Bonking after 20 miles?

Old July 2nd 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

Default Bonking after 20 miles?

In article ,
"Zen Cohen" writes:
Rode into the wind for 15 miles w/ about 16.5 mph pace. About 5 miles into
the return trip I felt very fatigued. My usual heartrate is around 155 bpm
and was having trouble sustaining a pace that would keep me at 135. I ate a
granola bar and felt a little better but not much. I had a meal of about 800
calories two hrs before the ride but have been on a significantly
reduced-cal diet the last few weeks.

I've never bonked this early into a ride, but that's what it felt like. Is
it possible to bonk after this short a ride and having eaten a full meal a
couple hrs before? If so, is it possible that the low-calorie diet left my
glycogen stores too low for this short a ride? Thanks for any comments.

Bonking is an extreme condition, like fainting.
You just ran out of gas -- that's no good, either.

But I bet a can o' Coca-Cola woulda fixed ya up
in no time.

It really takes a vast amount of work & deprivation
to truly bonk.

Next time, pack along some Scots pies and/or date-nut
squares. Or chocolate fudge brownies.
Or cowboy cookies. Or those li'l sachets of sugar
you get from Starbucks to put into your take-away
coffee -- just pour 'em into your water bottle.
A lot of folks like fig newtons, 'cuz they don't
crumble and fall onto the road before you can get
a mouthful. My own homemade date-nut loaf is like
rocket fuel for cyclists. I make two kinds, depending
on where your mind is.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Old July 2nd 07, 07:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

Zen Cohen wrote:
Rode into the wind for 15 miles w/ about 16.5 mph pace. About 5 miles
into the return trip I felt very fatigued. My usual heartrate is
around 155 bpm and was having trouble sustaining a pace that would
keep me at 135. I ate a granola bar and felt a little better but not
much. I had a meal of about 800 calories two hrs before the ride but
have been on a significantly reduced-cal diet the last few weeks.

I've never bonked this early into a ride, but that's what it felt
like. Is it possible to bonk after this short a ride and having eaten
a full meal a couple hrs before?

Apparently, yes.

If so, is it possible that the
low-calorie diet left my glycogen stores too low for this short a
ride? Thanks for any comments.

Wind blows. Err, sucks. Umm, you used up a lot of energy fighting Mother
Nature.

Old July 2nd 07, 11:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

Zen Cohen wrote:
:: Rode into the wind for 15 miles w/ about 16.5 mph pace. About 5
:: miles into the return trip I felt very fatigued. My usual heartrate
:: is around 155 bpm and was having trouble sustaining a pace that
:: would keep me at 135. I ate a granola bar and felt a little better
:: but not much. I had a meal of about 800 calories two hrs before the
:: ride but have been on a significantly reduced-cal diet the last few
:: weeks.
::
:: I've never bonked this early into a ride, but that's what it felt
:: like. Is it possible to bonk after this short a ride and having
:: eaten a full meal a couple hrs before? If so, is it possible that
:: the low-calorie diet left my glycogen stores too low for this short
:: a ride? Thanks for any comments.

Yes, especially since you had been doing a "signficiantly reduced-cal diet"
for the previous few weeks.

Your body can store roughly 2000 kcals of glycogen...in your muscles and
liver....and since you were undereating prior, you were depleted before the
day started. That 800 cal meal didn't replenish you completely and than you
started riding...fairly hard because of the wind. The 800 probably wasn't
all carbs, either

So yes, you can bonk even if you eat...it depends on what you eat and what
kind of exercise you're doing. Without the wind, it might have been
different.

Old July 2nd 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole

Zen Cohen wrote:
Rode into the wind for 15 miles w/ about 16.5 mph pace. About 5 miles into
the return trip I felt very fatigued. My usual heartrate is around 155 bpm
and was having trouble sustaining a pace that would keep me at 135. I ate a
granola bar and felt a little better but not much. I had a meal of about 800
calories two hrs before the ride but have been on a significantly
reduced-cal diet the last few weeks.

I've never bonked this early into a ride, but that's what it felt like. Is
it possible to bonk after this short a ride and having eaten a full meal a
couple hrs before? If so, is it possible that the low-calorie diet left my
glycogen stores too low for this short a ride? Thanks for any comments.

