Trailer Recommendation

Old November 12th 06, 02:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Default Trailer Recommendation

Vincent Patrick wrote:

The Monoporter is meant to carry a maximum of 25 kg.

Then way over priced and easily to overload if it really has an 80 litre
bag. I doubt if I could pack that fluffy.
Old November 12th 06, 03:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Skewer

Peter Signorini wrote:
"Murray R. Van Luyn" wrote:

snipped

Maybe I should have another look at panniers, and just accept the added
risk of broken spokes and axles that my stature seems to make inevitable
in any case.

Pssst! Four panniers and a racktop bag will carry more gear than a BOB bag,
and the bike handling on steep, rough or slippery surfaces will be far
better. As for broken gear - wheels built of 36 spokes (14g) should cope
with most weights and terrain bumps. But then I'm a lightweight so it's
difficult to compare.

Of course, you could just get an xtracycle...

www.xtracycle.com

Rated to 95 kg of load
Multiple configurations (long, wide, flat, etc).
The weight can easily be distributed down low for better handling.
No bump steering from the a trailer.
Ample heel clearance to load unlike some pannier setups.
More rigid design reduces pannier rack wobble

--
Pete.B
Old November 12th 06, 03:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

"Terryc" wrote:

Vincent Patrick wrote:

The Monoporter is meant to carry a maximum of 25 kg.

Then way over priced and easily to overload if it really has an 80 litre
bag. I doubt if I could pack that fluffy.

Hmmm. Litres and kgs are not eqivalent - unless you are carrying water.

With my pannier-equipped bike I have:

Bikepacker rear - 40L
Sportpacker front - 30L
Packsack racktop gear bag - 35L
Handlebar bag - 10L

Total load capacity - 125L [1]

But even fully loaded to the gunwhales I'd never carry much more than 35kg.
Pushing the bike on any steep grades (cycling or walking) just becomes
intolerably difficult.

[1] As I've posted elsewhere, a fully kitted out touring rig can carry
considerably more than a trailer. Trailers, be it a BOB, BOB-clone or
Monoporter are really only useful for overnight lightweight MTB trail tours,
or as a supplementary load carrier for a tour that demands lots of
water/food. I've used mine as extra carrying space for tandem touring.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old November 12th 06, 03:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

"Peter Signorini" wrote:

Bikepacker rear - 40L
Sportpacker front - 30L
Packsack racktop gear bag - 35L
Handlebar bag - 10L

Total load capacity - 125L [1]

Ooops! That should be 115L of course.

D'oh!!

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old November 12th 06, 03:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Murray R. Van Luyn

Hi Friday,

Hmm, that's the 2nd report I've heard about the Bob coming undone. A trailer
breakdown in the bush wouldn't be life threatening, but it sure could get
expensive dumping everything and having to pedal off with just the water.

Maybe I should have another look at panniers, and just accept the added risk
of broken spokes and axles that my stature seems to make inevitable in any
case.

Regards,
Murray R. Van Luyn.

"Friday" wrote in message
Murray R. Van Luyn wrote:
Hi David,

Thanks very much for your post. I'd seen a few comments about the Bob and
it's coupling issues. I believe that it can lose cotter pins, come undone
and result in a bent something-or-other. I think you may have sold me on
the clone if this isn't going to be an issue for it.

Thanks also for the including the origin of your trailer. I didn't think
that I was going to get one in WA, but it seems that if I have a bit of a
ring around, then I might save on the $110 freight that one supplier at
least quoted me.

I wonder how the clone is going to cope with rough forrest trails, as I
expect the Munda Biddi will be?

Regards,
Murray R. Van Luyn.

"davidm" wrote in message

Soooo much cheaper than a BoB. Tri-Sled http://www.trisled.com.au/
also sell them (I spoke to Ian from flyingfurniture yesterday and he

I've used the clone and the real thing, and also a 2 wheeler trailer. I
now own the clone. I liked the coupling of the clone better than the
original BOB whihc is ery "fussy" for my liking.

For touring, you'll find it's great. When we tour I carry a 3 person
tent, 10L of water, and two sets of sleeping bags and mattresses, a tarp
and food.. My wife carries clothes etc in her panniers. The trailer did
fine.

