hill simulation for distance training

Old February 28th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
idiorythmic

Default hill simulation for distance training

I had a brainstorm which I need to confirm with the more experienced
riders: If I live in a flat area but want to prepare for hilly riding
conditions, would any of the following tricks be of any use?

~ fitting a drag brake and setting it to drag just enough to feel, and
leave it on for a few miles here and there

~ letting some air out of the tire, riding it softer than usual

~ putting some weight in a backpack (or on the frame of the uni)

I know that for the RTL qualifying rides there is a mileage factor to
compensate for lack of mountains, but I can't help thinking that riding
a few extra miles isn't quite the same, and when I hit a real mountain
incline I won't really be ready for it. Would any of the above
techniques do me any good for this purpose? (or is there something
else I haven't thought of)

Some options I considered but crossed off the list because they'd be
impractical for me: riding against the wind all day, traveling to a
hilly spot to practice.

Thanks for any advice!

--
idiorythmic
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
smcmorrow

I think any of those would work, especially the drag brake.
Another thing you could do is ride with a small parachute in tow, some
runners do this for resistance training. it might throw your ballance
off a bit though.

The best thing to do would be to find a really big hill and ride it
over and over again.

Peace
Seamus

--
smcmorrow

\"It's knot gonna make it!\" -threeinchtire
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

Hill climbing doesn't only require exerting yourself more. You also
have to pedal on an incline. So, your pedals line up differently when
you climb, and so does your body.

I think your ideas will make you stronger and more ready to climb
hills, but the only way to improve your hill -technique- is to actually
ride on hills.

--
phlegm
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mornish

if you have a treadmill maybe set it to the hill setting and ride on it?

--
mornish

aim:kiloornish
email: mornish at gmail dot com
msn: mornish at gmail dot com
'facebook' (http://hs.facebook.com/profile.php?id=681695483)

Brian O wrote:
You rode around naked on a unicycle in your basement? That's both mildly
creepy and hilarious.

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Your first suggestion should definitely help with the fitness level,
though it may lead to stinky brakes.

Your second suggestion will probably just annoy you and wear out your
tires faster.

Your third suggestion might be good in terms of balance training, but
probably won't have any effect in terms of riding hills.

There is no substitute to actually riding hills, and the best thing you
can do is go find some. I have the same problem, living in the Central
Valley it's very flat, nothing like the larger group of Bay area riders
who mostly have hills right out the door. I have to drive half an hour
or more to get to "real" hills. Depending where in the Detroit area you
are, there must be something you can head for, at least some of the
time. When in doubt, ride around where the rich people live; Bloomfield
and Beverly Hills. Or a little farther north, around the lakes there
are plenty of hills, though they're not mountains. For best results,
talk to your local road bikers. Ask around in the bike shops that cater
to roadies and they can probably hook you up with route maps or web
sites.

A drag brake won't simulate the narrower range of balance you have when
riding uphill, or any of the psychological factors of dealing with long
or steep climbs. Also there's no good way to simulate the downhill, and
that takes getting used to as well.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 08:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

A good headwind is the next closest thing. Don't pass up the windy
days.

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

Do you live in an absolutely flat area? No little hills at all?

If there are any little hills, find the steepest paths up them, and
ride them repeatedly without stopping. That's good hill training that
is.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Harley

Although maybe not the safest place to ride, you might try a local car
parkade that has numerous levels with lots of ramps.

--
Harley

Always remember: With patience and perseverance you can **** a hole
through a rock.
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mikefule

tomblackwood wrote:
A good headwind is the next closest thing. Don't pass up the windy
days.

Tom's right. When you're training hard on a unicycle, don't pass
wind.

The thing about riding up hill is that the wheel doesn't roll so much
with momentum. On the flat, once you are rolling along, you can keep
spinning smoothly. On a hill, at the weak part of the pedal stroke,
the wheel slows down. Therefore, riding up hill is a series of
deliberate accelerations and forced decelerations.

The nearest equivalent is riding into a strong headwind.

--
Mikefule

I've not lost the other wheel. I invested my tricycle in Northern Rock
shares.
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

I think the parashoot would force you to lean forward more, partially
simulating a hill. The slightest gust could throw you off though (like
a care driving by).

For strength, riding standing up for long periods should work, or an
UW.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.
Bob Burnquist on how to improve significantly.
'Trials Building'
http://www.usenet.com

Cheap altitude simulation? Scott Gordo Techniques 5 December 8th 07 02:51 PM
Hill climb training Peka Australia 19 October 30th 05 07:30 AM
Crash simulation website. Zoom Australia 13 August 16th 05 02:45 AM
"Altitude simulation was never so affordable! And it is COOL!" hippy Australia 2 October 4th 04 01:00 AM
Hill training on the bike Dave Australia 9 January 15th 04 06:14 AM