Go cycling to stop the spread of coronavirus

Old May 31st 20, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Go cycling to stop the spread of coronavirus

QUOTE:
I READ an online article recently that was titled ‘A new normal’: how coronavirus will transform transport in Britain’s cities’.

The article talked about how cycling and walking are going to be the way forward in terms of transport in cities, starting with London.

This is because public transport doesn’t support social distancing, and if everyone were to start driving, the roads would be in gridlock.

This seemed to me, to be absolutely BRILLIANT news!

Not only will walking and cycling lessen the spread of the coronavirus, but it will also reduce pollution in cities, therefore helping to tackle the climate crisis!

I know that Stroud, in comparison to London, is a very green area.

However, I strongly believe that we can always do more than we currently do!

By walking and cycling more as a community, we can help prevent another wave of Covid19, get more exercise, possibly improve our mental health, and become a greener community!

I am really enjoying hearing stories on the news of various species of wildlife growing in numbers once again.

Storks, for example, have laid eggs in the wild in England for the first time in over 600 years, having last bred in England in 1416!

Don’t you want the natural world to keep thriving after the lockdown has been lifted?

Choosing to walk or cycle into town/to school/to the park, instead of driving, is one step closer to acting against the climate crisis.

Yes, it’s a small step, but it is a step all the same.

So I’m calling on all community leaders (including our local MP, other local political party leaders, head teachers, neighbourhood wardens and business leaders) to take action!

What can you do to promote cycling and walking around Stroud?

But it’s not just community leaders that can take action.

Everyone can! So the next time you go out, ask yourself the question of, whether, instead of taking the car, you could walk or cycle to your destination?

Together we can initiate change, for the benefit of the environment and for our own health.

Thank you for reading,

https://www.gazetteseries.co.uk/news...d-coronavirus/
Old May 31st 20, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 31/05/2020 11:22, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

In what way is cycling (within in the same atmospheric space as
pedestrians, particularly on footways) less likely to spread coronavirus
than driving in a car (preferably with the windows closed)?

Hint: the answer is that it isn't. Travelling in a self-directed
enclosed motor vehicle with no fellow passengers save for members of
one's own household is very obviously safer for oneself and for other
citizens.
Old May 31st 20, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]

On 31/05/2020 13:08, JNugent wrote:
On 31/05/2020 11:22, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:
Â* I READ an online article recently that was titled ‘A new normal’:
[...]

Some people ride sometimes on a foot path , but ALL motorists poison
the air I breathe!
Old May 31st 20, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 31/05/2020 14:33, colwyn wrote:
[...]

So you can't or won't attempt an answer to the question. I didn't
believe that anyone would.

You'd rather risk a lungful of virus from a cyclist passing two feet
from you (if you're lucky)?

Why does that not ring true (no matter how you put it)?
Old May 31st 20, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]

On 31/05/2020 14:44, JNugent wrote:
[...]

I am not partial to cancer either!
Old May 31st 20, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 31/05/2020 14:47, colwyn wrote:
[...]

You're digging the hole deeper.
Old May 31st 20, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]

On 31/05/2020 14:57, JNugent wrote:
[...]

I am not obsessed - calm down!
Old May 31st 20, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

JNugent wrote:

On 31/05/2020 11:22, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:
I READ an online article recently that was titled A new normal: how coronavirus will transform transport in Britain' cities.

The article talked about how cycling and walking are going to be the way forward in terms of transport in cities, starting with London.

This is because public transport doesn't support social distancing, and if everyone were to start driving, the roads would be in gridlock.

https://www.gazetteseries.co.uk/news...d-coronavirus/

In what way is cycling (within in the same atmospheric space as
pedestrians, particularly on footways) less likely to spread coronavirus
than driving in a car (preferably with the windows closed)?

I don't think that the linked article actually claimed that cycling is
less likely to spread coronavirus than driving in a car. The bloke who
wrote it, Matthew Holmes, stated, "...cycling and walking are going to
be the way forward in terms of transport in cities, starting with
London. This is because public transport doesn't support social
distancing, and if everyone were to start driving, the roads would be
in gridlock."

Hint: the answer is that it isn't. Travelling in a self-directed
enclosed motor vehicle with no fellow passengers save for members of
one's own household is very obviously safer for oneself and for other
citizens.

I think that is true. But isn't the point being made in the article
that not everyone can safely enclose themselves in their cars and
drive, instead of using unsafe public transport, because that would
gridlock roads? And, hence the requirement for more walking and more
cycling.

Old May 31st 20, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

I READ an online article recently that was titled ‘A new normal’: how coronavirus will transform transport in Britain’s cities’.

The article talked about how cycling and walking are going to be the way forward in terms of transport in cities, starting with London.

This is because public transport doesn’t support social distancing, and if everyone were to start driving, the roads would be in gridlock.

This seemed to me, to be absolutely BRILLIANT news!

Not only will walking and cycling lessen the spread of the coronavirus, but it will also reduce pollution in cities, therefore helping to tackle the climate crisis!

Moreover, unlike flu, cold, SARS, CV-19 attacks the vascular system. Keeping blood pressure, cholesterol and other heart disease factors down gets you back on the street much faster.

Bret Cahill

Old May 31st 20, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 31/05/2020 15:25, Kelly wrote:
JNugent wrote:

[...]

If the writer is concerned to see less virus transmission, he ought,
logically, to be pressing for as much car and van use as possible.

We don't have gridlock. And to the extent that it is approached in some
(a few) places, much of the blame lies squarely with local authorities
which have sabotaged the highway network so as to deny its efficient use
to those who need to use it.

Cycling in London could increase tenfold after coronavirus lockdown,TfL says Bod[_5_] UK 5 May 8th 20 01:42 PM
Cycling is booming during coronavirus – let’s keep it that way Simon Mason[_6_] UK 1 April 27th 20 08:00 PM
Cyclists caused the coronavirus Mike Collins UK 6 March 10th 20 11:31 AM
Coronavirus Mike Collins UK 7 March 1st 20 05:40 PM
How to stop cycling Matt O'Toole General 1 December 13th 06 02:48 AM