rack mount

Old May 29th 11, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RichD

Default rack mount

I recently purchased a street bike, Schwinn,
standard drop handlebar type.

I want to mount a rack on the rear, but there are
no through holes on the frame. I've never seen
this before.

Are there any kits with frame adapters or
something, to facilitate a rack?

--
Rich
Old May 29th 11, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 28, 7:16*pm, RichD wrote:
I recently purchased a street bike, Schwinn,
standard drop handlebar type.

I want to mount a rack on the rear, but there are
no through holes on the frame. *I've never seen
this before.

Are there any kits with frame adapters or
something, to facilitate a rack?

Use P-clamps. a lot of basic racks, like the Planet Bike Eco come with
one set. You can order some extras on their site if you can't find
them locally. $4 including shipping.
Old May 29th 11, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/28/2011 5:16 PM, RichD wrote:
I recently purchased a street bike, Schwinn,
standard drop handlebar type.

I want to mount a rack on the rear, but there are
no through holes on the frame. I've never seen
this before.

Are there any kits with frame adapters or
something, to facilitate a rack?

Yes.

For the top:

See
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=23925
for a way to get around the lack of braze-ons on the seat stays. Ensure
that the rack you buy has supports that will reach, or buy extended
supports.

Avoid the use of P clamps. If you don't like the special seat clamp
solution above, there are some better clamps from
http://www.thetouringstore.com to use, see Item #3 Tubus Stay Mounting
Clamps at
http://www.thetouringstore.com/TUBUS/Fit%20Solutions/FIT%20SOLUTIONS%20PAGE.htm.
Be sure to order the proper size (hopefully you have a Vernier caliper
to measure the tubing diameter).

For the bottom:

a) Purchase a rack that has clamps for the lower seat stays included,
i.e. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/bicycle-metal-rear-cargo-rack-56323
which has coated clamps to attach to the seat stays and is highly
adjustable. Such racks are few and far between, so you'll have few choices.

b) Avoid the use of P clamps if possible, it's not a great way to mount
a rack. The clamps in the rack from Dealextreme are much more secure,
but you could also use the clamps in Item #3 Tubus Stay Mounting Clamps
at
http://www.thetouringstore.com/TUBUS/Fit%20Solutions/FIT%20SOLUTIONS%20PAGE.htm.
Again, be sure to order the proper size.

c) Buy the Quick Release Rack Mounting Kit from
http://www.thetouringstore.com. This kit creates lower mounting holes
for a rack, see Item #2 Quick Release Rack Mounting Kit at
http://www.thetouringstore.com/TUBUS/Fit%20Solutions/FIT%20SOLUTIONS%20PAGE.htm.

Personally, even though it's costly, I'd get the special seat clamp and
the Quick Release Mounting Kit. This will be the most secure and allows
you to use any rack you want.

Old May 29th 11, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jimmy July[_3_]

On 5/28/2011 5:39 PM, landotter wrote:
On May 28, 7:16 pm, wrote:
I recently purchased a street bike, Schwinn,
standard drop handlebar type.

I want to mount a rack on the rear, but there are
no through holes on the frame. I've never seen
this before.

Are there any kits with frame adapters or
something, to facilitate a rack?

Use P-clamps. a lot of basic racks, like the Planet Bike Eco come with
one set. You can order some extras on their site if you can't find
them locally. $4 including shipping.

Most hardware stores carry usable P-clamps.
Old May 29th 11, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

SMS wrote:

For the top:

See
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=23925
for a way to get around the lack of braze-ons on the seat stays. Ensure
that the rack you buy has supports that will reach, or buy extended
supports.

That's cool-- a commercial version of one of my signature tricks.
When someone wants me to mount a rack on a bike that was never
intended to have one, I often swap out the seat binder for a longer
bolt or QR binder, drill out the rack stays, and mount them there.

Avoid the use of P clamps.

On this we agree. P clamps are insecure for the rack and unwholesome
for the frame.

Chalo
Old May 29th 11, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Chalo wrote:
SMS wrote:
For the top:

See
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=23925
for a way to get around the lack of braze-ons on the seat stays. Ensure
that the rack you buy has supports that will reach, or buy extended
supports.

That's cool-- a commercial version of one of my signature tricks.
When someone wants me to mount a rack on a bike that was never
intended to have one, I often swap out the seat binder for a longer
bolt or QR binder, drill out the rack stays, and mount them there.

Avoid the use of P clamps.

On this we agree. P clamps are insecure for the rack and unwholesome
for the frame.

Ditto.

Wiring harness clamps are one of those things which, like
duct tape, have a proper place but are often found well
afield from it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 29th 11, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/28/2011 7:30 PM, Chalo wrote:
SMS wrote:

For the top:

See
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=23925
for a way to get around the lack of braze-ons on the seat stays. Ensure
that the rack you buy has supports that will reach, or buy extended
supports.

That's cool-- a commercial version of one of my signature tricks.
When someone wants me to mount a rack on a bike that was never
intended to have one, I often swap out the seat binder for a longer
bolt or QR binder, drill out the rack stays, and mount them there.

Avoid the use of P clamps.

On this we agree. P clamps are insecure for the rack and unwholesome
for the frame.

The latter is especially true for non-steel frames.
Old May 29th 11, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

SMS wrote:

For the top:

See
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=23925
for a way to get around the lack of braze-ons on the seat stays. Ensure
that the rack you buy has supports that will reach, or buy extended
supports.

That's cool-- a commercial version of one of my signature tricks.
When someone wants me to mount a rack on a bike that was never
intended to have one, I often swap out the seat binder for a longer
bolt or QR binder, drill out the rack stays, and mount them there.

The fact that such a trick is necessary at all (at least on non-carbon
frames) speaks volumes about those that design frames that lack this
basic functionality.
Old May 29th 11, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 28, 7:16 pm, *wrote:
I recently purchased a street bike, Schwinn,
standard drop handlebar type.

I want to mount a rack on the rear, but there are
no through holes on the frame. *I've never seen
this before.

Are there any kits with frame adapters or
something, to facilitate a rack?

Use P-clamps. a lot of basic racks, like the Planet Bike Eco come with
one set. You can order some extras on their site if you can't find
them locally. $4 including shipping.

Most hardware stores carry usable P-clamps.

Not here. I've checked at HD, Ace, and the independent local.
Old May 29th 11, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

* SMS wrote:

For the top:

See
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=23925
for a way to get around the lack of braze-ons on the seat stays. Ensure
that the rack you buy has supports that will reach, or buy extended
supports.

That's cool-- a commercial version of one of my signature tricks.
When someone wants me to mount a rack on a bike that was never
intended to have one, I often swap out the seat binder for a longer
bolt or QR binder, drill out the rack stays, and mount them there.

Avoid the use of P clamps.

On this we agree. *P clamps are insecure for the rack and unwholesome
for the frame.

The latter is especially true for non-steel frames.

If it's especially true and you can't provide evidence, you're
probably lying again. What compels this? And why do you torture the
missus with one of those awful sloping tube aluminum bikes which are
so horrid--though you never give a real reason why? snort