Biking perimeter of Australia (groceries and bikebox in Brisbane)

Old April 6th 07, 09:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BikeManiac

Default Biking perimeter of Australia (groceries and bikebox in Brisbane)

Hi,

1. As written earlier I'm planning on biking the perimeter of
Australia but I need to know where I can get food. This means at what
time and in what areas. Mainly I was thinking of petrol stations with
a small shop. The reason for this question is, that I want to plan
ahead and avoid carrying food and water for very long distances.

What are the names of the major petrol stations in Australia (I need a
directory).

Any other suggestions?

2. When arriving at Brisbane Airport I will need to unpack my trike
from the bikebox. This bikebox is made out of thick corrugated
cardboard. Preferably I would like to store that box somewhere till I
come back again, hence not needing to fabricate a new box again (it
has weird dimensions and requires a lot of cutting, gluing etc). Is
there a place where I can store it or will I have to throw it out?

Regards, Lucas Jensen

Old April 7th 07, 04:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Russell Lang

"BikeManiac" wrote in message
oups.com...
1. As written earlier I'm planning on biking the perimeter of
Australia but I need to know where I can get food. This means at what
time and in what areas. Mainly I was thinking of petrol stations with
a small shop. The reason for this question is, that I want to plan
ahead and avoid carrying food and water for very long distances.

What are the names of the major petrol stations in Australia (I need a
directory).

The major petrol chains are
Coles Express / Shell http://www.colesexpress.com.au/default.asp
BP
Caltex (Chevron / Texaco JV)
Esso (Exxon)
Mobil (Exxon)
Some petrol stations are owned by the chains, others are independent but buy their fuel from the
major suppliers.

The petrol stations tend not to have wide range of groceries.
Fine for buying chips and Tim Tams, frozen pies and a microwave, but not for fresh food.
Bigger cities tend to have 7-11.
http://www.7eleven.com.au/flash/index.html

Doen the east coast you shouldn't have a problem finding a suitable shop every 50km. Many towns
with a population 1000 would have a general store.
Crossing the Nullabor form Adelaide to Perth is a different story. Check guidebooks for the
interval there, but I guess it is 100 - 200km.

Old April 7th 07, 10:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

BikeManiac wrote:
Hi,

1. As written earlier I'm planning on biking the perimeter of
Australia but I need to know where I can get food. This means at what
time and in what areas. Mainly I was thinking of petrol stations with
a small shop. The reason for this question is, that I want to plan
ahead and avoid carrying food and water for very long distances.

Any supermarket in any town. guess what, big town supermarket may even
have peanut butter and jelly. Really.

The supermarket chains vary from state to state.
Where there are no large, medium or small supermarkets, I'd recommend
looking at cafes first. Many small town cafes (milk bars) also have a
few groceries. Ask around when you hit town. Admittedly.most might be
tineed, but usually someone has something. Petrol statins last.

Keep some basic dry supplies (just add water) for emergency (rice, etc)

The isutaion is so bad, I had when I rode up Cape York. Towns with
frozen meat were conveniently located at every four days. Hint, you keep
day three/four meet wrapped constantly in heat retention stuff.
Old April 8th 07, 08:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Apr 7, 6:05 am, "BikeManiac" wrote:
[...]

Lucas

I live about 30km from Brisbane Airport and you can leave the box at
my place if you like and stay a day or so as you get ready. Depending
on when you arrive, you would probably need to make your own way here,
as I work and ride my bike to work, so I might not be able to get you
from your plane. pjl dot whittle AT optusnet DOT com DOT au.

donga

Old April 8th 07, 09:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Donga wrote:

I live about 30km from Brisbane Airport and you can leave the box at
my place if you like and stay a day or so as you get ready. Depending
on when you arrive, you would probably need to make your own way here,
as I work and ride my bike to work, so I might not be able to get you
from your plane. pjl dot whittle AT optusnet DOT com DOT au.

Thankfully AFAIK Brisbane Airport is nothing like Sydney Airport where
they gouge you to park. cost $24 a few years ago to see the delayed
nephew off to join rest of his family when we arrived early (weird
traffic) and boarding was delayed. Now, everyone gets taken tothe local
train station and they can catch the choo-choo into the airport.
Old April 8th 07, 12:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Skewer

BikeManiac wrote:
[...]

Have you signed up for the Warm Showers list?
http://www.warmshowers.org/

It's a way to find helpful people offering everything from accommodation
to long-term storage & support to touring cyclists.

There's about nine hosts registered around Inner Brisbane alone that may
be able to store your Bike box for free. http://www.warmshowers.org/map

Lots of other hosts scattered around Australia that would be quite happy
to help you out along the way for one or two nights if you are close by.
They would also be able to help out with those local knowledge issues.

Rgds
Pete

Pete.B
Old April 10th 07, 12:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Russell Lang wrote:

Doen the east coast you shouldn't have a problem finding a suitable
shop every 50km. Many towns with a population 1000 would have a
general store. Crossing the Nullabor form Adelaide to Perth is a different
story. Check guidebooks for the interval there, but I guess it is 100 -
200km.

Distance between services on the Nullarbor averages around 150 km, longest
being Norseman to Balladonia at 198 km. Expect water to be available only in
bottles at $3-$4 for 600 ml. Fizzy drinks are cheaper. Camping facilities
are around $10 a night and include a shower in non-potable water.

Theo