Former Olympic champion Victoria Pendleton reveals macho MAMILS tryto overtake her

Old May 31st 20, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Former Olympic champion Victoria Pendleton reveals macho MAMILS tryto overtake her

She has tattoos as well - obviously has low self-esteem!
QUOTE:
Olympic champion Victoria Pendleton has revealed male cyclists try to overtake her when she is out cycling on the roads.

The athlete, 39, from Bedfordshire, shared a self-portrait on Instagram alongside a lengthy caption explaining that she often found it 'funny' when it occured.

She revealed: 'If I’m out about on my road bike and I overtake a man for example .... I will hear a rapid crunching gears as they try to “make amends for it”, occasionally combined with a mumbling of “I must of been daydreaming...like they need an excuse!”'

She added: 'It doesn’t bother me I think it’s funny. I’ve always been underestimated because of the way I look....one day I want to be intimidating.'

In the portrait, Victoria could be seen gazing at the camera while wearing a plain white t-shirt. The former Strictly Come Dancing star's number of tattoos include Medusa on her upper arm, a snake running down her forearm, a deer skull surrounded by flowers and a bird on her right forearm.

Posting the snap yesterday, Victoria wrote: 'Just another day in lockdown, I was asked if I had any current portrait shots...not really. 'The way I appear has changed so much in the last few years, and to be perfectly honest, I rarely get recognised.

'I think I am quite nondescript....which is no bad thing. It allows me to be a chameleon which I enjoy.'

She went on to explain how male cyclist often try to overtake her on the road, not realising that she is an Olympic athlete.

She said: '[It's] usually followed with a pedal mashing (usually short lived) stomp back past me.' The athlete added that it 'doesn't bother her' because she has 'always been underestimated.'

After her cycling career ended, Victoria switched to horse riding, qualifying as an amateur jockey.

In 2016 she achieved her goal of taking part in the Foxhunter Chase at Cheltenham. On her left forearm she sports a horse in full flight – first unveiled in June 2018 on Epsom Derby Day.

Only the previous month Miss Pendleton pulled out of a charity expedition to climb Everest, suffering from oxygen deprivation at 20,977ft.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...take-bike.html
Old May 31st 20, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 19:22 31 May 2020, Simon Mason said:

She has tattoos as well - obviously has low self-esteem!

QUOTE: Olympic champion Victoria Pendleton has revealed male cyclists
try to overtake her when she is out cycling on the roads.

Sadly enough Victoria Pendleton has mental health issues

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/5921/...up-about-menta
l-health-battle

Just like our highly esteemed government I'm guided only by science ...

People With Tattoos More Likely to Also Have Mental Health Issues

A new study has discovered that people with tattoos were more likely to
be diagnosed with mental health issues and to report sleep problems.

Researchers also found that people who had tattoos were more likely to
be smokers, to have spent time in jail, and to have a higher number of
sex partners in the past year.

https://psychcentral.com/news/2019/0...more-likely-to
-also-have-mental-health-issues/142332.html

Once upon a time tattoos marked group idenitity such as sailors, inmates,
gangsters or bikers. Nowadays the overwrought and narcissistic have
joined the club.

Do you have tattoo, Simon?
Old June 1st 20, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

Pamela wrote:

On 19:22 31 May 2020, Simon Mason said:

She has tattoos as well - obviously has low self-esteem!

QUOTE: Olympic champion Victoria Pendleton has revealed male cyclists
try to overtake her when she is out cycling on the roads.

Sadly enough Victoria Pendleton has mental health issues

Proving that even Olympic track cycling gold medalists are human. We
have to be kind to one another because we are all imperfect.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/5921/...up-about-menta
l-health-battle

Just like our highly esteemed government I'm guided only by science ...

Won't this be the same government that you've been slating for being
guided by the 'wrong' science ever since the coronavirus landed on our
shores, though?

People With Tattoos More Likely to Also Have Mental Health Issues

A new study has discovered that people with tattoos were more likely to
be diagnosed with mental health issues and to report sleep problems.

Researchers also found that people who had tattoos were more likely to
be smokers, to have spent time in jail, and to have a higher number of
sex partners in the past year.

https://psychcentral.com/news/2019/0...more-likely-to
-also-have-mental-health-issues/142332.html

Oh look, you have, somewhat disingenuously, failed to include the very
next sentence included in your given link:

Quote:

However, the survey-based study also found that having tattoos was not
significantly related to overall health status.

Unquote.

So claiming, for example: "It is clear the cyclist is not the full
shilling..." simply because they had more than some arbitrary number
of tattoos would be unjustifiable, wouldn't it?

Do you have tattoo, Simon?

Careful, Pam, your fangs are showing.

Old June 1st 20, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 11:23:21 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
joined the club.

Do you have tattoo, Simon?

Nope, no way - in Hull they are a symbol of feral scum and I don't have a mobile fern either.
Old June 1st 20, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 01/06/2020 09:39, Kelly wrote:

Pamela wrote:
[...]

