long wheel base vs short wheel base recumbents

Old April 9th 06, 04:06 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default long wheel base vs short wheel base recumbents

PB wrote:
I am planning to buy a recumbent bicycle. The long wheel base kind look like
they will be easier to learn to ride for someone used to a diamond frame.
Can experienced riders give me their opinions of these two kinds of
recumbents and what I should consider in choosing between them?
Phil

I have two Vision R-40's. One lwb, the other swb. The LWB is more
stable (I can almost ride with my hands off the handle bar) and has a
softer ride. The swb can go on a bus rack, and looks a lot cooler. The
LWB isn't any easier to ride than the SWB, but I feel more comfortable
riding at the edge of the pavement. It's a lot more awkward to
transport and store, and I can't take it on the bus with me. I wouldn't
recommend selecting a bike, even a first bike based on wheelbase. The
best way is to ride a few and go with the one you like best. The next
best way is to go for the cheapest.

--
J Kimmel

www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.
Old April 9th 06, 04:35 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

JKimmel wrote:
I wouldn't
recommend selecting a bike, even a first bike based on wheelbase. The
best way is to ride a few and go with the one you like best. The next
best way is to go for the cheapest.

Ditto. I spent 12 years riding a SWB Lightning until I switched to a
LWB Tour Easy three years ago. Both are fine, fast bikes, and I would
have a hard time recommending one over the other.

Jeff

Old April 9th 06, 09:59 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

PB wrote:
I am planning to buy a recumbent bicycle. The long wheel base kind look like
they will be easier to learn to ride for someone used to a diamond frame.
Can experienced riders give me their opinions of these two kinds of
recumbents and what I should consider in choosing between them?

While touted as a Major Difference I think that in practice the
variation between models in either format is just as great as the
basic differences between the two.

While some 'bents are easier to learn on than others, even a tricky
one will be mastered by anyone that can ride a normal bike after
not too much time, after which you want a bike for reasons other
than "easier to learn on".

I'd decide what functional area you want ("tourer", "racer" etc.
are functional definitions, "recumbent" and "df" aren't) and then
look over what's available, try them out see how you like them. If
lwb or swb is better for you will depend on you and your purpose
and the specific examples, so don't worry too much about where the
wheels go!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 9th 06, 02:17 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Recumbent designs are not as standardized as diamond frames and you
will see more difference between brands and types than you might
expect.

The advice to decide what type of rider you are and then ride bikes of
that type is very good.

The other key is to decide why you want to ride a recumbent. If you
want to go fast, you will probably be disappointed. Yes, there are very
fast recumbents but it takes some time to get fast because they use
different muscles and a differnt riding style than you are used to on a
diamond frrame.

If you want the pain to go away, LWB USS are probably the most
comfortable but most folks pick LWB OSS because it is easier to adjust
to and quicker on the hills. Plus they are used to having their hands
out in front. The USS give the best views when Touring but are hard to
find and expensive.

SWB/MWB recumbents feel quick and are much easier to transport. I think
they have a much sportier feel than a LWB. I like riding them on day
rides but when I tour I ride a LWB. It handles the load better and
feels more reliable.

If you want the fun of feeling like a kid again, just buy anyone that
feels good when you ride it. The Sun bikes are inexpensive and a nice
way to start with a moderate design and a moderate price tag. The
classic names like Easy Racers, Vision and Rans are dependable choices
but if you are looking for something different there are a lot of other
choices.

Don't try to make the ultimate purchase. Don't make the Perfect the
enemy of the Good. Find a bike that you will enjoy now and that
includes price. If you become hooked you won't have any problem
justifying a new bike that fits your more specialized and better
understood needs. A excellent bike still costs less than a good set of
golf clubs ... smile.

Get out and enjoy the ride and don't worry about all of the arguments
about what is the best bike. If you are riding and having fun, that is
the best bike.

Roland
www.ebent.com

Old April 9th 06, 02:29 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

PB wrote:
I am planning to buy a recumbent bicycle. The long wheel base kind look like
they will be easier to learn to ride for someone used to a diamond frame.
Can experienced riders give me their opinions of these two kinds of
recumbents and what I should consider in choosing between them?

If you want something that handles similarly to a DF bike, then a dual
big wheel SWB (often referred to as a "high racer") is as close as
you're going to get. I have a Bacchetta Strada and think it's a great bike.

There are bikes in this configuration that range from touring machines
to all-out speed demons. The main thing going against them is that some
models (especially those more geared toward touring) may be too tall for
someone with shorter legs. Some also don't like the "tweener" or
"superman" handlebar configuration, though alternatives are available,
some don't like the high bottom bracket (there are some with lower BB
height, e.g. the ActionBent HiRacer, but they compromise elsewhere).

