Name that noise....

Old August 1st 06, 01:01 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
mamba

Default Name that noise....

I have a creaking sound coming from my drivetrain when pedaling under
load. It seems to only happen when I'm on the large ring up front, and
seems to emanate from the area around the ring.

At first I thought it was a seatpost creak, but greasing didn't help.
I had suspected a bottom bracket, but the cranks seem to turn without
the slightest hint of problems when it's on a stand. I've usually been
able to feel slight catches or grinding/vibration if there is a BB
issue. There is also zero play sideways in the cranks.

So I'm wondering if the cause could be a chain. Not sure if chains
creak with wear, it's well lubbed and doesn't seem ready for
replacement yet.

The other weird thing is that lately I've been pedalling into the
office a couple of days per week. It doesn't seem to creak on the way
in, but it does on the way home. Funny, because there's a lot more
uphill coming in, which would make me think there would be more load.

The bike is a Klein Adept Race circa 2001. The BB is original, but the
bike really doesn't have that many miles on it.

Trying to avoid a lengthly (and $$$) diagnostic appointment at my LBS.
Any ideas appreciated.

Old August 1st 06, 01:28 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
CowPunk

pedal spindle bearings.

Old August 1st 06, 01:57 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
cc

CowPunk wrote:
pedal spindle bearings.

I second that. I just replaced
my BB and chain on my townie,
which didn't remove the
creaking . .
Old August 1st 06, 02:31 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
tom

I doubt if it's the chain. You might also check the chainring bolts?
After re-reading your post, also check the saddle rails/clamp, maybe.

Old August 1st 06, 05:26 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Raptor

mamba wrote:
I have a creaking sound coming from my drivetrain when pedaling under
load. It seems to only happen when I'm on the large ring up front, and
seems to emanate from the area around the ring.

A similar sound puzzled the hell out of me until I addressed all
possible sources except the saddle. It can sound like a drivetrain if
you're not real careful.

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,
Old August 1st 06, 05:38 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Michael Halliwell

Raptor wrote:

mamba wrote:

I have a creaking sound coming from my drivetrain when pedaling under
load. It seems to only happen when I'm on the large ring up front, and
seems to emanate from the area around the ring.

A similar sound puzzled the hell out of me until I addressed all
possible sources except the saddle. It can sound like a drivetrain if
you're not real careful.

Ditto....I had a bolt on by saddle work loose and it sounded like the
drivetrain until I went on a "seek and destroy" mission for the creak.

Psycho Mike
Old August 1st 06, 06:19 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
cc

Michael Halliwell wrote:
Raptor wrote:

mamba wrote:

I have a creaking sound coming from my drivetrain when pedaling under
load. It seems to only happen when I'm on the large ring up front, and
seems to emanate from the area around the ring.

A similar sound puzzled the hell out of me until I addressed all
possible sources except the saddle. It can sound like a drivetrain if
you're not real careful.

Ditto....I had a bolt on by saddle work loose and it sounded like the
drivetrain until I went on a "seek and destroy" mission for the creak.

Psycho Mike

Stand up and mash. If the
sound is still periodic with
your turns of the crank, it's
likely drivetrain related.
Old August 2nd 06, 04:08 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Raptor

cc wrote:
Michael Halliwell wrote:
Raptor wrote:

mamba wrote:

I have a creaking sound coming from my drivetrain when pedaling under
load. It seems to only happen when I'm on the large ring up front, and
seems to emanate from the area around the ring.

A similar sound puzzled the hell out of me until I addressed all
possible sources except the saddle. It can sound like a drivetrain if
you're not real careful.

Ditto....I had a bolt on by saddle work loose and it sounded like the
drivetrain until I went on a "seek and destroy" mission for the creak.

Psycho Mike

Stand up and mash. If the sound is still periodic with your turns of the
crank, it's likely drivetrain related.

That was the thing that really had me going. I ruled out the drivetrain
pretty quickly, but there were a bunch of suspension bolts beneath me
that I gave a lot of attention. I also pondered whether it was a weight
load issue. When your butt's adapted to the saddle, by definition it's
insensitive to your shifting weight. That can conceal any noise made by
your weight shifting on the saddle.

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,

Tic/Tinkle Noise From Loose Ball Hubs?? [email protected] Techniques 37 August 22nd 05 09:35 PM
Noise from Sidi Dominator shoes? B. B. Kosicki Techniques 3 July 21st 05 06:51 AM
Finally found the noise Gags Australia 7 April 4th 05 05:27 AM
Help! Strange clunking noise... Matthew Myatt UK 4 September 1st 03 01:32 PM