Hmmm... I don't have a dog in the fight (and certainly don't have any
tattoos and never would), but that exchange seems to indicate that
whilst tattoos are not necessarily related to *overall* health, there is
a positive correlation between tattoos and *mental* health and other
(lifestyle) personal chacteristics.

Let us remind ourselves:

QUOTE:

People With Tattoos More Likely to Also Have Mental Health Issues

A new study has discovered that people with tattoos were more likely to
be diagnosed with mental health issues and to report sleep problems.
Researchers also found that people who had tattoos were more likely to
be smokers, to have spent time in jail...
ENDQUOTE

If you are going to seize upon the sentence you highlighted (and fair
enough for that), you have to respect the whole of the article. It is
safe to assume it isn't going to be right when it says something you
agree with and wrong when it says something you disagree with.

So claiming, for example: "It is clear the cyclist is not the full
shilling..." simply because they had more than some arbitrary number
of tattoos would be unjustifiable, wouldn't it?

Probably. The most that can be said on the basis of the article, and
accepting it as valid, is that the person mentioned is "statistically
more likely than average to be [less than the full shilling, or whatever
alternative descriptor is used]".

Old June 1st 20, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 09:39 1 Jun 2020, Kelly said:

Pamela wrote:

On 19:22 31 May 2020, Simon Mason said:

She has tattoos as well - obviously has low self-esteem!

QUOTE: Olympic champion Victoria Pendleton has revealed male cyclists
try to overtake her when she is out cycling on the roads.

Sadly enough Victoria Pendleton has mental health issues

Proving that even Olympic track cycling gold medalists are human. We
have to be kind to one another because we are all imperfect.

Absolutely. Poor mental health is not a joke.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/5921/...eton-opens-up-
about-mental-health-battle

Just like our highly esteemed government I'm guided only by science ...

Won't this be the same government that you've been slating for being
guided by the 'wrong' science ever since the coronavirus landed on our
shores, though?

I had hoped the way I put it made that self-explanatory. Yup, it's the
same government with the same self-serving selection of science. Trouble
is the scientists are breaking ranks and over the weekend are saying they
don't approve of today's easing of the lockdown. It's off to the Gulag
for them then.

https://psychcentral.com/news/2019/0...-tattoos-more-
likely-to-also-have-mental-health-issues/142332.html

Oh look, you have, somewhat disingenuously, failed to include the very
next sentence included in your given link:

Quote: However, the survey-based study also found that having tattoos
was not significantly related to overall health status. Unquote.

So claiming, for example: "It is clear the cyclist is not the full
shilling..." simply because they had more than some arbitrary number of
tattoos would be unjustifiable, wouldn't it?

My comment is was not based upon a count but on the extent. An engineer
(you perhaps?) might have calculated the surface area.

Do you have tattoo, Simon?

Careful, Pam, your fangs are showing.

Does the man in the pictures in the link below look normal to you? Maybe
you will tell me he's an ordinary chap who just so happens to have a
preference for facial decoration. I say he's disturbed to want such a
thing.

https://tinyurl.com/not-normal
Old June 1st 20, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 10:34 1 Jun 2020, Simon Mason said:

On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 11:23:21 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
joined the club.

Do you have tattoo, Simon?

Nope, no way - in Hull they are a symbol of feral scum and I don't have
a mobile fern either.

No mobile is unusual. You have posted pictures which show you like
technology and gadgets, so I would have assumed you would be a fan of
smartphones.
Old June 1st 20, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

Pamela wrote:
[...]

I am not sure that is right. Given that your overall health is
related to a balance of the six dimensions of health, then your
overall health includes your mental health along with your physical,
social, spiritual, environmental and emotional health. Following on
from that, if your having tattoos is not significantly related to your
overall health, it must also similarly not be significantly related to
your mental health. How could it be otherwise?

Just for the record, I don't have any permanent tattoos either.
Nevertheless, "40% of people between ages 18 and 29 have at least one
tattoo" - does that *clearly* mean anything at all in regard to mental
health issues?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...udy-finds.html

Let us remind ourselves:

QUOTE:

People With Tattoos More Likely to Also Have Mental Health Issues

A new study has discovered that people with tattoos were more likely to
be diagnosed with mental health issues and to report sleep problems.
Researchers also found that people who had tattoos were more likely to
be smokers, to have spent time in jail...
ENDQUOTE

If you are going to seize upon the sentence you highlighted (and fair
enough for that), you have to respect the whole of the article. It is
safe to assume it isn't going to be right when it says something you
agree with and wrong when it says something you disagree with.

I though it was somewhat unfair not to include that sentence when
making the point that people with tattoos are more likely to also have
mental health issues (a broad vague claim with no real detail given -
for example, we don't know how many tattoos or surface area of skin
covered, etc., are indicative of what degree of risk of likely mental
health issues). And I do, anyway, understand the sentence, I
highlighted, as meaning tattoos do not significantly relate to your
overall health status which includes your mental health.