The best (and obvious) advice is of course to try bikes and see which
work best for you for the type of riding you do or expect to do. Other
considerations, like overall length of the bike, fitting onto transport
racks on your car, storage space in your garage, etc. are secondary.

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.
Old April 9th 06, 07:20 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"JKimmel" wrote in message
et...
PB wrote:
I am planning to buy a recumbent bicycle. The long wheel base kind look
like
they will be easier to learn to ride for someone used to a diamond frame.
Can experienced riders give me their opinions of these two kinds of
recumbents and what I should consider in choosing between them?
Phil

I have two Vision R-40's. One lwb, the other swb. The LWB is more stable
(I can almost ride with my hands off the handle bar) and has a softer
ride.

Yes, the LWB Vision is a much better bike than the SWB Vision, but there is
no way you can ride either of them with hands off the handle bars.

The swb can go on a bus rack, and looks a lot cooler. The
LWB isn't any easier to ride than the SWB, but I feel more comfortable
riding at the edge of the pavement.

I think you have better control on the LWB which is why you can ride it at
the edge of the pavement. I rode my SWB Vision on a couple of tours once and
it was a misery. Now, my only bike for touring is my Vision LWB OSS.

It's a lot more awkward to
transport and store, and I can't take it on the bus with me. I wouldn't
recommend selecting a bike, even a first bike based on wheelbase.

The wheelbase is a very important consideration when it comes to recumbents.
The shorter the wheel base, the more difficult they are to control That is
why most SWBs' have gotten longer and longer wheel bases lately. The Vision
SWB was a very short wheel base.

The
best way is to ride a few and go with the one you like best. The next
best way is to go for the cheapest.

Test riding a recumbent is vastly overrated. You really can't tell much
about a bike by riding it for a few hours. But it is something that
everyone says in order not to be pinned down. I got into many a heated
argument with Larry Varney on ARBR (now of BROL) about all this test riding
crapola business.

Almost all recumbents are outrageously priced. Get the right frame
configuration with a comfy seat and forget about pricey components. That is
for the suckers who have more money than brains.

Frankly, I do not like SWB and I will gladly tell anyone who asks why I
don't like them.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old April 10th 06, 11:39 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

In article , Peter Clinch
) wrote:

While some 'bents are easier to learn on than others, even a tricky
one will be mastered by anyone that can ride a normal bike after
not too much time, after which you want a bike for reasons other
than "easier to learn on".

FSVO "anyone". When I first tried an Avatar, I just could /not/ get the
thing to remain upright and remained on three wheels for a further six
years. Then Miles Kingsbury brought the prototype Kingcycle to the 1989
BHPC AGM and I was able to hop on and do a couple of high-speed laps
straight away. Seventeen further years of SWB use later, I still find
LWBs to be something of a handful...

My other motto is in Latin.
Old April 10th 06, 05:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"Dave Larrington" wrote in message
t...
In article , Peter Clinch
) wrote:

While some 'bents are easier to learn on than others, even a tricky
one will be mastered by anyone that can ride a normal bike after
not too much time, after which you want a bike for reasons other
than "easier to learn on".

FSVO "anyone". When I first tried an Avatar, I just could /not/ get the
thing to remain upright and remained on three wheels for a further six
years. Then Miles Kingsbury brought the prototype Kingcycle to the 1989
BHPC AGM and I was able to hop on and do a couple of high-speed laps
straight away. Seventeen further years of SWB use later, I still find
LWBs to be something of a handful...

I think my Infinity is like the Avatar. It too does not handle as well as I
could wish. By and large, I do not like underseat steering. After I had my
Infinity for a year, I got a Tour Easy and my troubles were over.

USS LWB will have a very quick steering input compared to OSS. Btu I do not
like USS even in connection with a SWB. It is always just too damn quick.

I will say this for SWB - they are more fun to ride, but you have to stay
focused. You cannot really relax on them like you can on a LWB OSS.

Old April 12th 06, 08:39 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

PB wrote:
I am planning to buy a recumbent bicycle. The long wheel base kind look like
they will be easier to learn to ride for someone used to a diamond frame.
Can experienced riders give me their opinions of these two kinds of
recumbents and what I should consider in choosing between them?
Phil

A properly designed SWB will handle just as well as a LWB.

A SWB is more maneuverable and easier to store and ride slowly. Riding
slowly is one of those things you will do at the end of the day on that
long hill. The disadvantage is the ability to hang panniers for touring.

Try SWB first. If they are too twitchy, turn the front fork around.

Bill

--
See bikes at: http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html

See bikes and the first human powered helicopter at:

http://www.calpoly.edu/~wpatters/

Reply to