Newbie Again???

Old September 8th 03, 05:32 AM
Uni~vs~ U

Default Newbie Again???

Hello, person's !!!

It has been well over 15 years since I've ridden a
unicycle.
Maybe It's a mid-life thing but, I just ordered a new H.D 48 spoke
Torker and, hope to re-live the enjoyment of unicycling.

I have a few questions though....

1. Can you forget how to ride?, or.... is it like a bike, where once
learned, it's a permanent ability.

2. I've seen some reviews on the Torker.. but does the "heavy duty'
aspect of this new Torker live up to it's name?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

P.S after reading this forum for the last week or so, I am so pumped,
to get back on the wheel.

I use to be able to free mount, conquer small hills, idle for about 10 -
20 seconds. ( basically just enough where I could say I could ride
)
Now I just hope I can get away from the fence post again

The brown truck should have my uni here by Friday... I just can't wait..
it's killing me.

All I can do for now is scan the forums, and visualize me doing some
tricked out stunts on my ride

Thanks for reading

--
Uni~vs~ U - One tire'd dude
Uni~vs~ U's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4401

Old September 8th 03, 06:16 AM
daino149

Welcome back to the wonderful world of Uni! Even if you can't ride
right away, I'm sure you will still have loads of fun - and that's what
it's all about.

As for the uni you ordered. I wouldn't call it Heavy Duty, I managed to
break mine in three months. But it is by far the best uni for the
money. When I broke mine, it was doing something it obviously wasn’t
meant to do. For normal riding it should be fine. Just don't expect to
do any massive jumps or drops.

Have fun,
Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

A One That Isn't Cold Is Scardely A One At All

Old September 8th 03, 07:07 AM
Uni~vs~ U

James wrote:
*

BUT before you get back on one wheel invest in a copy of Universe just
so you can see how unicycling has progressed since you last got on
one. It will also be good because you can see what you will be able to
do with a bit (countless hours) of practice. *

James wrote:

invest in a copy of Universe just so you can see how unicycling has
progressed since you last got on one. It will also be good because you
can see what you will be able to do with a bit (countless hours) of
practice. [/b]

I can't believe how much unicycling has progressed!!!!!

When I was riding my Norco 15 years ago, i didn't know of any videos,
or chris holms' etc. There were no muni's then i'm sure of that

it was me and my fence for what seemed an eternity before i could ride.
Then one day I went out and it just happened out of the blue. I left
the safety of the fence and just did it.

I went from wobbling along the fence line, to a full out cruise. i went
around the block like 3-4 times and didn't want to stop, just incase i
couldn't do it again. :0)

now there's a scad of uni manufactures, and all you guys are one
footing, wheel walking, coasting, muni-ing..1001 to mount.. it just
blows my mind.

Anyway, I'm just happy to see this full fledged sport , and I'm looking
forward to getting in shape and just proving to all the nay sayers (
including my wife I might add) that I can ride. Who knows I'll maybe
even attept muni-ing in a couple months.

First Stop after I assemble my Torker, i'm off to get a skid lid and
shin savers.... i still remember the agonizing pain of the peddle in
the shins and constant burning of the inner thighs.

thanks for the advice and encouragement !!!

Old September 8th 03, 07:55 AM
duaner

QUOTE]-Originally posted by daino149 -
*As for the [stealth Torker]. I wouldn't call it Heavy Duty, I managed
to break mine in three months. ... Just don't expect to do any massive
jumps or drops.
*

Daniel, I'd be curious how much (ab)use the torker took before you broke
it; that is, what kind of riding were you doing?
Also, what kind of tire did you use on it? What pressure?

Basically, I'm wondering if I can do some light MUni on it (probably max
2ft drops VERY RARELY, and, I 'only' weight 150lbs).

Thanks

--
duaner - -
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

Old September 8th 03, 04:59 PM
Cokerhead

Uni~vs~ U wrote:
*Can you forget how to ride? *

No. I quit riding for about 17 yrs. I know of many others that didn't
ride for 10+ yrs. I've never heard of anyone forgetting.
Welcome back!