So claiming, for example: "It is clear the cyclist is not the full
shilling..." simply because they had more than some arbitrary number
of tattoos would be unjustifiable, wouldn't it?

Probably.

Probably? Sorry, I think it has to be more than that. Clearly, as we
all know, means obviously and without doubt. So, would anybody go up
to that gentleman who had been kicked off his bicycle with photographs
to show his injuries and tell him that, based upon the tattoos he has,
he is clearly not the full shilling? How can that be justified?

The most that can be said on the basis of the article, and
accepting it as valid, is that the person mentioned is "statistically
more likely than average to be [less than the full shilling, or whatever
alternative descriptor is used]".

Well, yes, you can (uncharitably) say that - but, surely, stating that
he clearly is [less than the full shilling or whatever] goes well
above and beyond what you have just said in your last sentence there.

Old June 1st 20, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/5921/...pens-up-about-

https://psychcentral.com/news/2019/0...toos-more-like
[...]

In this very branch, I related mental health to the extent of tattoos.
You didn't answer when I asked if you had the technical nous to calculate
surface area but your current misunderstanding answers it.

As I wrote there about teen tattoos: Nowadays the overwrought and
narcissistic have joined the club.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...628921/People-
tattoos-sexual-partners-mental-health-issues-study-finds.html

for example, we don't know how many tattoos or surface area of skin
covered, etc., are indicative of what degree of risk of likely mental
health issues).

Sadly for you, there are no absolutes and no formulas to unpick. If you
are interested in "six dimensions of health" then you will understand how
one factor impacts another to cause an overall effect.

And I do, anyway, understand the sentence, I highlighted, as meaning
tattoos do not significantly relate to your overall health status which
includes your mental health.

It's too much of a stretch to expand "health" used to mean specifically
dermatological health and apply it to only mental health. Your ideas
seems to be jumping.

So claiming, for example: "It is clear the cyclist is not the full
shilling..." simply because they had more than some arbitrary number
of tattoos would be unjustifiable, wouldn't it?

Probably.

Probably? Sorry, I think it has to be more than that. Clearly, as we
all know, means obviously and without doubt. So, would anybody go up
to that gentleman who had been kicked off his bicycle with photographs
to show his injuries and tell him that, based upon the tattoos he has,
he is clearly not the full shilling? How can that be justified?

My goodness. Whoever said to go and tell the fallen cyclist anything at
all? Where did you get that from?

Surely your extrapolated nonsense is a product of recreational drugs
because, if not, it would represent a mind off its rocker. Have you ever
been diagnosed or investigated for dissociative states?

You can see your faulty logical method if someone were to reply to your
last word above ("justified") with a diatribe on the lack of justice (get
it?) in a world of motorists for cyclists.

Old June 1st 20, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Pamela wrote:
[...]

That is correct as far as it goes, but all that the passage meant -
surely - was that there is a correlation with mental health but not
ncessarily with any other aspect of health?

Saying that it is not correlated with overall health can't be taken as
meaning that it is not correlated with *any* health aspect. That would
make a nonsense of the language used.

Just for the record, I don't have any permanent tattoos either.
Nevertheless, "40% of people between ages 18 and 29 have at least one
tattoo" - does that *clearly* mean anything at all in regard to mental
health issues?

Apparently so, if the article has any vailidity at all, that is (and I
don't make any comment on that except for saying that you can't pick and
choose - either it has authority throughout or it doesn't).

[...]

It doesn't mean that at all.

It means "more likely than not".

So, would anybody go up
to that gentleman who had been kicked off his bicycle with photographs
to show his injuries and tell him that, based upon the tattoos he has,
he is clearly not the full shilling?

Why does that matter?

How can that be justified?

You see, that's what the concept of "correlation" is and what it boils
down to: probability (being more likely than not).

The most that can be said on the basis of the article, and
accepting it as valid, is that the person mentioned is "statistically
more likely than average to be [less than the full shilling, or whatever
alternative descriptor is used]".

Well, yes, you can (uncharitably) say that - but, surely, stating that
he clearly is [less than the full shilling or whatever] goes well
above and beyond what you have just said in your last sentence there.

Please re-read what I said. I was not endorsing that last bit, hence its
being in parenthesis. If you want to use a more PC description, that's
fine with me.

It might, for instance, be worded:

"The most that can be said on the basis of the article, and accepting it
as valid, is that the person mentioned is "statistically more likely
than average to have mental health problems".

I'm not sure that that means anything very different, mind.

Victoria Pendleton Squashme UK 1 May 28th 13 08:52 PM
Interview with Victoria Pendleton Clive George UK 2 October 28th 08 08:04 PM
Victoria Pendleton Tim Hall UK 0 April 7th 08 11:44 PM
Victoria Pendleton Wos 21st March David Lloyd UK 1 March 15th 08 05:27 PM
Talking to Victoria Pendleton Sierraman Racing 0 January 13th 05 07:58 AM