Near Miss of the Day 414: Driver overtaking cyclist at speed almosthits another head-on

Old May 22nd 20, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Near Miss of the Day 414: Driver overtaking cyclist at speed almosthits another head-on

QUOTE:
Police forces around the country are currently telling drivers (link is external) to "Slow down and save lives" as well as highlighting the need to be aware of increased numbers of cyclists on the roads - a message that clearly has not got through to the driver featured in today's Near Miss of the Day video, who in overtaking one rider at speed almost hit another head-on.

The video was filmed earlier this week in Somerset by road.cc reader Peter, who told us: "Here's a nice bit of driving I captured on Tuesday.

"I was cycling around Chew Valley Lake and this driver decided to overtake a cyclist on the other side of the road, but ended up coming too close to me at quite some speed.

"It looks to me like he was speeding round the previous bend and rather than slowing down just aimed for the middle of the road. Not quite the 1.5m overtake, though I thought that was for cars on the same side of the road.

"I've submitted it to Avon & Somerset Police and they replied yesterday morning (quick response) with the usual 'Thank you for taking the time to upload your footage which has now been processed (a warning letter or a fixed penalty or a prosecution has been issued)'.

"I did let them know that DVLA show the vehicle as untaxed and out of MOT though I think there's a 6 month grace with MOTs at the moment."

He's correct on that last point - although the extension (link is external) only applies on cars, vans and motorcycles that were due to have their MOT on or after 30 March, and not ones where it was due prior to that date.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...st-head-273709
Old May 22nd 20, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 22/05/2020 14:41, Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

Unless a vehicle is less than three years old (from first registration)
as at 30/03/2020, it will require an MOT before 30th March 2020 and one
after 30th March 2020.
Old May 23rd 20, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 14:41 22 May 2020, Simon Mason said:

[...]

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...t-hits-cyclist
-head-273709

"We're frequently asked in the comments on Near Miss of The Day (NMotD)
videos what's the point of running them?". I wondered that too.