-Mark

--
Cokerhead
Cokerhead's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/136

Old September 8th 03, 06:25 PM
BoojiBoy

Cokerhead wrote:
*

No. I quit riding for about 17 yrs. I know of many others that
didn't ride for 10+ yrs. I've never heard of anyone forgetting.
Welcome back!

-Mark *

I'm curious as to what causes a person to quit unicycling for 17 years.
I mean sure, you could break something and be out of commision for a
while, but 17 years is a helluva long time...unless you were married and
the wife didn't like it....hmm, i'm getting married in a month, good
thing my fiancee likes to ride too.

--
BoojiBoy - Punk Rock Rider
BoojiBoy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3923

Old September 8th 03, 06:38 PM
JJuggle

BoojiBoy wrote:
*

I'm curious as to what causes a person to quit unicycling for 17
years. I mean sure, you could break something and be out of commision
for a while, but 17 years is a helluva long time...unless you were
married and the wife didn't like it....hmm, i'm getting married in a
month, good thing my fiancee likes to ride too. *

I am one who also didn't ride for about 18 years. At the time I stopped
riding I could do a basic freemount, barely idle and that's it.

I think mostly my stopping had to do with being in college and
discovering new things. Things like heavy drinking, smoking, asteroids
and entirely novel ways for women to reject me. (No, the first three
have absolutely nothing to do with the last).

As for returning to unicycling, it's just like riding, well, a unicycle;
you never forget. Do be prepared for your exhuberance to get the better
of you and to take a few falls that are less than elegant.

Have a great time and welcome back!

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

"I think gay marriage should be between a man and a woman." - Candidate
Arnold Schwarzenegger
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old September 8th 03, 09:45 PM
johnfoss

tomblackwood wrote:
*This is a thread just born for some John Foss participation....not
that he's ever stopped riding. *

Okay, now I'm obligated.

I have never seen or heard of a person who rode unicycles in the past
who could not get going again within a few minutes, no matter how many
years later. I think about 25 years is the longest I've experienced (not
me, people I've met). I remember one time on a trail in Santa Cruz, we
ran into some bikers and one said he hadn't ridden in about 20 years. He
got going on the third try, on dirt!

Like many physical skills we learn in our lives, if you do it enough, it
becomes ingrained pretty deeply. If you've learned to ride a unicycle
without really having to think about it, this means you've got it pretty
well programmed into your brain and body. You will presumably remember
how to do it as long as your body is able to go through the motions.

People who could only barely ride, then stopped for many years, might
not pick up where they left off, because they had not worn the skill
down to the unconscious level like those that rode for many accumulated
hours.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

Old September 8th 03, 11:27 PM
S_Wallis

Here's a couple:

A new customer came to my shop the day I got my Wilder. I hadn't even
ridden it yet, and when he saw it his eyes lit up and he said "can I try
it?". Before I could say NO, he had hopped on and begun riding around
my shop between machines, workbenches, and all kinds of pointy things.
He made a full loop and came back, backed up 3 revolutions, dismounted
and caught the seat. I was impressed, and relieved. He was 50 years
old and said he had not ridden since he was 18! I have been trying to
get him into muni ever since, but he says his wife won't let him have
another hobby. He is, or maybe was, an avid surfer. Another good
balance sport, I suppose.

Another time I was at the park getting ready to ride when a police
officer saw me and started asking me about muni. He said he rode when
he was a kid and asked to try it. He mounted on about the second try.
It had been 20 years or so for him. He rode all the way around the
large parking lot and rode through the big group of bike patrol trainees
he was there with. You should have heard the reaction from all his
buddies.

There have been a few others, but these were the most fun.

Scott

--
S_Wallis - MUni motivated

"I am always doing that which I can not do,
in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Old September 9th 03, 03:18 AM
S_Wallis

Uni~vs~ U wrote:
*
I am super shocked to say that my wife signed for the package I
recieved today... My Torker!!!!!!,*

Are you shocked that it showed up, or that she accepted the delivery?

Good job on the riding, we knew you could do it! Stick with it, you
have some catching up to do. I hope it is as good for you as it has
been for me.

Scott