I doubt it, I think you just had an off day.
Old July 2nd 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Claire Petersky

"Zen Cohen" wrote in message

Is it possible to bonk

Was it a hot day? One time I thought I bonked, but in retrospect, it was
probably heat exhaustion.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old July 2nd 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kenny

On Jul 2, 2:04 pm, "Zen Cohen" wrote:
Rode into the wind for 15 miles w/ about 16.5 mph pace. About 5 miles into
the return trip I felt very fatigued. My usual heartrate is around 155 bpm
and was having trouble sustaining a pace that would keep me at 135. I ate a
granola bar and felt a little better but not much. I had a meal of about 800
calories two hrs before the ride but have been on a significantly
reduced-cal diet the last few weeks.

I've never bonked this early into a ride, but that's what it felt like. Is
it possible to bonk after this short a ride and having eaten a full meal a
couple hrs before? If so, is it possible that the low-calorie diet left my
glycogen stores too low for this short a ride? Thanks for any comments.

For me bonking means you are about to fall off the bike due to
exhaustion and you're only still upright because of share will power
and the need to get something to eat "NOW!" By your description I'd
say maybe you haven't been eating properly lately and this has
impacted your performance but I wouldn't call it bonking.

Old July 2nd 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SlowRider

On Jul 2, 12:04 am, "Zen Cohen" wrote:
Rode into the wind for 15 miles w/ about 16.5 mph pace. About 5 miles into
the return trip I felt very fatigued. My usual heartrate is around 155 bpm
and was having trouble sustaining a pace that would keep me at 135. I ate a
granola bar and felt a little better but not much. I had a meal of about 800
calories two hrs before the ride but have been on a significantly
reduced-cal diet the last few weeks.

I've never bonked this early into a ride, but that's what it felt like. Is
it possible to bonk after this short a ride and having eaten a full meal a
couple hrs before? If so, is it possible that the low-calorie diet left my
glycogen stores too low for this short a ride? Thanks for any comments.

How low is "significantly reduced-cal"? If it's only about 500kCal/
day below your normal (e.g., 1500kCal/day vs. 2000kCal/day), and if
you're increasing your caloric intake when you need to account for
exercise (roughly 600kCal/hr. @ 16mph), then I don't think it should
impact your performance too much. More than that, though, and I might
expect some weakness.

How much riding have you been doing? It could make a difference if
this was your first ride in a few days or if you'd been riding at the
same intensity 3-4 days in a row.

Also, how was your hydration? I find that I drink about 30-50% more
on warm summer days than I do for a comparable ride in the winter.
It's easy to overlook.

-JR

Old July 3rd 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zen Cohen

Default "Bonk" chart from Garmin GPS (was Bonking after 20 miles?)

Thanks for the helpful responses. Has anyone tried Garmin's GPS bike
computers? I got one for Father's Day and the info it yields is pretty
amazing. I uploaded the data from my "bonk" ride yesterday to
motionbased.com and can see where I started losing stamina around mile 19.
If you're interested, go here
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3192511 and click on 'speed,'
then click on the chart. Beginning around mile 15 I was pretty much going
with the wind. Dunno how interesting my info is to y'all but the computer is
cool. I think I'm going to get one with the integrated HRM. I luv gadgets!

"Zen Cohen" wrote in message
Rode into the wind for 15 miles w/ about 16.5 mph pace. About 5 miles into
the return trip I felt very fatigued. My usual heartrate is around 155 bpm
and was having trouble sustaining a pace that would keep me at 135. I ate
a granola bar and felt a little better but not much. I had a meal of about
800 calories two hrs before the ride but have been on a significantly
reduced-cal diet the last few weeks.

I've never bonked this early into a ride, but that's what it felt like. Is
it possible to bonk after this short a ride and having eaten a full meal a
couple hrs before? If so, is it possible that the low-calorie diet left my
glycogen stores too low for this short a ride? Thanks for any comments.

8 miles -- 12 miles commute [email protected] UK 24 June 15th 07 10:37 AM
12 days to 30 miles, 50 miles, 70 miles [email protected] UK 0 February 20th 07 08:56 AM
I got some miles in on a 29"r Sofa Unicycling 11 September 18th 03 12:58 PM
Most Miles Yet... paco Unicycling 5 August 21st 03 10:29 PM
Bonking and food for a ride Sandy Christmus General 38 August 9th 03 08:44 PM