A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

'Cycling changed my life': 5 people on why travelling on two wheelsis so addictive - LONG

Old May 31st 20, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster

Default 'Cycling changed my life': 5 people on why travelling on two wheelsis so addictive - LONG

QUOTE:
Ever noticed that most cyclists are absolutely nuts about cycling?

There is something about the sporting community, the opportunity to travel and healthy dose of competition that proves addictive for many.

Now that the Government is beginning to ease lockdown restrictions, and we are all allowed to enjoy unlimited outdoor exercise, many are now reaching for their lycra.

Perhaps you're considering starting to cycle to work soon to avoid public transport. Hopefully the roads will be safer places for cyclists in the future after the government pledged £2 billion of new investment towards new cycling and walking initiatives, and Boris Johnson suggested post-pandemic life " should be a new golden age for cycling."

For many, though, cycling is more than just a means of commuting. We spoke to five cycling fanatics about how the activity has changed their lives and the impact it has on their mental and physical health.
Dave, 32

Why do you think people get such a buzz from cycling? ​

"Initially I think it's the health benefits that interest people, but then you quickly realise the freedom a bike gives you – for me there's nothing quite like it. Whether it's setting off on a big tour or simply commuting home from work, I just feel free, and that's a huge buzz.

My partner Steph often feels quite claustrophobic in London and pines for the countryside, but I never do as cycling gets me out of the city and onto lovely country lanes all the time. The endorphin rush is also great, and I think this is hugely exaggerated by apps like Strava where you can see how much you're improving. The competitive element is really addictive, even if it's just with yourself."

Has cycling changed your life in some way?

"I often think that cycling has changed my life more than anything else. It's given me new friendships. I've seen parts of the country and world that I'd never have seen otherwise. I've physically pushed myself harder and further than I ever had before. I've found a form of exercise that I love and look forward to – perviously I'd have to force myself to go for a run or to the gym, but now exercise is a passion.

It's also given me highs like nothing else – the feeling of finishing a race or reaching the top of a mountain is incomparable. I'm literally always planning my next trip in my head, looking for inspiration, plotting maps, searching for epic mountain passes or routes. I love beach holidays and city breaks, but for me they don't come close to a cycling trip or tour.

Whether it's with friends where you ride all day, eat massive lunches and enjoy loads of beers in the evening, or solo where you just feel complete freedom and escapism, not having to answer to anyone else, just pushing and challenging yourself physically and mentally."
Lucie, 29
Why do you think people get such a buzz from cycling?

"It’s a very social sport, heading to Richmond Park for weekend rides with friends and coffees after is a great way to spend a sunny Saturday. It’s also quite gadget-led, so if you’re into the technical side of it, there’s loads to learn. Equally it’s pretty handy for getting to work – I really enjoyed cycling to work last summer up past Battersea and along the Thames, it’s a lovely way to start the day.

There’s something really magical about the start of a ride on a crisp autumn day, and the views when you reach the top of hills can be breathtaking (no pun intended). If you’re someone who also likes setting goals and ticking them off, getting to the top of an epic hill or finishing a long ride can feel really mentally and physically rewarding."

"Absolutely – my friends are all turning 30 now, and more and more of us seem to be getting into cycling. We’re hoping to take a cycling holiday together later on in the year and my other half and I like to explore the UK a couple of weekends a year by bike. I spent one of my last birthdays in the Peak District on a cycling weekend, staying in a shepherd’s hut in a field."

Are more women taking up cycling?

"Based on my experience, I often see more men than women when I’m out cycling or on Zwift (virtual cycling app). When I cycled to Brighton last year I think I only saw three or four other women the whole ride out of at least 30 other cyclists. That said, a lot of my female friends are really keen cyclists, including one who's completed an Ironman, and I think the sport is shifting, albeit slowly.

It’s a great group activity and whilst it can be a bit off-putting at first for anyone with the set-up costs of a bike and gear and mastering items like clip-in shoes, it’s really worth it – not only for the exercise, but the memories too."
Paul, 40

"Cycling gives you a sense of freedom. You can travel a long way with minimum effort and feel a sense of achievement as you got there under your own steam. I also learnt more about the city I loved and lived in by exploring it by bike than I ever would have stuffed in a tube carriage. Anyone can do it and there's a great sense of community, lots of information and grass roots support (British Cycling and Sustrans are amazing).

We have also seen great achievements in British cycling from both the women's and men's teams. Like most things, it's only as addictive as you want it to be. Apps like Strava can keep you motivated and focused on achieving your goals and pushing harder but sometimes it's nice to roll around the park and not worry about the stats. It's low impact so keeps me active and I love being outside – it's good for my mental health. I'm not a fair weather cyclist. My friends laugh when I remind them that skin is waterproof - so I'll be out wind, hail, rain or shine."

"I'm fitter and healthier than I've ever been in my life – and I owe that to cycling. As I have improved over the years my training has taught me discipline and focus and I take this attitude into my day job and life. As with everything, life is about balance. I have indulged in cycling specific holidays but, at the same time, I have lounged on a beach / enjoyed city breaks. At weekends I make sure I enjoy time both on and off the bike with family and friends."
Gaelle, 33

"Heart beating fast, wind against your face, beautiful scenery, friendly people, keeps you fit and coffee breaks to enjoy a delicious sweet guilt-free - need I say more? Cycling gives you so much more as it’s a way of life that empowers you. Just like yoga, riding is very peaceful, relaxing and calming. It nourishes your body and soul."

"Four years ago I jumped on a road bike and never looked back. As a country girl (from Brazil) living in Canary Wharf, the bike gave me the freedom I needed. Since that day, I have done four Ride Londons, attended two Tour de France final stages and founded the Canary Wharf cycling club to help empower others in their cycling journey.

Cycling has enriched my life as I feel stronger, more confident and happier.. I thoroughly enjoy joining others for a virtual ride or heading from Canary Wharf to Hyde Park to wind down after a hard day at work. It is also an incredible networking opportunity as you meet like-minded friendly people. As I spend all my free time on a bike, weekends and holidays are usually out riding."

Are more women taking up cycling?

"Cycling is still predominantly a man’s world and it will take time to change. However, there are increasing numbers of ladies getting into cycling especially during lockdown as there are less cars overall. Thanks to Boris Johnson’s investment into cycling that will help make the sport more accessible and cycling clubs that support their communities to help people ride in a safe environment, we should see diversity increase further. Exciting times."
Richard, 68

"Once you start doing it and realise how easy, convenient, cheap and time-saving it is for getting about, not to mention the health and social benefits, it becomes a normal thing to do. You don't even think of it as anything special. But I do get a buzz from a fast ride, achieving new Strava PRs, seeing wonderful scenery at bicycle pace. Yes, it is kind of addictive. You end up wanting more bikes and more time to cycle!"

"Yes. Almost every weekend I go out for at least one long ride with a club (100km+) and have taken occasional cycling holidays to ride up and down mountains or long distance cycle touring. It's become a hobby and leisure activity, not just a way of getting to work which was how I started."

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...-a4439156.html
Ads