I miss Jobst

Old April 13th 11, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Default I miss Jobst

Michael Press wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Dan O wrote:

Would you pay more to a seller who stocks only first-quality and will
do the right thing? *(I do.) *How about just to support a merchant
that you like. *Buy local worth anything?

Service is inherently local. *Goods never are (for the purposes of
this discussion).

Even Portlanders who smugly buy Chris King products because they are
"local" ignore the fact that Chris King relocated from Northern
California to dodge taxes and labor protection laws. *How righteous is
that? *L.H. Thomson is an Ayn-Randroid bloviating butthole. *Should
Tennesseeans be proud to "buy local" from a social Darwinist
dicktard?

Business is business. *Until the people get a handle on their
overseers, the best route is to buy super cheaply when you're not
verifiably putting money directly into a worker's hand.

Mr Thomson, who I was proud to call a friend, is dead.

He was determined to make quality products in USA and was,
in my opinion, very successful at that.

What's next, carping that Enrico Fermi never worked the line
at a soup kitchen? Sheesh, in a world full of chiseling
parasites who make nothing useful, you chose Thomson as a
target?

For someone who claims to make high quality mechanisms
himself, Chalo has a destructive streak that he needs
to attend to.

Destructive to what? The reputation of someone who didn't believe in
having a minimum wage?

Chalo
Old April 13th 11, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Apr 13, 9:19*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Apr 12, 8:06*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

I AM smug about beer, being that it is on tap and freshness does count
-- and coffee. *You can only dream of our coffee and beer. ...

A few years ago, my daughter and son-in-law moved back to Ohio from
Portland. *I was (and am) grateful to have them back, but yes, I was
aware they were leaving a very cool city.

On their very first day, I took them on a little drive to a place I'd
heard about, but never visited: a convenience store out in the
country. *We walked in, went past the slurpee machine, the packaged
foods and hardware and clearance DVDs to see several 50-foot-long
shelves full of imported and domestic beers.

We saw beers from dozens of countries and dozens of U.S. states,
including (of course) some fine ones brewed within 50 miles of the
store. *There were beers they'd never seen in Portland. *The kids were
in awe. *They said "We thought we'd never see anything like this
again!"

Later, I found this other place, a much shorter bike ride away.http://vewinebeer.com/
"Thanks to the great staff at the Vintage Estate Wine and Beer, we
were rated #1 Best Beer Retailer in the World 2010 on ratebeer.com.
"

I don't know how much you can trust such online ratings, but I've
certainly enjoyed visiting both places. *And the kids are quite happy
with Ohio.

Portland's certainly cool. *But other places have much to offer, too.

No doubt, and probably less traffic and a better tax structure -- and
better weather, but for on-tap beer made locally, PDX is doing pretty
good. http://portlandsbrewpubs.com/

With bottled beer, there is a point at which I see a huge selection
and say "wow," and then I buy the same old stuff since I don't know
what some weird named Czech brand tastes like -- except that it is
bound to be wheaty. I'm not devoted enough to work my way down the
shelves and take notes. This place is maybe a mile from my house and
has more beer than I care to sample. http://www.johnsmarketplace.com/Bottles/
It is just down the street from the Lucky Lab brew pub, which probably
cuts in to the business. http://www.luckylab.com/html/story.html Check
out the "awesome" bicycle jersey! It seems like every brewery has its
jersey. - Jay Beattie.

Old April 13th 11, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 17:06:34 -0700 (PDT), Jay Beattie
wrote:

While few things or people live up to your expectations, remember that
at least Ayn Rand wrote some books and LH Thomson made seatposts. They
did not sit around carping, except for Ayn in her books, and then she
was getting paid for it.

Good timing. The movie opens in 3 days:
http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old April 13th 11, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Chalo wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Dan O wrote:

Would you pay more to a seller who stocks only first-quality and will
do the right thing? Â*(I do.) Â*How about just to support a merchant
that you like. Â*Buy local worth anything?

