Old Spinergy 4 blade carbon wheels

Old October 21st 03, 02:53 AM
Scott Mann

Default Old Spinergy 4 blade carbon wheels

Someone recently gave me a set of old (not sure how old) Spinergy 4 blade
carbon wheels. I thought it was a real nice gift at the time, but after
reading some random websites I'm starting to think twice about using them.
How concerned should I be about carbon spoke failure? I do value my health
and I'm big into self-preservation.

Not knowing what to do with them, I'm thinking about building a liquor
cabinet and bolting them on so I can wheel it from room to room.

Scott

Old October 21st 03, 03:24 AM
S. Anderson

"Scott Mann" wrote in message
Someone recently gave me a set of old (not sure how old) Spinergy 4 blade
carbon wheels. I thought it was a real nice gift at the time, but after
reading some random websites I'm starting to think twice about using them.
How concerned should I be about carbon spoke failure? I do value my

health
and I'm big into self-preservation.

Not knowing what to do with them, I'm thinking about building a liquor
cabinet and bolting them on so I can wheel it from room to room.

Scott

Good call. They had some pretty public failures, and the failure mode is
catastrophic, unlike the more conventional spoked wheel design. Personally,
I wouldn't use them. Give them back to your "friend"! ;-)

Cheers,

Scott..

Old October 21st 03, 05:03 AM
Doug

Better yet, give them to me.

They are likely fine!

I used them on the road and track; I have a pair on an old MTB;and I thought
highly enough of them to use them on my cross bike as well. I've never had
a problem, and I go over 190lbs. Look them over well, make sure there are
no delaminations. Then go ride. They are fairly bombproof, and the
failure rate is VERY overstated.

Old October 21st 03, 05:42 AM
Mike S.

"Scott Mann" wrote in message
Someone recently gave me a set of old (not sure how old) Spinergy 4 blade
carbon wheels. I thought it was a real nice gift at the time, but after
reading some random websites I'm starting to think twice about using them.
How concerned should I be about carbon spoke failure? I do value my

health
and I'm big into self-preservation.

Not knowing what to do with them, I'm thinking about building a liquor
cabinet and bolting them on so I can wheel it from room to room.

Scott

I've heard some of the same horror stories that you have. Having said that,
I have a friend that's a local Cat1 who's still racing on them and loves
them.

I weigh enough that I don't completely trust them, so I stay away.

Mike

Old October 21st 03, 09:52 AM
Ronald

Someone recently gave me a set of old (not sure how old) Spinergy 4 blade
carbon wheels. I thought it was a real nice gift at the time, but after
reading some random websites I'm starting to think twice about using them.
How concerned should I be about carbon spoke failure? I do value my

health
and I'm big into self-preservation.

You propably already read this one: http://home.interlynx.net/~pjdu/
I wouldn't use them for a frontwheel, when something happens to these wheels
(and apparently it does) the resulting injuries are much more serious than
with defects in spoked wheels.

Old October 21st 03, 11:06 AM
Bruce

I have a front wheel with at least 60,000 miles on it with zero problems.
Besides wiping with a rag to clean off dirt I replaced the bearings once.
The only failures I've had were one rear wheel cassette froze up after
30,000 miles and the rest were when other riders put their pedals in a
spoke. But after all the crashes with one to three spokes broke off the
wheel was still ridable, although not steady in corners. They were good
enough to hobble back to the finish line.

So use them.

-Bruce

Old October 21st 03, 01:46 PM
ajames54

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:53:21 -0400, "Scott Mann"
wrote:

Someone recently gave me a set of old (not sure how old) Spinergy 4 blade
carbon wheels. I thought it was a real nice gift at the time, but after
reading some random websites I'm starting to think twice about using them.
How concerned should I be about carbon spoke failure? I do value my health
and I'm big into self-preservation.

Not knowing what to do with them, I'm thinking about building a liquor
cabinet and bolting them on so I can wheel it from room to room.

Scott

It pretty much depends on which version ... the ones with the
stiffeners on the back sides of the spoke were better than the
original versions...that being said they are also old and the
stories are often true. I would be comfortable using them as
baisic training wheels, but would not want to sprint on them.

The lateral loads that would be inherent in a rolling liquor
cabinet would make these wheels inappropriate for that
application.
Old October 21st 03, 02:18 PM
Squidvark

ajames54 wrote:

It pretty much depends on which version ... the ones with the
stiffeners on the back sides of the spoke were better than the
original versions...that being said they are also old and the
stories are often true. I would be comfortable using them as
baisic training wheels, but would not want to sprint on them.

Even using them for training has its limitations. I tried riding them
on rollers once and the ride was simply too bouncy. I'm not exactly
sure why but it was probably related to the flimsy aspect of the
wheels.
Old October 21st 03, 03:23 PM
Robert Chambers

"Scott Mann" wrote in message
Someone recently gave me a set of old (not sure how old) Spinergy 4 blade
carbon wheels. I thought it was a real nice gift at the time, but after
reading some random websites I'm starting to think twice about using them.
How concerned should I be about carbon spoke failure? I do value my

health
and I'm big into self-preservation.

Not knowing what to do with them, I'm thinking about building a liquor
cabinet and bolting them on so I can wheel it from room to room.

Scott

Why would you want to put your liquor at risk like that?

Bob C.

Old October 21st 03, 03:25 PM
Robert Chambers

"Squidvark" wrote in message
ajames54 wrote:

It pretty much depends on which version ... the ones with the
stiffeners on the back sides of the spoke were better than the
original versions...that being said they are also old and the
stories are often true. I would be comfortable using them as
baisic training wheels, but would not want to sprint on them.

Even using them for training has its limitations. I tried riding them
on rollers once and the ride was simply too bouncy. I'm not exactly
sure why but it was probably related to the flimsy aspect of the
wheels.

I've ridden my Spinergy wheels on the rollers a time or two, also. It's a
strange ride ... but awesomely fast. Those blades really cut the air and my
average speed was significantly above what I usually have with my spoked
wheels. But yes ... as each spoke reaches the roller, there's a distinct
bump.

Bob C.