Many more cycling casualties in 2009

Old February 24th 10, 06:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
delboy

Default Many more cycling casualties in 2009

See:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/no...t-of-transport

It cites inexperienced (and presumably untrained) cyclists taking to
the road, and risky behaviour such as red traffic light jumping as
being the main reasons for this. Surprise, surprise!!!!

Apparently the average cyclist in Denmark rides over 10 times further
than his or her British peer every year but runs only 20% of the risk
of being killed.

DC

Old February 24th 10, 07:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
FrengaX

On Feb 24, 6:58*am, delboy wrote:
See:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/no...-department-of...

It cites inexperienced (and presumably untrained) cyclists taking to
the road, and risky behaviour such as red traffic light jumping as
being the main reasons for this. Surprise, surprise!!!!

On the other hand, you could just be trolling in the same way as Doug
does, by which I mean the misleading editorialising of the original
article, omitting the qualifiying word "could". The reasons for the
increase are pure speculation on both sides.
Old February 24th 10, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
webreader

On Feb 24, 6:58*am, delboy wrote:
See:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/no...-department-of...

It cites inexperienced (and presumably untrained) cyclists taking to
the road, and risky behaviour such as red traffic light jumping as
being the main reasons for this. Surprise, surprise!!!!

Apparently the average cyclist in Denmark rides over 10 times further
than his or her British peer every year but runs only 20% of the risk
of being killed.

DC

Except that the article does not say what you reported does it.
?

WSR
Old February 24th 10, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
delboy

On 24 Feb, 07:36, webreader wrote:
On Feb 24, 6:58*am, delboy wrote:

See:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/no...-department-of...

It cites inexperienced (and presumably untrained) cyclists taking to
the road, and risky behaviour such as red traffic light jumping as
being the main reasons for this. Surprise, surprise!!!!

Apparently the average cyclist in Denmark rides over 10 times further
than his or her British peer every year but runs only 20% of the risk
of being killed.

DC

Except that the article does not say what you reported does it.
?

WSR

It did when I read it!

DC
Old February 24th 10, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 24 Feb, 06:58, delboy wrote:
See:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/no...-department-of...

It cites inexperienced (and presumably untrained) cyclists taking to
the road, and risky behaviour such as red traffic light jumping as
being the main reasons for this. Surprise, surprise!!!!

Well they are not going to blame the actual killers are they when they
are allowed to get away with blaming the vulnerable victims.

Apparently the average cyclist in Denmark rides over 10 times further
than his or her British peer every year but runs only 20% of the risk
of being killed.

Fewer and safer drivers obviously.

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net

Old February 24th 10, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
delboy

On 24 Feb, 07:50, Doug wrote:
On 24 Feb, 06:58, delboy wrote: See:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/no...-department-of...

It cites inexperienced (and presumably untrained) cyclists taking to
the road, and risky behaviour such as red traffic light jumping as
being the main reasons for this. Surprise, surprise!!!!

Well they are not going to blame the actual killers are they when they
are allowed to get away with blaming the vulnerable victims.

Apparently the average cyclist in Denmark rides over 10 times further
than his or her British peer every year but runs only 20% of the risk
of being killed.

Fewer and safer drivers obviously.

--
UK Radical Campaignswww.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Please give it a rest Doug. In general, being a cyclist myself, I do
my best to avoid running into cyclists when I am driving my car,
however idiotically they behave. However if I get you in my gunsights
I might make an exception! Whereabouts do live?

DC
Old February 24th 10, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 24 Feb, 08:28, delboy wrote:
On 24 Feb, 07:50, Doug wrote:

[...]

Don't try to pretend you are a real cyclist while vilifying cyclists
here from your motorist's POV.

The only reason you don't run into cyclists is the slight risk that
you might be punished for doing so and maybe have your insurance
premiums bumped up if you can't get away with the usual victim
blaming.

Old February 24th 10, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
delboy

On 24 Feb, 08:33, Doug wrote:
On 24 Feb, 08:28, delboy wrote:

On 24 Feb, 07:50, Doug wrote:

[...]

A driving licence is a licence to kill.- Hide quoted text -

As I said before, I look at it from both points of view. Drivers have
to be trained, licenced and pass a proficiency test before they are
are allowed to drive a car without supervision. Cyclists don't, and it
often shows.

I took and passed a cycling proficiency course when I was at school
back in the early 1960s when it was considered the normal thing to do.
Nowadays any troll can buy a bike from Halfords, or off Ebay, and go
straight out and ride it on the road, without needing to acquire any
skills or knowledge of the rules of the road. That is where the
problem lies IMHO.

DC.
Old February 24th 10, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BrianW[_2_]

On 24 Feb, 08:28, delboy wrote:
On 24 Feb, 07:50, Doug wrote:

[...]

The very end of this article may provide you with some assistance:

http://www.jupiter-ace.co.uk/hardware_ace_inteface.html
Old February 24th 10, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 23:36:30 -0800 (PST), webreader
wrote:

On Feb 24, 6:58*am, delboy wrote:
See:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/no...-department-of...

It cites inexperienced (and presumably untrained) cyclists taking to
the road, and risky behaviour such as red traffic light jumping as
being the main reasons for this. Surprise, surprise!!!!

The number of cyclists killed or seriously hurt on Britain's roads
rose sharply this spring, a phenomenon cycling campaigners warn could
be caused in part by a rush of inexperienced riders taking to the
streets, or even an increase in risky cycling behaviour such as
red-light jumping.

Apparently the average cyclist in Denmark rides over 10 times further
than his or her British peer every year but runs only 20% of the risk
of being killed.

the average cyclist in Denmark rides over 10 times further than his or
her British peer every year but runs only 20% of the risk of being
killed.

DC

Except that the article does not say what you reported does it.
?

WSR

Care to expand as to where the errors are?