Service is inherently local. Â*Goods never are (for the purposes of
this discussion).

Even Portlanders who smugly buy Chris King products because they are
"local" ignore the fact that Chris King relocated from Northern
California to dodge taxes and labor protection laws. Â*How righteous is
that? Â*L.H. Thomson is an Ayn-Randroid bloviating butthole. Â*Should
Tennesseeans be proud to "buy local" from a social Darwinist
dicktard?

Business is business. Â*Until the people get a handle on their
overseers, the best route is to buy super cheaply when you're not
verifiably putting money directly into a worker's hand.

Mr Thomson, who I was proud to call a friend, is dead.

He was determined to make quality products in USA and was,
in my opinion, very successful at that.

What's next, carping that Enrico Fermi never worked the line
at a soup kitchen? Sheesh, in a world full of chiseling
parasites who make nothing useful, you chose Thomson as a
target?

For someone who claims to make high quality mechanisms
himself, Chalo has a destructive streak that he needs
to attend to.

Destructive to what? The reputation of someone who didn't believe in
having a minimum wage?

Destructive is destructive.

--
Michael Press
Old April 13th 11, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 4/13/2011 1:56 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Apr 13, 9:19 am, Frank wrote:
On Apr 12, 8:06 pm, Jay wrote:

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ries_in_Quebec

I've heard of cycling tours centered around these breweries. Not sure
whether it's a good idea though g
Old April 13th 11, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Brian Rosenthal wrote:

On Apr 12, 7:57Â*pm, kolldata wrote:
New Balance, according to NB, are made in the US and offered online

I wear NB because they're the only sneaker I can get wide enough.

Me too. I bought two pair of model 991 and wore them on
alternate days for over 12 years. Wearing out some 999s now.

They say "Made in China" on them.

--
Michael Press
Old April 13th 11, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Apr 13, 1:56*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]

Yep, that's the place I used to visit with my son-in-law! Granted,
the two local places I described are not as large; but they're still
sufficient for several years of sampling.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 13th 11, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On Apr 13, 9:19 am, Frank wrote:
On Apr 12, 8:06 pm, Jay wrote:

[...]

BTW from your link:

Unibroue La Fin Du Monde Canada 25.4 oz Each

Try this one. 25 oz and 9%. Or try Trois Pistoles or Maudite if you
can find them.

Old April 13th 11, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Apr 13, 9:19 am, Frank *wrote:
On Apr 12, 8:06 pm, Jay *wrote:

[...]

whether it's a good idea though g- Hide quoted text -

I did an ad hoc wine tour in the Sonoma Valley while riding down the
coast to San Jose (cut inland) and drank too much wine, too little
water and then ended up sleeping in a tent with my head slightly down
hill by mistake. I woke up with the worst headache in my life and
then had to go rat around in my paniers in the dark, trying to find
aspirin. But the wine was really good. -- Jay Beattie.
Old April 13th 11, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Michael Press wrote:

*Chalo wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

What's next, carping that Enrico Fermi never worked the line
at a soup kitchen? Sheesh, in a world full of chiseling
parasites who make nothing useful, you chose Thomson as a
target?

For someone who claims to make high quality mechanisms
himself, Chalo has a destructive streak that he needs
to attend to.

Destructive to what? *The reputation of someone who didn't believe in
having a minimum wage?

Destructive is destructive.

Not my doing. Homecheese was out and proud:

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20040622075643/http://www.lhthomson.com/news/Ronnie's%20editorial.html

Jobst Phil H Techniques 83 July 13th 11 12:53 AM
Jobst- we mightl never know Cicero Venatio Racing 8 February 12th 11 08:23 AM
When Jobst ... Steve Freides[_2_] Techniques 1 January 20th 11 09:28 PM
Jobst Brad Anders Racing 20 January 19th 11 05:31 PM
Jobst TriGuru55x11 Rides 1 January 19th 11 01:13 PM