Fiction writing is now over

Old May 30th 20, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Fiction writing is now over

On Sat, 30 May 2020 19:24:47 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2020 11:14:09 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

No you cannot crash through the window of a skyscraper from a
helicopter. The glass is essentially bulletproof and you couldn't
even cut a hole in it with anything under a hot .50 caliber round.

Are the external glass walls of skyscrapers bullet proof?
https://www.quora.com/Are-the-external-glass-walls-of-skyscrapers-bullet-proof

If you live in the right (and by right I mean wrong) place, your skyscraper
windows may be able to withstand a 2x4 being shot at it at 35 mph.

https://aerosealcorp.com/how-are-com...-for-strength/

I used to joke that the protective plastic film on our office windows
wasn’t there to keep thieves out, but to keep the office inhabitants from
leaping out the window in despair.

Did a Man Die Demonstrating a Window’s Strength?
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/window-strength-death/
"Our advice is to apply the same rule to architecture as
you do to computers: Don’t ever bet your life on windows
not crashing."

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 31st 20, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

Do you notice anything at all about that photo as unusual?
Old May 31st 20, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 29, 2020 at 8:55:57 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a4454736.html

We get all our fantasy apocalypse stories from the news.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Here is your brain on Frank's postings: https://tinyurl.com/ycpf89wr
Old May 31st 20, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Which photo? I dodn't see one on the Snopes page at all.

Old May 31st 20, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

The external glass bullet proof one.

The glass that is broken is all on the street side. This was the side protected from the direct wind by the building across the street. The windows on the 90 degree of that building are all intact from the looks of it. This quite plainly from flexing of the building and ridged window frames compressing the glass to its limit.

As for the picture of that body flying out the window - how would someone be in exactly the right spot at the right time and be able to catch that body hurling out the window like that? I suppose that an extremely wide focus camera could catch it but then it could only possibly be a very blurry picture considering that the death was to a man on the 14th story and you can see the individual cracks in that glass and I do not see the normal exterior plastic sheeting in the facture zones. That picture is probably a stunt photo and have no connection to the lawyer story. It is absolutely amazing how stunt men can fall incredible distances onto one of those inflatable nets.. They are so effective the fire departments have them to put under possible suicides.
Old May 31st 20, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

The darling of French painting in the 1950's was Yves Klein, a neurotic who obsessed about a single shade of blue: his painting were all in the single shade of blue (still known as International Klein Blue to the pretentious).. He made a publicity stunt of his first attempt at suicide, diving out of a window, with photographers handy. AS a consequence it wasn't news when he made a second attempt at suicide, thus no photographers turned up when he killed himself, for real this time.

Andre Jute
What can I say? A life in the arts is by definition bizarre.

Old June 1st 20, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Would that be a case of Death imitating Art?

Old June 1st 20, 09:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Heh-heh. To bring some of my partners who took themselves too seriously after I made them rich back to earth, I hired an Old Etonian to sit next to me in Board meetings, and every time I spoke, he would jump up on his chair, smack his forehead with an open palm, and shout out, "I wish I thought of that first!" It's my highest compliment, Master Muzi, that I wish I thought of it first. -- Andre Jute

PS: Here's a photo of Klein's first unsuccessful attempt attended by photographers:
https://artblart.files.wordpress.com...-void-1960.jpg

Old June 1st 20, 10:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

https://yandex.com/images/search?url=https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2016/08/hoycrash.jpg&rpt=imageview

As for the picture of that body flying out the window - how would
someone be in exactly the right spot at the right time and be able to
catch that body hurling out the window like that? I suppose that an
extremely wide focus camera could catch it but then it could only
possibly be a very blurry picture considering that the death was to a
man on the 14th story and you can see the individual cracks in that
glass and I do not see the normal exterior plastic sheeting in the
facture zones. That picture is probably a stunt photo and have no
connection to the lawyer story.

Despite the file name suggestively including that of Mr. Hoy, it's a
(puppet?) stunt photo, at a different building, and a crumbling-type glass.

