like riding a bike when youre driving a car". I said on the
weekend. "oh, but I dont do that", she said.

"Her kid pipes up, "Yes you do mum. Whatabout that man you almost hit
yesterday".

"Oh, god Im sorry" she said "dont be sorry to me, just try to avoid

Old March 1st 04, 07:56 AM
NickZX6R

amirm wrote:
[...]

Well I ride a roadie and an MTB and a motorcycle, and occasionally
I drive a car. Quite often I walk.

The only pecking order is non_morons-morons.

Except that the morons are too thick to see it

--
Nick

Old March 1st 04, 09:10 AM
Andrew Swan

Bikesoiler wrote:
Hmmm.. I don't think I exert any status while driving. I like to drive
so that my part in traffic has no negative effect on others, ie keep
left unless overtaking, care when merging etc. Lead by example. Pitty
some drivers just don't get it.

As my psychologist g/f said recently, "there's no point modelling good
behaviour to idiots". For modelling to work, the person being modelled
to has to have some level of intrinsic respect or admiration for the one
doing the modelling.

&roo

Old March 1st 04, 01:30 PM
Spider1977

amirm wrote:
I personally don't let morons at the wheels get away while I'm driving.

What does that mean? Do you chase them and abuse them? What doe
that achieve

"Don't argue with fools, they have more experience.

-

Old March 3rd 04, 05:50 AM
stucey

Spider1977 wrote:
"Don't argue with fools, they have more experience."

More experience at what? Argueing?;

I think the saying is

"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level an
beat you with experience

But hey

-