I got mine for cheap, maybe $200 (?) from Mercer Cycles in Fremantle.
Can't recall the exact amount, but much cheaper than a BOB.

Cheers
David M

I've seen one person on the Mundabidd with a Bob and I did notice that the
mesh on the bottom had broken away and had been resecured with cable ties.

Friday

Old November 12th 06, 08:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
beerwolf

"Peter Signorini" wrote in
:

.... snip

[1] As I've posted elsewhere, a fully kitted out touring rig can carry
considerably more than a trailer. Trailers, be it a BOB, BOB-clone or
Monoporter are really only useful for overnight lightweight MTB trail
tours, or as a supplementary load carrier for a tour that demands lots
of water/food. I've used mine as extra carrying space for tandem
touring.

In the context of the OP's question (MTB touring), I agree. However I
think a trailer will be superior to panniers for carrying heavy bulky
objects that are not easily broken down. For example, a 35 litre bag of
cat litter and a large bag of cat biscuits. I had to take the car
yesterday, on a 10 km round trip to get same, and I think the trip would
have been faster with a trailer-equipped bicycle - even allowing for the
load on the return journey. It would certainly have been more enjoyable.

I liked the look of the BOB clone at flying furniture, mentioned in an
earlier post. I can definitely see one of these in my future.

--
beerwolf
(To reply by email, remove numbers from my address)
Old November 12th 06, 09:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 12 Nov 2006 08:07:00 -0000
beerwolf wrote:

I liked the look of the BOB clone at flying furniture, mentioned in an
earlier post. I can definitely see one of these in my future.

Or you can buy one of Moz's utility trailers, see www.mozbike.com

Pick up from Petersham.

Zebee
Old November 12th 06, 10:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Vincent Patrick

Skewer wrote:

Peter Signorini wrote:
"Murray R. Van Luyn" wrote:

[...]

Nice idea, but I wonder how the long wheelbase would go on rough trails,
over rocks, etc.

Cheers,

Vince

Old November 12th 06, 02:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Peter Signorini wrote:

Hmmm. Litres and kgs are not eqivalent - unless you are carrying water.

Well, given my packing mechanism (both feet and both handles in pressure
mode, I have to be careful {:-).

Total load capacity - 125L [1]

I have no idea what my home made set's capacity is, but that has never
stopped me adding a wheat bag or two [1] {:-).

But even fully loaded to the gunwhales I'd never carry much more than 35kg.
Pushing the bike on any steep grades (cycling or walking) just becomes
intolerably difficult.

hmm, will have to see what I've measured over the years.

[1] As I've posted elsewhere, a fully kitted out touring rig can carry
considerably more than a trailer.

Agreed.

I mainly play with them for shopping and hard rubbish scrounging trips.

or as a supplementary load carrier for a tour that demands lots of
water/food.

They do have the advantage that the weight is low down, which is useful
for batteries, bulk water, etc (yep, done that)

[1] we took an enormous load of supplies out of Adelaide for three
months in NT in the 70s (via train and bus {:-).
Old November 12th 06, 02:11 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

beerwolf wrote:

In the context of the OP's question (MTB touring), I agree. However I
think a trailer will be superior to panniers for carrying heavy bulky
objects that are not easily broken down. For example, a 35 litre bag of
cat litter and a large bag of cat biscuits. I had to take the car
yesterday, on a 10 km round trip to get same, and I think the trip would
have been faster with a trailer-equipped bicycle - even allowing for the
load on the return journey. It would certainly have been more enjoyable.

Warning, this IMHO would be an exceptional trailer. It would have to be
rock solid and the coupling would have to be the same. the problem isn't
getting started or steering, the problem is bumps and what happens when
your load suddenly drops an inch crossing the driveway, etc. Harmonics
can be deadly.

LBS recommendation tony UK 5 October 21st 06 03:52 PM
LBS Recommendation in So. Cal. Les Techniques 4 November 30th 04 06:06 PM
ATB recommendation please. Mark UK 8 May 29th 04 01:07 PM
MTB recommendation Chris Walters UK 2 January 7th 04 11:04 AM