Brake levers- Tektro R200/Cane Creek SCR-5

Old June 30th 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

Default Brake levers- Tektro R200/Cane Creek SCR-5

I always have trouble getting my wheels past the brake blocks when I
remove them. I'm running 28mm tires and the DuraAce 7402 calipers don't
open wide and say Ahhhh. I have read that these levers are non-shifting
copies of Campy Ergo, and have a quick release button in the lever.
Replacing my DA levers (not STI) with these might give me a few mm more
clearance to get the wheels out.

Both models are reported to be made by Tektro, and the Tektro is priced
lower, ~$25 vs. $3 for the Cane Creeks. Is anyone using these levers?
Does anyone know of a real difference between the two brands? Does the
built-in QR button work work as advertised?

BC
blocked
Old June 30th 10, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 29, 9:28*pm, bcdrums wrote:
I always have trouble getting my wheels past the brake blocks when I
remove them. I'm running 28mm tires and the DuraAce 7402 calipers don't
open wide and say Ahhhh. I have read that these levers are non-shifting
copies of Campy Ergo, and have a quick release button in the lever.
Replacing my DA levers (not STI) with these might give me a few mm more
clearance to get the wheels out.

Both models are reported to be made by Tektro, and the Tektro is priced
lower, ~$25 vs. $3 for the Cane Creeks. Is anyone using these levers?
Does anyone know of a real difference between the two brands? Does the
built-in QR button work work as advertised?

The difference is in the geckos on the hoods. That's it. The new
version, the RL340, have a slightly different body shape. Don't know
if the Campy lawyers had a talk with them or what. It's still very
nice. Get the Tektros.

Old June 30th 10, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
K. Fred Gauss[_6_]

bcdrums wrote:

Both models are reported to be made by Tektro, and the Tektro is priced
lower, ~$25 vs. $3 for the Cane Creeks. Is anyone using these levers?

Yes.

Does anyone know of a real difference between the two brands?

Just logos.

Does the
built-in QR button work work as advertised?

Yes.

The Tektro levers are great. You'll like them.
Old June 30th 10, 11:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

On 6/29/10 11:21 PM, landotter wrote:
On Jun 29, 9:28 pm, wrote:
[...]

A correction: in my original post I priced the Cane Creeks at $3, should
have been $43.

Landotter, since you mention the hoods...these levers being Campy
copies, I am wondering if they will fit the aftermarket Hudz hoods,
which come in a variety of spiffy colors.

The Hudz are sold for Ergo V2 and V3, do you know which the R200
purports to have copied?

BC
Hudwinked
Old June 30th 10, 12:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

On Jun 29, 9:28 pm, wrote:
[...]

Is the Tektro R200a a different lever?

BC
Old June 30th 10, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 29, 9:28 pm, *wrote:
[...]

The RL340 is the replacement for the R200a, AFAIK. Same build quality.
Same quick release. Splits the difference in shape between Ergo and
SRAM.

There's tons of R200a's still in the marketplace if you prefer that
shape. I like the flat top if I'm motoring along a flat and put my
palm on 'em like Superman. The RL340s offer a more secure grip for
most folks and are what I'd put on a new build--even with my size XL
paws.

I don't think aftermarket Ergo hoods will fit the R200a. Even if you
can get them on--you'll have to live with the unsightly thumb button
hole.
Old June 30th 10, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard

"bcdrums" wrote in message
snip
Is the Tektro R200a a different lever?

BC

Tektro says that the R200A is the same lever but made to suit the reach of
smaller hands. Not having handled a 200A I can't say whether it has a slimmed
down body as well or just a subtly different bend to the lever blade.
I can say that the quick release button works as advertised. The lever has a
plastic inner body with plastic trunnion holes to take pivot pin for alloy
blade. It's an inexpensive lever but it looks good and feels good. I'll come
back in five years to report on durability.
PH