how do you change tyres??

Old April 8th 05, 04:59 PM
juggling_unicyclist_joe

Default how do you change tyres??

hi
i have had my tyre changed many times by my local bike shop and i am
intrested in knowing how to do it myself to save the cost of them doing
it for me.

an someone please let me know how to change my regular 20"x1.85" tyre to
a nice fat onza sticky fingers 20"x2.40" tyre?

thanks very much joe

--
juggling_unicyclist_joe - trials rider
juggling_unicyclist_joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9599

Old April 8th 05, 05:02 PM
ColDawG

just purchase some tire levers from your LBS (local bike shop) or an
outdoors store like R.E.I.
Just use those to pry each side of the tire out, and if you don't know
exactly how, just watch/ask the bikeshop guys. Some tires are big enough
that you can pry them off w/o tire levers, but when I'm riding, I always
bring my tire levers and a patch kit in order to fix flats. (To fix
flats just pry off one side of the tire and pull the innertube out)
good luck,
hope this helps

--
ColDawG - Level 4 after 2 months

Looking for MUni buddies!
ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503

Old April 8th 05, 05:56 PM
Mikefule

1) Deflate the tyre.
2) remove the wheel.
3) Push the valve stem as if you were trying to push it all the way
through the hole (in fact, you're just breaking any "stiction" there
might be.)
4) Work round the tyre, pushing the edges of the tyre towards the
centre line of the wheel, to break the contact between the tyre bead and
the rim.
5) Starting diametrically opposite the valve, use a tyre lever to hook
the bead and lever it out of the rim, on one side of the wheel only.
Don't pull it all the way, just make a gap.
6) Using another tye lever, lever out the next bit of bead (so the
levers should be only 2 - 4 inches apart (5 - 10 cm).
7) Once you have an "edge" you can quickly remove the rest of the
bead.
8) You have now removed one side of the tyre.
9) Carefully pull out the inner tube.
10) PUll the valve through the hole in the rim.
11) You have now removed the tube.
12) You should now be able to remove the other tyre bead easily. Use
levers if necessary.
13) You have now completely removed the tyre and tube.
14) Check that the rim tap is in position. This stops the ends of the
spokes digging into the tube. Also, make sure that the valve hole in
the rim tape is positioned over the hole in the rim!
15) Fit one side of the new tyre. You shouldn't need levers.
16) Carefully insert the tube, valve first, then making sure that the
tube is evenly around the rim, not folded or twisted. (Hint, a little
bit of air in the tube helps.
17) Push the valve stem down.
18) Important: starting at the valve, put the second edge of the tyre
into the rim. Make sure that it seats comfortably, and is not trapping
the base of the valve stem.
19) Working first one way then the other, put the rest of the tyre bead
into the rim.
20) Important: be careful to work evenly, and not to let the tyre drag
the tube so that the valve projects from the hole unevenly. It should
be at right angles to the rim.
21) Important: you will end up with a little bit of the bead that is
not back in the rim. This should be diametrically opposite the valve.
22) Work your way round the entire tyre, pushing the walls together
with finger and thumb to seat the tyre properly, and to ensure maximum
slack for when you put that last difficult bit in.
23) You should now be able to push that last difficult bit in. If you
have to use levers, be careful not to trap and tear the tube.
24) Double check that the tyre is evenly seated all the way round the
rim.
25) Inflate the tube, checking that the valve isn't trapped or under
any tension.
26) have a nice cup of tea and a biscuit.

--
Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!

Old April 8th 05, 06:21 PM
juggling_unicyclist_joe

i have no tyre levars is there anything else i can use to get it off?

Old April 8th 05, 06:39 PM
James_Potter

juggling_unicyclist_joe wrote:
*i have no tyre levars is there anything else i can use to get it off?
*

you should really buy some from your bike store. they're very cheap. but
if you choose not to, screwdrivers will work. except you probably need
someone to help you, and it's really hard, and there's a slight risk of
popping the tube.

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old April 8th 05, 06:41 PM
loosejello

Just buy some tire levers. They're way cheap, and they help a ton. If
you use something else, you risk damaging the rim, the tire, and the
tube.

--
loosejello
loosejello's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8295

Old April 8th 05, 10:37 PM
s7ev0

My dad always swore by nice, rounded end handled spoons in place of tyre
levers. They work for me, too. Some spoons are a bit namby-pamby
though, and bend far too easily. Plastic spoons are a definite no-no,
wooden spoons are too clumsy and ladles are just over the top.

--
s7ev0 - ************

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there
were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was
to blame but us. Remember accidents? ~ GILD
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

Old April 8th 05, 11:01 PM
Mikefule

Money spent on good tools is never wasted.

Money saved by bodging is usually spent on repairing the bodge.

A set of tyre levers costs about as much as a takeaway meal, and loads
less than a CD. For goodness' sake, don't be a cheapskate. Buy the
levers.

Old April 8th 05, 11:09 PM
forrestunifreak

I've poked the tube every time i've used screwdrivers.If you use them BE
CAREFULE.

--
forrestunifreak - Team YAMS member

Old school,new school,dont go to school.

Old April 8th 05, 11:09 PM
s7ev0

Mikefule wrote:
*Money spent on good tools is never wasted.

Money saved by bodging is usually spent on repairing the bodge.

A set of tyre levers costs about as much as a takeaway meal, and loads
less than a CD. For goodness' sake, don't be a cheapskate. Buy the
levers. *

Mike of course is absolutely right. But then I didn't get where I am
today by listening to those who are wiser than me.

--

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there
were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was
to blame but us. Remember accidents? ~ GILD
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

Fitting narrower tyres Jeremy Collins General 16 August 5th 04 12:21 PM
Tyres Doki Mountain Biking 11 April 23rd 04 01:06 AM
27"x 1 1/4" tyres nicoll UK 7 November 5th 03 08:43 PM
Puncture "proof" tyres Stephen Clark UK 6 October 12th 03 10:01 AM
Continental Sport Contact tyres David W UK 12 October 11th 03 09:00 AM