A Very Merry (And Early) EB Christmas

Old October 27th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Evan Byrne

Default A Very Merry (And Early) EB Christmas

rem48 wrote:
Evan
that is very generous of you no matter what the conditions were. now
why are you quiting unicycling?

I pretty much destoryed my shoulder with a series of dislocations and
subluxations. It will never heal and will never alow me to do any
sport-like activites with it.

Skrob: No that was my only cf base, I gave brian everything apart from
what it takes to keep my coker going.

--
Evan Byrne
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 27th 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Evan Byrne wrote:
I pretty much destoryed my shoulder with a series of dislocations and
subluxations. It will never heal and will never alow me to do any
sport-like activites with it.

I had muscle casing taken from my leg and used to replace the ligaments
I destroyed in my shoulder last april. It was the first time that this
was done at the hospital I went to.

As medicine advances there is a good chance that a new procedure will
be developed that could help you. Don't give up man.

--
saskatchewanian

The Coker isn't elegant, it's majestic
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 27th 07, 07:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Evan Byrne

saskatchewanian wrote:
I had muscle casing taken from my leg and used to replace the ligaments
I destroyed in my shoulder last april. It was the first time that this
was done at the hospital I went to.

As medicine advances there is a good chance that a new procedure will
be developed that could help you. Don't give up man.

I haven't, I've just moved onto hobbies that don't require exessive use
of my shoulder.

--
Evan Byrne
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 27th 07, 08:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

Evan Byrne wrote:
but never sports level activity with my shoulder. A few weeks ago my
shoulder was to the point where enough it disloacted just swiming.
There is no way I would ever be able to resume any kind of unicycling
apart from simple, mellow distance riding apart from litterly straping
my upper arm to my side.

Evan, after seeing this post I looked up your other ones to see what
had happened. Missed your original injury post regarding your
shoulder. What a bummer!

Keep looking. Never and ever are really permanent words to be saying at
16. There may be some limitations now while you're still growing, but
ultimately there may be some surgical steps you can take which will
help this. My wife had similar issues when she was slightly less than
double your age. Massively dislocated shoulder in a waterskiing
accident, which stretched all the ligaments/tendons. This made it
easier for her to re-injure, which she did while skiing, and ultimately
created an "easy exit" path which made it easier and easier for the
shoulder to pop out of socket. By the time she had it repaired, a
hearty slap on the back was almost enough to knock it out. I
exaggerate, but not by much.

The surgery she had was fairly invasive, but went in and actually
tightened/shortened the ligaments, to the point where the shoulder was
not able to dislocate. Lots of PT afterwards, but it has never
dislocated in the 15 years since, whereas it popped out several times
just in the year prior to the surgery. Since the surgery, she's been
able to ski again, swim, kayak, and other activities which had
previously been off-limits.

At the surgical technology level of 15 years ago, they tended to
"over-tighten", and if you don't stretch the hell out of it during your
initial PT, you can find your range of motion permanently limited. I
had a good friend who had the same problem, and the same repair
surgery, as my wife. His happened a few years earlier than hers, and
was less successful, at least partly due to his failure to PT
appropriately afterwards. His shoulder has never dislocated since, but
motion was lost.

The technique has to have improved in the last 15 years, and will
likely improve even more by the time you stop your growth 5-8 years
down the road. If you are willing to find and pay for the right
surgeon...one with experience working on athletes...and to seriously
crank on the PT afterward, there is no reason this needs to be a
life-limiting injury.

Sorry if this comes across as presumptuous...I obviously don't know
your exact injury and all the doctors that you've spoken with. But I
have seen some pretty bad chronic shoulder dislocation scenarios, and
what can be done medically to address them. All I'm trying to say is
don't give up hope. Even if there isn't an immediate fix due to your
age and "still growing" status, you will have options down the road.

TB

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 27th 07, 09:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Evan Byrne

tomblackwood wrote:
[...]

I have looked into these shoulder surgerys, both the bankhart repair
and athroscopic sugery, all the pages I have found that give a
thourough talk about dislocations and surgery state that the younger
you are, the less likley the surgery will help, but also the more
likley you are to continue dislocating.

Also, due to the things I like to do, the 2-3 months in a sling after
surgery would be horrible and down right unacceptable to me.

Right now I am doing a treatment called Prolotherapy, it consists of
injections of "Dextrose", pretty much sugar water. This creates a
localized inflamation in the area injected and makes the body produce
collogen which in turn thickens tendons and ligaments and helps relive
pain as well as tighten the joint. Though this likley wont be able to
make me able to return to sports activites, the course of the
injections only takes about a month and does not require any kind of
sling so I can continue using my arm.

Due to my ****ty situation I have decided to go with short term,
non-invasive treatments and ruled out any kind of sports as my hobbies.
Vs. Surgery with long down-time, risks and a possibility of returning
to sports.

--
Evan Byrne
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 27th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
robdizzle

what hobbies do you have now?

--
robdizzle

'The Great Chicago Meet-up Thread'
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 27th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
qhxakg

Evan Byrne wrote:
[...]

my sister had the prolotheraphy done on her knee and the ligamnet
tightening on her ankle but they tighten a little to much.

--
qhxakg

If somebody tells you your tricks are gay, ask them if they are an
expert in gay trickery.
-Ivan-
~o"o~'Unicycle for The Flying Spaghetti Monster'
(http://www.venganza.org/)~o"o~
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 27th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
manon1wheel

wow evan. very impressed. Evan, you have made my day. I read this thread
and realized was generosity truely is. Your amazing.
-Riley

--
manon1wheel

The key to getting what you want from your parents:
1. Whine
2. Cry
3. Whine more
4. Make bad smells -catboy
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 27th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Evan Byrne wrote:

Also, due to the things I like to do, the 2-3 months in a sling after
surgery would be horrible and down right unacceptable to me.

I would gladly leave my arm in a sling for a few months if it would
allow me to go back to doing sports.
Id rather limit myself for those few months, then limit myself for
possibly my life.

Just saying.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 27th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
qhxakg

Jerrick wrote:
I would gladly leave my arm in a sling for a few months if it would
allow me to go back to doing sports.
Id rather limit myself for those few months, then limit myself for
possibly my life.

Just saying.

i think he said he wouldn't be able to do sports either way until he is
older so this way he doesn't need the sling and he can do low impact
stuff still

--
qhxakg

If somebody tells you your tricks are gay, ask them if they are an
expert in gay trickery.
-Ivan-
~o"o~'Unicycle for The Flying Spaghetti Monster'
(http://www.venganza.org/)~o"o~
http://www.usenet.com

A Very Merry (And Early) EB Christmas Brian O. Unicycling 0 October 25th 07 01:23 AM
Merry Christmas! wafflycat UK 5 December 25th 06 08:29 AM
merry christmas kris.lee Unicycling 17 December 25th 06 07:58 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS Colorado Bicycler General 6 December 25th 05 10:07 PM