Maybe this would make the roads safer!

Old November 25th 05, 03:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Maybe this would make the roads safer!

http://tinyurl.com/7vehw

edit: looks like I put that one through long url!

--
PiledHigher

Old November 25th 05, 04:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle

The article starts:
KUWAIT CITY (AFP) - Foreigners in oil-rich Kuwait must be university graduates and draw a salary of not less than 1,370 dollars a month in order to obtain a driver's licence.

That would be a start, but what to do about the locals?

Old November 25th 05, 04:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Donga Wrote:
The article starts:
KUWAIT CITY (AFP) - Foreigners in oil-rich Kuwait must be university
graduates and draw a salary of not less than 1,370 dollars a month in

order to obtain a driver's licence.

That would be a start, but what to do about the locals?

Same, maybe!

--
PiledHigher

Old November 25th 05, 04:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Donga wrote
That would be a start, but what to do about the locals?

PiledHigher wrote:
Same, maybe!

I've got this mental image of wheelbarrow lanes for all the tradies.
And chucking stubbies at them from my bike.

Donga

Old November 25th 05, 04:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle

PiledHigher wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/7vehw

edit: looks like I put that one through long url!

"Foreigners in oil-rich Kuwait must be university graduates and draw a
salary of not less than 1,370 dollars a month in order to obtain a
driver's licence.

A number of professionals like doctors, teachers, judges and accountants
are exempt from some of the conditions."

I wonder whether they won't need degrees or do doctors, lawyers and
accountants in Kuwait earn less than $350 per week?

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old November 25th 05, 06:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 13:38:55 +1100, PiledHigher wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/7vehw

That reminds me of what someone once told me about
the high cost barrier to private driving in Singapore. He
said that it kept the numbers down, but those who /could/
afford it were even more arrogant on the road than the
average here.

Old November 25th 05, 10:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Peter McCallum" wrote in message
news:1h6l501.1paqpm51p1xy68N%p5m8.REMOVETHIS@yahoo .com.au...
PiledHigher wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/7vehw

edit: looks like I put that one through long url!

"Foreigners in oil-rich Kuwait must be university graduates and draw a
salary of not less than 1,370 dollars a month in order to obtain a
driver's licence.

A number of professionals like doctors, teachers, judges and accountants
are exempt from some of the conditions."

I was in Kuwait earlier this year and, funnily enough, they let us drive on
the roads!!!! It is pretty well chaos on the roads there and over half of
the vehicles are giant Chevvy Suburbans, Chevvy Blazers, or Ford F Trucks
(fuel is pretty cheap over there). Also would see the occasional Commodore
(Chev Lumina), Statesman (Chev something), or Magna...... that was pretty
weird.

The road that we mainly travelled on was a freeway with about 4 lanes going
each way and a speed limit of 120km/h. We would be overtaking in the left
hand lane at 120km/h and then someone would scream past us in the parking
lane on the left (between us and the barriers) at about 150km/h. Use of
indicators seemed to be pretty much a novel concept that hadn't quite caught
on yet.

Didn't see any locals riding pushbikes although each of the US bases had a
whole heap of el-cheapo "Jeep" dual suspension mtbs in desert cam colours.
Not surprised really given that it was at least 50 degrees C for pretty well
the whole time I was there. It was weird at car parks as the cars were
fitted with a system that allowed the keys to be removed but the engine to
keep running to keep the air con going!!!!

Needless to say, was glad to leave the place.

Ride On,

Gags

Old November 26th 05, 05:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Gags gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au wrote:

The road that we mainly travelled on was a freeway with about 4 lanes going
each way and a speed limit of 120km/h. We would be overtaking in the left
hand lane at 120km/h and then someone would scream past us in the parking
lane on the left (between us and the barriers) at about 150km/h. Use of
indicators seemed to be pretty much a novel concept that hadn't quite caught
on yet.

George Negus' book on Islam has a good insight into driving in Dubai,
which sounds similar. He says most drivers believe that it is God's will
whether they arrive safely, so it doesn't matter how you drive.

Peter
--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

dangers of rural roads wafflycat UK 48 May 18th 05 10:25 AM
MAKE THOUSANDS!!!! [email protected] General 6 March 30th 05 07:42 PM
Sunday Times: Death row: Britain's most dangerous road Sufaud UK 45 September 28th 04 09:06 PM