Odd noise

Old February 28th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Odd noise

By the end of my ride today, the temperature dropped from 47 to 33
degrees because a cold front blew down from the north.

Luckily, the wind blew up the long climb from the foot of the dam to
the top of the ridge west of town, so I sat bolt upright and enjoyed a
wind-assisted 13 mph climbing speed where I normally stay down on the
drops and am happy to see 8-10 mph.

Half-way up the ridge, I began to hear an odd repeating noise that
seemed to come from somewhere below and behind me.

Whoosh-whoosh-whoosh!

Maybe my leg or foot was brushing something? I felt nothing, but the
noise seemed to be keeping pace with my pedaling.

Whoosh-whoosh-whoosh!

A quick look down showed no shoe straps dangling, no torn pants
flapping, no embarrassing streamer of toilet paper stuck to either
heel.

Whoosh-whoosh-whoosh!

I ducked my head further and peered back down at my rear wheel, but
there was no trash stuck in my spokes.

Whoosh-whoosh-whoosh!

A more careful look showed that my rear tire wasn't brushing the right
side of my frame.

Whoosh-whoosh-whoosh!

Another look showed nothing brushing the left side of my frame, but--

Whoosh-whoosh-whoosh!

Ten feet behind me was a damned tumbleweed, keeping perfect pace with
me as it blew up the highway, bouncing up and down as it tumbled and
making a fairly regular whoosh-whoosh-whoosh noise as it kept hitting
the asphalt.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Old March 1st 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

wrote: (clip) Whoosh-whoosh-whoosh! (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I would get that fixed before it fails catastrophically.

Old March 1st 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 07:29:34 -0700, Paul Cassel

By the end of my ride today, the temperature dropped from 47 to 33
degrees because a cold front blew down from the north.

Think how disorienting it would have been had that cold front blown in
from the south.

Here too Russian thistles are a springtime hazard.

Dear Paul,

Strangely, cold fronts that blow up from the south bring the heaviest
snowstorms to Pueblo.

When moist air from the Gulf of Mexico wanders up from the south and a
low pressure system sets up over Albuquerque, New Mexico, the front
stalls against the mountains, cools, and dumps heavy snow, sometimes
for several days:

"ALBUQUERQUE LOW - When a low pressure system is over or near
Albuquerque, New Mexico. During the winter season, a low in this
position can bring heavy snow to parts of southeast Colorado."

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pub/wcm/media.pdf

In contrast, cold fronts from the north usually blow through Pueblo in
a few hours and bring little snow. The one that caught me out riding
yesterday left about a quarter-inch of snow, which has all melted this
morning.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 2nd 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 06:46:16 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

In article ,

On 2007-02-28,
wrote:

Whoosh-whoosh-whoosh!

Ten feet behind me was a damned tumbleweed, keeping perfect pace with
me as it blew up the highway, bouncing up and down as it tumbled and
making a fairly regular whoosh-whoosh-whoosh noise as it kept hitting
the asphalt.

Did you scold it for jumping on your wheel without asking first?

Oh those tumbleweeds are notorious wheelsuckers, and you just can't talk
to them.

Dear Kristian & Ryan,

Here's the peloton on a previous ride:

http://i1.tinypic.com/2dir7t0.jpg

That's just flat-out creepy. I mean, wow. I guess you get used to it,
but surely the first time you see this sight, you're compelled to get
your camera out and...

Right.

Neat shot, Carl!

Old March 2nd 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

there's a morel!! off course. never ever not once lest you turn into a
blue horny toad squashed on the interstate ride on hearing a noise
can't be identified and not stop to figure just what the *&^%!!!!
()*&SOB is going on there!

Name that noise.... mamba Mountain Biking 7 August 2nd 06 04:08 AM
Name that noise booner Techniques 17 April 16th 06 03:40 AM
freewheel noise? Callistus Valerius Techniques 10 August 2nd 05 06:22 PM
Another odd noise Lee UK 16 March 22nd 04 09:20 AM
Noise help Richard Jones Australia 3 January 27th 04 12:00 AM