Cyclist left badly injured after kicked off bike

Old May 31st 20, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

Default Cyclist left badly injured after kicked off bike

Pamela wrote:

On 15:31 31 May 2020, Kelly said:

Pamela wrote:

On 17:08 30 May 2020, Mike Collins said:

On 10:44 30 May 2020, Simon Mason said:

QUOTE: A CYCLIST has shared shocking images of his injuries after he
was kicked off his bike at 26mph, in hopes that witnesses will come
forward.

Ian Thompson was riding his bike on the road between Toronto Lodge,
in Bishop Auckland, and Howden-le-Wear, on May 21, when at about
5.15pm he was kicked off by a motorist at speed.

The individual was driving a red Honda motorbike, and was suspected
to have been travelling in convoy with a silver Vauxhall Vectra.

The 51-year-old, who works at Lanchester Dairies, said: "I do about
7,000 mile a year, and I do a lot of road miles autumn through to
spring, then winter time I tend to try and keep on the tracks.

[...]

Witnesses told police that Mr Thompson was kicked off his bike at
speed.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/ne....cyclist-left-
badly-injured-kicked-off-bike/

Pictures of an injured male cyclist in his underwear. Pounder's idea
of heaven.

More intriguing is the mindset behind the gentleman's extensive tattoos.

You're a star, Pam. If you really are going flat out for the most
bizarre post of the year, even without 'the crow flying around', I think
this one of yours edges all the competition by some distance.

Do you mean that once a person has more than a given number of tattoos
they somehow deserve to be kicked off their bicycle while travelling at
26 mph? What about their number of piercings, should that also be taken
into account? And what if they have ginger hair, can they then be kick
off even if they have no tattoos or piercings?

I also wonder at the motorbike and car travelling "in convoy".

Maybe this event has more background to it than meets the eye.

Well, you're the one with the psychic abilities (maybe a photo of the
road would have helped) but I'm saying no more...

Kelly, it's self-defining that people who have very extensive tattoos are
dealing with self-image and usually self-image inadequacy. Google to find
how over-represented tattooed people are in the mental health system.
Your ignorance about this surprises me.

But what has all this to do with the issue at hand? Unless, that is,
you are suggesting the cyclist's self-image is the reason all this
happened to him.

Of course cyclists with tattoos or mental health problems should not be
random targets...

Great. I am glad to hear you don't think cyclists with 'extensive'
tattoos should be random targets (although, I don't know why you have,
in your previous sentence, for the first time ever, introduced the
problems of mental health).

...and I note your valiant but utterly fruitless efforts to tarnish me as if I had said that.

No, sorry, Pam, that's wrong. I asked for clarification of what you
thought the relevance was in bringing up the number of tattoos a
cyclist had, with the fact that he had been kicked off his bicycle. I
also wondered if, whatever you thought the relevance was, could also
apply to a cyclist with too many piercings or even ginger hair - hence
the abundance of question marks with all that I wrote in that regard.

I am also intrigued that a motorcyclist and car could be said to be in
convoy by simply passing bystanders. How would you, personally, be able
to spot a convoy of motorbike and car as it passed you? Do tell.

Surely, you must have seen two cars in tandem convoy as they travel
along a road weaving in and out of other traffic as they try to keep
up with one and other. The occupants of each vehicle often jeering and
throwing gestures at each other as they go along. And similarly, a car
and a motorbike riding in tandem convoy can be obvious with similar
weaving, jeering and gesturing. It doesn't happen all the time, but it
does happen. Surfer's on their way to the beach, for example, that's
happened for as long as I can remember.

It further struck me the two parties (the cyclist and the little convoy)
might possibly have known one another. I prefer to see if the police get
to the bottom of this...

Yes, that's a good idea. Although, something tells me the cyclist's
tattoos will not play a significant part, or indeed any part
whatsoever, in this.

...unless you have some special knowledge of this
situation to impart as your vigorous reply suggests.

No... is that what my reply suggested to you? If my reply was
'vigorous' it may have been because I felt you were suggesting you had
'some special knowledge of this situation' when I couldn't see how
that could reasonably be so. Although, I will concede, maybe that in
itself doesn't warrant a vigorous reply.

As an aside, I know you dislike cyclists but may I ask if you also
dislike tattoos and piercings, too? (The ginger hair bit was just
mentioned as a joke)?

Old May 31st 20, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

Pamela wrote:

[...]

By gum, Kelly, are you having a quiet day and nothing else to do but
parade your ignorance at length? You have wilfully reversed cause and
effect in what I said and clearly are not keeping an open mind. There
seems little point in re-inforcing your prejudices.

It is clear the cyclist is not the full shilling and it's clear he
encountered some wacky road users. I don't buy his total memory loss
story and feel there's more of something like score settling going on but
we will have to wait for the police findings to know.

I am astonished you think such an incident is perfectly a normal accident.
Perhaps you will now write me another essay to show how much you have
misunderstood of what I've said. The best I can offer is to print any
further epic reply and use it as toilet paper if I run out.

PS: Are you taking drugs today?
Old May 31st 20, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

Pamela wrote:

By gum, Kelly, are you having a quiet day and nothing else to do but
parade your ignorance at length?