Tech lesson learned: When bonked, dazed and riding into a rear window in
search for food, never rely on a weak window frame! It's safer to first
detonate the glass like a professional, especially when wearing a styrofoam hat.

The darling of French painting in the 1950's was Yves Klein, a neurotic
who obsessed about a single shade of blue: his painting were all in the
single shade of blue (still known as International Klein Blue to the
pretentious). He made a publicity stunt of his first attempt at
suicide, diving out of a window, with photographers handy. AS a
consequence it wasn't news when he made a second attempt at suicide,
thus no photographers turned up when he killed himself, for real this
time.

https://www.laboiteverte.fr/les-coulisses-du-saut-dans-le-vide-dyves-klein

It seems you took some artistic liberty in representing his stunt. And for
whatever reason, be it Dr. Fauxi, cloroxqueen doctors, French catholicism,
or Klein's widow intending to purify her husband's legacy, a series of heart
failures is commonly listed as Klein's cause of death.

If I ever find a dilapidated bike with a Klein frame worth repainting, I'll
try to find out if standard ultramarine blue is close enough to IKB.
https://encycolorpedia.com/00387b

Would that be a case of Death imitating Art?

Klein also worked with gold foil and asked to get atomic bombs painted blue.
Had he opted for a career in engineering or with the French Air Force, he
probably would have volunteered to become the first astronaut on a French
mission to Mars, intending to paint everything blue there.
Old June 1st 20, 01:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 10:32:01 AM UTC+1, Sepp Ruf wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Yves Klein was a proponent of "performance art". In the opinion of many, he was more performance than art. But you'd better believe the heart attack as the real cause of his death. It happened in public in circumstances he couldn't control, and he had a history of heart problems.

If I ever find a dilapidated bike with a Klein frame worth repainting, I'll
try to find out if standard ultramarine blue is close enough to IKB.
https://encycolorpedia.com/00387b

I suspect that the International Klein Blue still offered by the Parisian colourman who mixed it for Yves Klein is a chemical lookalike to lapis lazuli, and thus pretty near to French Ultramarine (there are two common Ultramarines, one red-leaning, one green-leaning). My wife, who collects stones, has some raw lapis lazuli from Afghanistan that I once eyed with my mortar and pestle in hand, but the color wasn't quite what I was trying to match, seen on a Klimt painting. You can still get genuine lapis lazuli paint but it is generally of a poor quality. I have a tube from Schmincke; it's crap, made from poor quality stone, about the nasty shade of Payne's Grey, like thunderclouds. Daniel Smith also has a "lapis lazuli" made from rock sourced in South America but I wasn't impressed with that one either. Probably the best genuine lapis lazuli you'll find today is made by Zecchi in Firenze but even they sell it as an expensive novelty for those who do restorations or amateurs who insist on "authenticity": modern ultramarines looks more like the color one expects lapis lazuli to be.

See here how successfully my friend Marialena Sarris mimicked lapis lazuli with Ultramarine and probably cobalt: https://www.marialenasarris.com/still-life-paintings/

Would that be a case of Death imitating Art?

Klein also worked with gold foil and asked to get atomic bombs painted blue.
Had he opted for a career in engineering or with the French Air Force, he
probably would have volunteered to become the first astronaut on a French
mission to Mars, intending to paint everything blue there.

Klein wasn't much into Truth in Art.

Andre Jute
Author of Colour for Professional Communicators
http://coolmainpress.com/andrejutebooksnonfic.html

The Holy Bible!....Utter tosh or brilliant fiction? Ronald Tompkins[_2_] UK 9 February 19th 12 09:44 PM
Fact Stranger than Fiction Davey Crockett[_5_] Racing 1 February 3rd 12 10:13 PM
cyclists can't tell truth from fiction Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 24 April 28th 11 02:36 PM
Science Fiction hemyd Australia 4 March 31st 06 12:29 PM
Fact, Fiction, Lies, and Bullshit [email protected] Techniques 117 April 23rd 05 05:38 AM