Perhaps she should have worn a helmet

Old February 13th 08, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

Default Perhaps she should have worn a helmet

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.2040197.0.0.php#
outlines the sad case of someone who fell down some stairs.

I wonder if the usual suspects will be exploiting this as part of a
campaign to enforce pedestrian helmets? I suspect not, partly in
deference to family and friends of the deceased. It is a pity the
usual suspects are not as respectful of cyclists and their family &
friends.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old February 13th 08, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann[_2_]

In message
David Hansen wrote:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.2040197.0.0.php#
outlines the sad case of someone who fell down some stairs.

I wonder if the usual suspects will be exploiting this as part of a
campaign to enforce pedestrian helmets? I suspect not, partly in
deference to family and friends of the deceased. It is a pity the
usual suspects are not as respectful of cyclists and their family &
friends.

Whilst I understand your point, it appears that you are exploting this as
part of an anti cycle helmet campaign, which is IMHO wrong.

Martin.
Old February 13th 08, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Martin Dann wrote:
In message
David Hansen wrote:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.2040197.0.0.php#
outlines the sad case of someone who fell down some stairs.

I wonder if the usual suspects will be exploiting this as part of a
campaign to enforce pedestrian helmets? I suspect not, partly in
deference to family and friends of the deceased. It is a pity the
usual suspects are not as respectful of cyclists and their family &
friends.

Whilst I understand your point, it appears that you are exploting this as
part of an anti cycle helmet campaign, which is IMHO wrong.

Not so much an anti-cycle helmet point as an anti-(rabidly-pro cycle
helmet advocacy) point. There /is/ a distinction.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 13th 08, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe[_4_]

Peter Clinch wrote:

Martin Dann wrote:

In message
David Hansen wrote:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.2040197.0.0.php#
outlines the sad case of someone who fell down some stairs.

I wonder if the usual suspects will be exploiting this as part of a
campaign to enforce pedestrian helmets? I suspect not, partly in
deference to family and friends of the deceased. It is a pity the
usual suspects are not as respectful of cyclists and their family &
friends.

Whilst I understand your point, it appears that you are exploting this as
part of an anti cycle helmet campaign, which is IMHO wrong.

Not so much an anti-cycle helmet point as an anti-(rabidly-pro cycle
helmet advocacy) point. There /is/ a distinction.

Pete.

Which is why I'm sure he won't mind me saying tat I'll carry on wearing
mine, although the story reminded me how much I wish Sandy Denny were
still alive. And that thought normally comes to me on an August weekend....

Roger Thorpe
Old February 13th 08, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Roger Thorpe wrote:

Which is why I'm sure he won't mind me saying tat I'll carry on wearing
mine

Can't think he would as long as you don't cite certificate-vacant
reasons for other people to. Only reason /you/ need is just wanting to
wear one.

although the story reminded me how much I wish Sandy Denny were
still alive. And that thought normally comes to me on an August weekend....

350 folk a year in the UK are killed in trips and falls, with stairs
being a significant part of the problem AIUI.

Pete.
Old February 13th 08, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:49:31 GMT someone who may be Martin Dann
wrote this:-

I wonder if the usual suspects will be exploiting this as part of a
campaign to enforce pedestrian helmets? I suspect not, partly in
deference to family and friends of the deceased. It is a pity the
usual suspects are not as respectful of cyclists and their family &
friends.

Whilst I understand your point, it appears that you are exploting this as
part of an anti cycle helmet campaign,

Incorrect. I am simply pointing out the flaws in the helmet lobby's
arguments. It is not an anti-helmet argument, it is an anti-helmet
lobby argument. The difference is important.

In normal circumstances I would be entirely indifferent about
whether people want to wear a silly bit of plastic on their heads
when cycling or not. I am pro-choice and it is up to them. However,
we are not in normal circumstances, because government has said that
when enough people have been "encouraged" to wear silly bits of
plastic on their head when cycling government will force all to wear
silly bits of plastic on their head when cycling.

As a result of this government policy I have modified my stance if
indifference so that I occasionally remind those who wish to wear
silly bits of plastic on their head when cycling of government
policy. It is then up to them to cogitate on this fact. When/if
government changes its policy I will change my stance. The choice is
theirs.

Of course if someone wants to wear a silly bit of plastic on their
head then it is best if they adjusted it so that it stood some
change of doing something. To this end I occasionally spend some
time adjusting cycle helmets for people.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old February 13th 08, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe[_4_]

Peter Clinch wrote:

Roger Thorpe wrote:
Which is why I'm sure he won't mind me saying that I'll carry on wearing
mine

Can't think he would as long as you don't cite certificate-vacant
reasons for other people to. Only reason /you/ need is just wanting to
wear one.
Pete.

There's another reason, and it's more powerful..... "Because My
Girlfriend Says So."

When it comes to safety though, the best investment that I've made in
the past year has been a high viz vest from homebase.
I'm amazed at the difference it makes, and I don't know why I didn't do
it thirty years ago. I haven't heard anyone say 'SMIDSY' for months.
Roger Thorpe
Old February 13th 08, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Roger Thorpe wrote:

There's another reason, and it's more powerful..... "Because My
Girlfriend Says So."

i.e., you want to wear it, and you know you do as you've been told... ;-)

When it comes to safety though, the best investment that I've made in
the past year has been a high viz vest from homebase.
I'm amazed at the difference it makes

I sometimes wear hi-viz stuff, sometimes don't. Doesn't seem to make
any difference to the space or courtesy I'm given. The two nasty
accidents with other vehicles I've had I was wearing hi-viz on the
daylight occasion and reflectives on the after-dark occasion...

Pete.
Old February 13th 08, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_3_]

David Hansen wrote:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.2040197.0.0.php#
outlines the sad case of someone who fell down some stairs.

I wonder if the usual suspects will be exploiting this as part of a
campaign to enforce pedestrian helmets? I suspect not, partly in
deference to family and friends of the deceased. It is a pity the
usual suspects are not as respectful of cyclists and their family &
friends.

I wonder if the usual suspect (Hansen) will be exploiting this as part
of some unknown point he wishes to score?

It would seem so.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi 'Big and Butch'
'98 Suzuki DR 200 Djebel 'Small but perfectly formed'
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp "When I feel fit enough'
Old February 13th 08, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spokes[_4_]

a high viz vest from homebase.
I'm amazed at the difference it makes

Difference from what? From nothing or from some alternative? I've always
relied on one of those reflective yellow sam brownes - do you think a full
vest makes a difference? Does anyone know if there's any hard evidence one
way or t'other? (I kind of like the SB for its ease of use, but if there was
a significant diff I might be tempted to get the full monte.)

Car paasenger "should have worn a helmet" David Hansen UK 33 August 14th 07 10:31 PM
Pedestrian "should have worn a helmet" David Hansen UK 6 June 22nd 07 09:30 PM
He should have worn a helmet David Hansen UK 9 September 29th 05 03:44 PM
Worn headstem? DaveB Australia 11 September 17th 05 03:42 PM
More Drivel on "Look" Cleats - How Worn is Too Worn? Suzy Jackson Australia 5 August 22nd 03 07:42 AM