Was it something I said?

You have wilfully reversed cause and
effect in what I said and clearly are not keeping an open mind. There
seems little point in re-inforcing your prejudices.

But I am doing my utmost to keep an open mind. I know I give the
benefit of the doubt to cyclists and I support them as underdogs, but
I still believe in responsible cycling which follows the Highway Code.

It is clear the cyclist is not the full shilling...

What, because he has too many tattoos for your liking?

...and it's clear he encountered some wacky road users. I don't buy his
total memory loss story and feel there's more of something like score
settling going on but we will have to wait for the police findings to know.

I wish you had just written that in the first place, it needs no
further clarification.

I am astonished you think such an incident is perfectly a normal accident.

A few thugs having 'a bit of a laugh' at a cyclist's expense is hardly
a perfectly normal accident.

If the guy who was attacked by a crow's shadow had a few too many
tattoos could we have said he was not the full shilling and score
settling was going on there, too?

And if this latest cyclist to be kicked off his bike wasn't a
deliberate attack on him just because he was a cyclist, how come he is
talking so freely to the press, having photographs of his injuries
taken and so on. Shouldn't he be taking his medicine and keeping a low
profile in case details of the score settling come out?

Perhaps you will now write me another essay to show how much you have
misunderstood of what I've said. The best I can offer is to print any
further epic reply and use it as toilet paper if I run out.

I've tried to spare you that.

PS: Are you taking drugs today?

I should be so lucky.

Old May 31st 20, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 7:41:45 PM UTC+1, Kelly wrote:

But I am doing my utmost to keep an open mind. I know I give the
benefit of the doubt to cyclists and I support them as underdogs, but
I still believe in responsible cycling which follows the Highway Code.

If only more drivers knew the Highway Code, there'd be less carnage and deaths out there. Sadly not though.

QUOTE:
How well do YOU know the Highway Code? The six rules even experienced drivers forget - including the correct place to display your SatNav and not using your phone to pay at the drive-thru. Most British drivers are unaware of several Highway Code rules, research shows. Some even admit to unknowingly breaching them in a survey of 1,470 Brits

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...destrians.html
Old May 31st 20, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]

On 31/05/2020 19:50, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 7:41:45 PM UTC+1, Kelly wrote:

But I am doing my utmost to keep an open mind. I know I give the
benefit of the doubt to cyclists and I support them as underdogs, but
I still believe in responsible cycling which follows the Highway Code.

If only more drivers knew the Highway Code, there'd be less carnage and deaths out there. Sadly not though.

QUOTE:
How well do YOU know the Highway Code? The six rules even experienced drivers forget - including the correct place to display your SatNav and not using your phone to pay at the drive-thru. Most British drivers are unaware of several Highway Code rules, research shows. Some even admit to unknowingly breaching them in a survey of 1,470 Brits

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...destrians.html

Phew, some years ago I overtook a dawdler in a rain storm, when I
noticed a Bobby on the pavement just as I passed the slow driver. A look
at my speedo encouraged me to take my foot of the accelerator and return
swiftly to the kerbside. Unfortunately for the Bobby there was a massive
puddle where he stood and the drenching he got from my manoeuvre was eye
watering. My inner self wrestled for a short time and my subsequent
u-turn to apologise and repair the damage was rebuffed from him when I
tracked him down in a shop door way rather sodden with the words, "Nay
laddie t'was the Bas*ard in front of ya!"
It's the sort of thing one can't forget
Old June 1st 20, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 19:41 31 May 2020, Kelly said:

Pamela wrote:

[...]

My suspicions include the possibility of the tattooed cyclist and convoy
members knowing one another.

As an aside, have you ever seen any of the "Just Tattoo of Us" tv series,
originally on MTV and now on Amazon Prime? The participants are not the
most balanced people you'll ever come across.

Sorry to hear about your disappointment at the lack of drugs.

Old June 1st 20, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 31/05/2020 18:25, Kelly wrote:

Pamela wrote:

[ ... ]

I am also intrigued that a motorcyclist and car could be said to be in
convoy by simply passing bystanders. How would you, personally, be able
to spot a convoy of motorbike and car as it passed you? Do tell.

Surely, you must have seen two cars in tandem convoy as they travel
along a road weaving in and out of other traffic as they try to keep
up with one and other. The occupants of each vehicle often jeering and
throwing gestures at each other as they go along. And similarly, a car
and a motorbike riding in tandem convoy can be obvious with similar
weaving, jeering and gesturing. It doesn't happen all the time, but it
does happen. Surfer's on their way to the beach, for example, that's
happened for as long as I can remember.

Luckily, *I* have never seen such a thing in nearly a million miles of
driving over the decades. You have obviously been very unlucky.

I *have* seen emergency vehicles of various sorts, including those
performing blood and human tissue deliveries, being accompanied and
faclitated by police officers on motorbikes and in cars, with the police
officers racing ahead to traffic lights to halt cross traffic and wave
the emergency crew through the junction irrespective of the colour of
the lights and similar at "give way" junctions and roundabouts. Some of
that experience comes from being brought up near a large regional blood
transfusion centre.